Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts, July 2, 2019) Movie • Page 46

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I wasn't sold on the Homecoming suit originally, but I love it now thanks to the PS4 game. The suit just looks so damn beautiful in it. Took these screenshots last night:
    spid.jpg spid2.jpg

Oskarr, RyanPm40, Joe and 2 others like this.
  2. drewinseries

Drew

Once I got it in the game it's all I played with.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Refuses to Reckon With the Past Failures of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

This piece also brought up the fact that Peter never even learns that Mysterio had any connection to Iron Man

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

My main problems with the costume (outside of them being high tech, which is more of a writing problem) are the pointless, dumb looking black bars on like the shoulders & whatever, & the fact that they CGI-ed it when it'd look way better all practical.

jkauf and Jason Tate like this.
  5. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I like the design of the MCU suits, but yeah the CGI is iffy at best. Like, in motion it looks fine, but when he's just standing around (like the ferry scene in Homecoming) it looks really not good

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I don't understand what's dumb looking about the black bars, I have no problems with the suit outside of the overuse of CGI and Stark tech. I agree practical is better, though.

But damn, even the CGI scenes in ASM2 looked so much more realistic. I watched a documentary on how they really zeroed in on having the muscles behave appropriately, having folds and a little looseness in the suit that you can see rippling when he swings and dives, etc. Marvel just seems very cheap in their approach to CGI.

7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Which is odd because Marvel usually has some of the best looking CGI (except a couple films like BP)

8. RyanPm40

You think? I feel like Thanos was the only decent-looking CGI character in Infinity War, Stark's head always looks goofy when he opens his helmet, etc. Then yeah, that final fight in BP was probably the worst they've done in the entire history of the MCU lol

I think Marvel is fantastic at scenery, though, just not always its characters. They're good if they can use a healthy mix of CGI and practical effects to balance things out.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  9. RyanPm40

This is the video I was referencing. Super cool stuff.

2:15 to 3:05

10. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Garfield was a terrible miscast and those movies should be locked in a vault labeled "The Worst Modern Superhero Movies" along with X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Fant4stic Four.

11. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

ASM2, visually, is one of the most spectacular looking films I've ever seen.

Letterbomb31 and RyanPm40 like this.
  12. RyanPm40

Woah now, let's not confuse poor writing with a miscast actor.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  13. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Peter in the Amazing Spider-Man movies came off to me as too much a jerk for my tastes. Obviously he pleased the hardcore comic fans but what I remember him for mostly is being kind of a shitty dude (I actually really enjoyed the first Amazing Spider-Man movie).

Explainnnnnnnnnnn. The final Electro fight in my mind automatically disqualifies it from anything resembling visually spectacular (felt like I watching a video game) but I'm definitely interested in hearing your reasoning.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  14. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

i just rewatched ASM1 and i enjoyed it more than i remembered i did, especially the first half, and i remembered liking it initially. for what its worth, going strictly off memory, tobey was my favorite spidey bc in my head peter parker was supposed to be dorky and i thought garfield looked way too cool when the movie came out (that dorky peter is more the exception than the rule, as was pointed out above, was news to me). all that said, i'm not the most educated spidey-fan so i go into these movies largely just wanting to be entertained, and i thought all 3 eras have been enjoyable in their own way. onto ASM2 now!

15. Nathan

I love Wesley Morris' sort of retrospective on cinematic Spidey from 2012

Climbing the Walls

16. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

He's obnoxiously good looking and appears as if he's at least a senior in college if not older. He was great in the suit, but out of it was just a horror show.

17. Letterbomb31 Jul 9, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 9, 2019)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Garfield is the most comic accurate Peter Parker/Spider-Man we've had in a live action movie so far. If you didn't like him in the role that's one thing, but to say he was miscast is incorrect. Also, TASM movies are two of the best superhero movies, up there with Logan and The Dark Knight.
    Peter Parker is a really good looking guy in the comics too, he literally dates a super model.

2f8e44151323d8903b1b3698b9911ca1.jpg

I think this is the problem with people who worship the Raimi movies- they end up thinking that version of Peter Parker is how the character should be when it's actually a deviation from the source material for the most part.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I may just believe that what follows the source material the closest doesn't always make for compelling cinema then.

Lucas27, flask and TEGCRocco like this.
  19. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Once you get past the super early runs on the character, Peter is almost always drawn as being pretty handsome. And he definitely doesn't look like he's "at least a senior in college if not older". Unless most of my friends in senior year of high school just looked 4+ years older than they are, Garfield looked about the right age for a soon-to-be high school graduate.

20. Nathan

Yeah Peter being good looking doesn’t bother me. Being a dick and a creep does (alarming game: count the times ASM Peter sexually harasses a woman in those movies. It’s too many times)

21. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

When does he sexually harass a woman? Genuinely puzzled by this.

22. Nathan

When he discovers his powers in ASM1 he accidentally (the blocking of the scene doesn’t make it look accidental, it looks like a scene from Animal House) grabs a woman’s chest on the subway and his hands stick to her so he tears her shirt off, it’s played as goofy and a comedic moment. He also takes pictures of Gwen from afar without her knowledge which never played as innocent or endearing to me as they intended it to. When he first kisses Gwen in ASM1 he’s trying to tell her his identity but keeps waffling until she turns around to go do something and he shoots webs onto her ass to yank her to him so he can kiss her. In ASM2 he stalks her throughout the whole movie, and again, it’s creepy behavior played for laughs when she asks something like “how long have you been following me?” And he’s like “all the time” or something.

None of it is intended to be creepy but that’s almost worse? It always all played gross to me.

23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

And the time when Tobey’s Peter committed assault against Mary Jane. Let’s not forget that.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. Nathan

The Maguire movies have their own issues as well in their treatment of female characters and that memorable gay joke in the wrestling ring.

justin. likes this.
  25. Letterbomb31 Jul 10, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 10, 2019)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I think it's ridiculous to say TASM's Peter sexually assaults women. None of my female friends who enjoyed the movies said that they were uncomfortable with those scenes. If you think they come across as creepy then fair enough, but to make out there are scenes of sexual assault in TASM movies is absurd imo.

TSLROCKS likes this.