Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts, July 2, 2019) Movie • Page 48

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 1, 2018.

1. What are the inflation adjusted numbers for the other movies?

2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I can only find the domestic adjusted numbers, but all of the Raimi films would have made over a billion based on how much their domestic numbers increased.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jul 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 14, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

my main problem with this is that Tony Stark isn't a hero, if Elon Musk could spy on us all and kill us that would be bad
    also the vacation was shoehorned in

make Zendaya the hero and not the love interest

4. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

If Elon Musk was part of a team that brought half of all life back and then sacrificed himself he would be called a “hero”

Tony Stark was known more as an Avenger that fought against aliens and didn’t revolt against the government like Cap. I can see why he would be called a hero.

BornToRun likes this.
  5. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

Christian Romero likes this.
  6. oakhurst Jul 14, 2019
    oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

He’s THE hero of the MCU.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

let me rephrase that EDITH is a scary concept
    We need to talk about EDITH in 'Spider-Man: Far From Home'
    also it's hard for me that they never reckon with how Tony and Bruce Wayne's wealth and power would have real world consequences

but I understand that the movie isn't going to say the dead guy who defeated Thanos was doing some scary shit, maybe saying he's the villain is too far but his military work definitely killed people

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. Which, many of us have argued for a long time now, is the core problem with the MCU. :shrug:

RyanPm40 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

His tech is presented as heroic or, as in the case with Edith, inconsequential/taken for granted as “good” in this movie when there are serious moral implications that previous MCU movies (Iron Man/IM3/Age of Ultron) tried to reckon with to varying degrees of success. This movie didn’t try.

RyanPm40 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  10. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Practically all superhero stories have pretty inherently fascist subtext since they're predicated on the idea that there are a group of people who are just inherently better than the rest of the world and could dominate it if they wished. Some try to directly grapple with it, like Alan Moore's Watchmen, but some just revel in it, like Zack Snyder's adaptation of Watchmen

11. Nathan

A lot of the best Superman and Spider-Man stories grapple with that well.

Tim and RyanPm40 like this.
  12. oakhurst Jul 14, 2019
    oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

That was the main purpose of Iron Man, which is arguably one of the best CBM. Tony realizing his military weapons do more harm than good and choosing to use his money and power for something else (ultimately leading him to create technology that saves humanity and billions of others)

Stark did sometimes make tech with the best intentions that weren’t good ideas (Ultron for example). He would learn from his mistakes, though, which I think is a good lesson. A flawed hero that realizes his mistakes and strives to do better.

13. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I forget whether I really did and watched it somewhere, but it was talking about Tony and what he was trying to do. It talked about his attempts to build a shield around the earth and how he failed with stuff like Ultron. But ultimately, he succeeded. He leaves behind The Avengers. They may change who is involved moving forward, but he helped bring together a group of mighty heroes who will act as the shield the earth needs . Tony has earned his final rest.

14. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Stark: I'm going to stop making weapons for people with unchecked power

Also Stark: *Creates weapons for himself, with unchecked power*

I realize I'm being simplistic here lol.

15. Nathan

Yes, all that stuff is the thematic thrust of MCU Iron Man, but EDITH existing, let alone being left to Peter Parker, let alone allowing Peter the capability to hand it over to anyone in the world on a whim, flies in the face of all that

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

That goes back to Tony always doing things with the best intentions but not fully thinking of the consequences. He probably never thought Peter would be spying on a guy who took photos of him with the Edith glasses and accidentally have drones sent to him or that Peter would easily give the glasses away to a grand illusionist. He trusted Peter and Peter goofed. Just like how he took the suit from Peter in Homecoming I guarantee he would have taken the glasses from Peter until he proved he was ready.

17. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

But the fundamental premise of there being a guy who can choose to save humanity or not is what’s the problem. Tony chooses to do good and submit to more democratic institutions, but there’s absolutely nothing that could make him do it.

18. Lucas27

Trusted

I’d also say Chronicle doesn’t grapple with this idea as much as it flips it over on its head. It puts superhuman powers into a more realistic context and the end results are terrifying. That movie is so underrated.

19. oakhurst Jul 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 15, 2019)
    oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I’d argue the alien attack on avengers 1 not necessarily made him, but influenced him do a lot of what he did. Ever since that film that was the backbone of all of his reasonings for what he did. He saw a threat and to him he was the only person that could counter it and if not then it would all be on him. A hero wouldn’t be as good if they are made to do something instead of choosing to do it.

20. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

So did they ever walk back that Earth 616 thing?

21. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I mean... there wasn’t a multiverse in the movie so it’s safe to assume it was just an Easter egg

RyanPm40 likes this.
  22. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

K so just Mysterio lying is all. Just making sure because they never really addressed it afterward.

23. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The writers said that it was a lie because Earth 616 is the comics.

24. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

really liked this, but mysterio’s “toast” at the bar painfully explaining all that backstory was so bad, and it just felt like they kinda fumbled with the reveal that he’s actually bad, idk, still found 90% of it really enjoyable. Really really interested to see how they expand on his identity reveal from mid credits.

Why Bother?, RyanPm40 and justin. like this.