Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts, July 2, 2019) Movie • Page 53

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 1, 2018.

1. I think audiences want a good movie and will go see a good movie.

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Counterpoint: Black Panther and Spider-Verse are the two best superhero movies of this era and they’re largely isolated

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I thought audiences did too but then they ate up FFH. That movie made over a billion so quality isn’t exactly the overall selling point on the MCU. It’s the universe itself and the character interactions.

4. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Disagree about Black Panther, but agree with the sentiment. When I think about the superhero movies that stick out to me as being the best, they're ones that have little to no connection to any larger universe. Spider-Verse, Dark Knight, Logan etc.

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I still think Batman Begins is better than most MCU films.

Lenin likes this.
  6. Nathan

It is

justin. likes this.
  7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Explain why Far From Home and Homecoming both made more than Spider-Verse when it was better than both. You'd have to be ignorant to think a lot of the casual audience doesn't want to continue seeing Peter interact and be in the shared universe that Tom's character has always been in.

8. Nathan

Aside from Happy, what MCU characters does Peter have an actual dramatized relationship with?

9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Oh, we're at that stage of this conversation now. *sigh*

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  10. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Never thought I’d see the day when we’d be arguing which multi billion dollar company is the nice one

11. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

It's just not the characters, but the events from past films, which the Spider-Man films have relied heavily on. Every villain so far has had a connection with Stark and will either have to be dropped or change of motivation. Every suit Peter has used has been made with Stark tech or Shield tech and will have to be dropped. They wouldn't be able to reference Thanos, the snap or the blip hiwhc has a major effect in that world. etc.

12. Well, the easy answer is because one is an animated movie and most people don’t go see those on a regular basis. You’d have to be silly to think most of the casual audience cares more about a cameo for thirty seconds than a good or entertaining movie. Which is why there are other blockbuster movies all the time that make a whole lot of money that are not in the MCU ... including .. uh .. that other very successful Spider-Man related Sony movie ... Venom.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  13. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

This isn't just about cameos. It's about the character and the rules of said universe being established in other films and now they'll have to strip them clean in the 3rd film of the series and 6th appearance of the character in the "shared universe". There's a reason a huge amount of the internet is flipping out. People, other than the ones on this site, don't want to watch Peter be in a shared universe only to be taken away with the same actors still involved.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  14. Nah, you can write around that shit really easily. Them not mentioning any of it at all and just making an awesome Spidey movie with would be just fine. If people liked the writers and directors and actors so far, they should enjoy another movie from them. (I think they’re pretty meh Spider-Man movies, so, I’m expecting another meh Spider-Man movie where Marvel die-hards lose their shit on because of a studio name in the credits.)

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Holland’s Spider-Man is at a perfect point to branch off on his own and could in theory give us some great films, so long as the script isn’t a mess. Out of all the Marvel characters, his is the least reliant on shared universe nonsense.

16. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

...I liked both Spider-Man movies a lot :shrug:

oakhurst and oncenowagain like this.
  17. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Sorry, pick one and suffer the scrutiny that the other side will bury you with

GrantCloud likes this.
  18. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Never. Spidey rules no matter the context (except Spider-Man 3)

19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

every nolan batman movie, even with how annoying TDKR is, is better than every non-spiderverse marvel movie

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Nah, TDKR was a snoozefest for me

Lenin likes this.
  21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it isn’t great but neither is the mcu

Nick and RyanPm40 like this.
  22. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Ah maybe I misunderstood, I thought you were including the other 5 Spider-Man movies made by Sony. I'll take Spider-Man 2 and ASM2 over TDKR any day

Lenin likes this.
  23. Nathan

Marvel has largely been so bad at dealing with the resonant thematic consequences of their movies that a Holland Spider-Man movie that ignores the rest of the MCU is very easy by design of the MCU.

24. Nathan

Also Spider-Verse and SM2 > nearly every other superhero movie, will not be reading replies

Sean Murphy likes this.