Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts, July 2, 2019) Movie • Page 43

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Were the Marc Webb / Andrew Garfield ASM movies just too expensive...? I looked at their box office and they don't really look like they under-performed... I would say the business they did is in the ballpark of what Homecoming did.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

If I remember right, neither of them came close to the Raimi movies, and ASM2 fell significantly short of ASM1, which is obviously not the preferred trend

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

6ABB7F42-3DDC-47A8-B31D-BDD6803368EF.jpeg

E4B0A550-3E19-4742-A547-0FD294C5864A.jpeg

The descent is less sharp if you compare worldwide numbers, but still. The trend, w/out even considering inflation, was bad, & Homecoming did, unfortunately, turn that trend around. Plus, yeah, the budgets were rough.

I'll stan ASM2 forever. I still do not believe that they had to reboot in order to revive the franchise (check out that Thor: The Dark World chilling next to it). But, it's easy to understand where some of the franchise panic came from.

4. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Saw it with my wife this afternoon and we were both fairly disappointed. It’s one of those Marvely Marvel movies. I just...I dunno. I’m glad Spider-Verse exists. I want to like this so bad and there are aspects of it that sit really well with me (Zendaya rules), but the negatives outweigh the positives for me. It’s been repeated so many times but I’ll echo the thought again. The Raimi films got some things right but other things wrong, the Webb films got some things right but other things wrong, and now we have the MCU films which get some things right and other things wrong. These variations on a theme are all constantly working so hard to differentiate from each other that they juuuuust miss the exact right equation. Sometimes I imagine what it’d be like if the first two Sony properties never existed. What if there were no Raimi or Webb films and the MCU version was the first big screen adaptation? There’d be no fear of telling the origin story AGAIN or uncle Ben AGAIN or the Osborn family and Oscorp AGAIN and if they DID tell those story beats there’d be no hamfisted attempt to work their way around iconic lines like

“With great power comes great responsibility”

which morphs in the next iteration into the gobbledygook

“Your father lived by a philosophy, a principle, really. He believed that if you could do good things for other people, you had a moral obligation to do those things! That's what's at stake here. Not choice. Responsibility.”

which then morphs into Iron Man Jr. in the next iteration where ol’ Ben isn’t even mentioned with

“When you can do the things that I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen? They happen because of you.”

and then later

“If you're nothing without this suit, then you shouldn't have it.”

Can’t do Green Goblin AGAIN because everyone already saw it like three times. Everyone already saw Norman as Green Goblin so eh he’s just dead and Harry’s the Goblin and we’ll set up the Sinister Six and - oh never mind let’s pack it in again shall we? Can’t do Mary Jane because Kirsten Dunst sure was iconic so we’ll just go with Gwen first so that we can get to that torturous death scene everyone just loves and then we’ll reboot AGAIN and here’s a character named Michelle and GOTCHA her last name’s Jones but everyone calls her MJ, golly we sure pulled a fast one on ya didn’t we LOOK HOW DIFFERENT WE ARE THIS TIME! WE’RE CHANGING NAMES! HE’S LIKE NEVER ACTUALLY IN NEW YORK! SPIDER-MAN GETS ALL OF HIS SUITS - EVERY ONE OF THEM - FROM TONY STARK AND HE ALSO HAS THE ABILITY TO READ YOUR TEXT MESSAGES AND MURDER YOUR CLASSMATES WITH DRONES! WE READ ALL YOUR INTERNET BLOG POSTS ABOUT NO ONE BEING CAPABLE OF PLAYING J JONAH JAMESON EXCEPT JK SIMMONS SO WE DID WHAT YOU ASKED AND BROUGHT HIM BACK BUT MADE SURE A WHOLE LOT OF YOU WOULD KINDA HATE IT! DIDN’T THINK WE COULD DO THAT, DID YA?!? SURPRISE! NED’S NOT GANKE!

I’m just tired.

5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Was there a directors cut of ASM2 by the way? Is it even possible to edit that cut @Tim is talking about with the missing footage from the theatrical release??

