Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts, July 2, 2019) Movie • Page 52

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This is not my area of expertise, but I did a little catching up on this story, and the articles I read pointed towards this not being quite as done of a deal as a lot of this talk suggests. As in the negotiations are still on-going. It kinda seems like one side or the other thought this would look worse for the other side and wanted to get this story out there to help their cause.... Are we definitely beyond that type of stuff here?

DrAlanGrant and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I really didn't like this movie, & the narrative around Sony not knowing what they're doing has always been much ado about nothing, & they're still seemingly continuing w/ Jon Watts (BOO) & Tom Holland, so whatever. Plus, as much as I like my Marvels & my Star Wars, screw Disney as a company, y'know?

So, yeah, I'm very cool w/ this.

3. Tim

One fun element of this is, if they get to keep this Spider-Man that everyone loves (except you, me, & Jason; Jon Watts minus Kevin Feige is scary), with how Venom worked out... They've basically ended up w/ their own foundation for a small shared universe like what they attempted to rush into w/ ASM2. My expectations for Morbius are pretty tempered due to Jared Leto, but still.

Granted, especially w/ the death of Fox, what interests me is different types of Marvel films, not a second shared continuity. But still, if we got an absolutely bonkers Spider-Man: Planet of the Symbiotes film w/ Tom Holland & Tom Hardy teaming up (after mandatory initial fight), w/ maybe another character or two thrown in, I'd be so very into that.

Zilla and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  4. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Thing is, no matter how good it might be, it's never gonna get a fair shake. Everybody has already decided that a live action Spider-Man movie outside the MCU is going to be garbage.

Tim, DrAlanGrant and Jason Tate like this.
  5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I’m always gonna side on Sony for “Spider-Man” because of “Spider-Verse.” Disney would have never taken a chance like that and I’m grateful it exists. Also, Disney sucks.

6. Tim

Imagine how people would've talked about some of what happened in Far From Home had it been a non-Marvel Studios film. Look at some of the stuff people complain about in the ASM films & Venom, & then look at those ridiculous drone glasses & that identity reveal.

I'd never wanna sound like one of those Zack Snyder stans who whine about Marvel Studios, lol, especially since a large chunk of my personal favorite comic book films do happen to be Kevin Feige productions. But, like, MCU stans are also super annoying.

7. [​IMG]

8. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

After reading more about this situation NO WAY this actually stands, they’ll reach a deal - for better or worse.

9. I've been saying this for a long time now and I firmly believe it. The next Sony film could be better than the last two, and it'll not get the same pass from Marvel fans for this very reason.

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I have no doubt they’ll reach a deal, but I wish they wouldn’t.

11. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'm all for Sony making good Spider-Man movies. I mostly just want Tom Holland to stay Spider-Man because I've enjoyed him in the role. I'd be super interested in seeing Holland and Hardy on screen together, too. Like @Tim, Jared Leto is my main concern with Morbius. With how much money they made on Venom, they have a lot of opportunity to make something great with the characters they have. It can definitely work.

Also, I'm just here for all of the superhero content, so I'm cool with things being different from the MCU, even though I still enjoy that.

Tim likes this.
  12. Tim

Guys, what if Sony just crossed Spider-Man over w/ their Valiant universe instead?

Tom Holland's Spider-Man vs Vin Diesel's Bloodshot.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Nick, Zilla, Henry and 2 others like this.
  14. Tim

The ratio on this tweet, lol, Marvel Studios stans on Twitter are losing their shit.

Also, some people are pointing out that this happened on Andrew Garfield's birthday, lol.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

17. ... everyone is having a normal one in this thread:

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 5.20.36 PM.png

Tim likes this.
  18. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

"they want a little bit more"

Gotta say, I would love to live their life if jumping from 5% first dollar gross to 50% of the total box office is just a little bit to them.

Tim likes this.
  19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

"They Want A Little Bit More" could really be the subtitle to a book about Disney right now - innocuous seeming words at first glance, but honestly deeply disturbing the more you think about them.

Zilla and TEGCRocco like this.
  20. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

This is how I see it as well. I don't see both studios not coming to some sort of compromise.

21. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I think it’s because audiences want to see Spidey be in and interact with the overall Marvel universe and not just in a shared Spidey universe. A mediocre Spider-Man film is good in the eyes of the audience so long as it feels like he is part of the larger universe that they saw him in be it games, comics, shows, etc.

22. Or they’re just ridiculous

23. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I miss movies about Spider-Man just being Spider-Man. I think the MCU movies are slightly better than the ASM movies but the ASM movies are closer to what I want in scope.

disambigujason and TEGCRocco like this.
  24. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

That's such a weird attitude to me. I'd much rather have a Spider-Man trilogy with the quality of Spider-Verse with 0 connection to anything outside of the movies in that trilogy than a Spider-Man trilogy that scrapes by on being connected to a larger universe.

25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

That’s just the type of post-Avengers comic book movie world we’re in now. The pandora’s box has already been opened and audiences liked it. There’s not really any going back for the majority of them now.