Also, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I actually thought the subplot with Peter's parents was a very interesting angle and honestly wish they did more with it

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Nyquist

Oh it’s possible to make that edit. I’d love to take a swing at it if I ever have the time. I made a long ass Watchmen fan edit a few years ago.

Davjs, Brother Beck and RyanPm40 like this.
  7. RyanPm40

Dang if there really is more footage available to the public than what was in the ASM2 theatrical release, then I really need to track that shit down

8. RyanPm40

I think this is a great way of putting it. I think the ASM films are the first films that I really noticed "huh, this editing just doesn't seem very professional. It's very obvious that XYZ was just chopped out and this cut to the next scene felt very abrupt". Honestly, Venom is the first movie I've seen in a long time that gave me similar feelings, too.

Brother Beck likes this.
  9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I honestly enjoy ASM & Civil War's paraphrases of "with great power comes great responsibility," but otherwise, this post is so incredibly spot on & relatable, lol.

The Bluray has a lot of deleted & alternate footage. I think almost a half hour? Though some is just slightly different versions of sequences in the movie. Also, a lot of unfinished effects, but if I made a fan edit, I'd probably say screw it & use a couple unfinished scenes anyways.

The deleted material shows how much dumber the film could've been, tbh, between Max being yelled at by his mom & Peter's dad randomly returning from the dead at Gwen's grave to tell Peter "with great power comes great responsibility." But, a lot of stuff, some very small, that was cut makes no sense.

Everything cut w/ Gwen especially sucks. She has way more agency than some people acknowledge & is generally well written, but only showing Peter's perspective half the time throws things off. The sad Peter moment that leads into the Philip Philips sequence originally showed Gwen in her room also thinking about him. There's a moment where Peter is going to Oscorp to see Harry, & the camera lingers to show Gwen walking in for work right behind, them just missing each other. I think they cut her hearing that she's been accepted to school? And then she originally went to the Parker home to say bye while he was in the subway; she talks to May briefly.

Nyquist and RyanPm40 like this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Except for future SpiderVerse films

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  11. Brother Beck Jul 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 6, 2019)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I was definitely looking at the combined worldwide totals. With those domestic numbers I do see it.

* Edited to add that I have a habit of just looking at the combined worldwide totals without thinking, even though I know Domestic matters and there are business deals that come into play with the worldwide ticket sales.

12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Gosh I love Spider-Man 2.

13. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I enjoyed this film when I viewed it today.

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. flask

Trusted Supporter

This was just a big ol shrug

15. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

my type of spiderman

16. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I think TASM2 is great just as it is. It's no more unfocused than many other superhero films, it just seems to get unfairly picked on for some reason.

17. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I thought this was a great adaptation of Mysterio and integrating him into the plot of Peter's troubles getting over the death of Stark was done well. Otherwise, I think it was good character growth for Peter and I'm intrigued to see where they go with the next one.

Christian Romero likes this.
  18. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

This was marginally better than Homecoming and just behind Into The Spider-Verse as it was really enjoyable even if it played some of it a little bit safe.

19. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

20. Nyquist

It also hit me last night as I lay there thinking about this that, for some reason, they cut out that line in the trailer explaining how Beck got here due to the Thanos snap. Instead they introduce him and they’re like “Yeah he’s from another world” and then they just cut right into Peter being all excited by the prospect of a multiverse without explaining how in the hell Beck got here in the first place. It’s all just brooding “the elementals destroyed my world and now I’m here to save yours” and no one’s like “yeah but how?”

Are we just supposed to remember the line from the trailer and simply shrug off its absence in the theatrical cut?

RyanPm40 likes this.
  21. RyanPm40

Jeeze, having any sort of criticism of this movie really gets you vilified outside of this thread

22. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Love that they were faithful to the Spider-Man 2 for PS2 game by giving Mysterio drones.

23. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

let Spider-Man on a dance show

24. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Tobey vs. Tom

DANCE OFF.

25. RyanPm40

Lol why is that dance video flagged as sensitive content on Twitter?