Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man Discussion (Official Web) Comic Book • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, May 25, 2018.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I understand why Norman Osborn would be better suited for the MCU, but I do hope Feige doesn't call dibs on all the cool characters. Granted, we gotta get through Morbius first and hope Leto doesn't kill Sony's non-Venom spinoffs. But, like, I still wanna see Sony have fun with as much of their Marvel toy box w/out the current MCU Spidey as possible.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I would have greatly preferred one of the female-led movies before Leto as Morbius. If he kills the other movies, I'll be mad.

Kingjohn_654 and Tim like this.
  3. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Do you guys prefer small eyes on Spidey or big eyes?

How about web armpits, yay or nay?

4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Big eyes and the web armpits are cool

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  5. Tim

I go back and forth on eye size. I grew up with Mark Bagley & Todd McFarlane, so I have a soft spot for big eyes (seeing that design choice in ASM2 ruled). But, with how much I adore John Romita Sr's style, plus a lot of modern artists who do smaller eyes (like Paolo Rivera & Sara Pichelli)... I might slightly prefer small eyes now. So, both?

Web armpits are always great.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  6. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Speaking of McFarlane, I just saw a video of him drawing Spider Gwen on his FB. Pretty cool!

7. Jason Tate Jan 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 22, 2019)
    86625B3B-B755-4729-B9D4-D90F9408B413.jpeg

Me in 1996. You can see my preference.

8. Tim

Because there aren't enough Spider-Man comics vying for my attention...

Writer Eve Ewing to Relaunch 'Marvel Team-Up' this April | News | Marvel

A new Marvel Team-Up series which, at least for its first arc, will team Peter Parker with Kamala Khan.

Surprised they're launching this in April. We've already got Amazing Spider-Man, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Spider-Man/Deadpool, Spider-Man (IDW), Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, and Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider on shelves now. Chip Zdarsky's Spider-Man: Life Story miniseries and that miniseries in the PS4 continuity both launch in March, and they already announced the Symbiote Spider-Man miniseries for April. That's 10 different series, a dozen if you throw in Venom & Champions, that'll release at least one issue in April. Not that it ever seems to work, but wouldn't it have made sense to save one of these #1's for the week of Far From Home's release? Unless ANOTHER comic comes out then, lol.

All that being said... I've said I'm ending 2019 with nothing but Spider-books and Ms Marvel on my monthly pull. It's like Marvel heard that and decided to pressure me into another series anyways. Dang it. Hm.

Christian Romero likes this.
  9. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Is Spider-man/Deadpool still worth reading? I really enjoyed the opening arc where he’s paid to kill Peter Parker, but after that I lost all interest and dropped it.

10. Tim

I own a couple trades but haven't read it at all.

If you liked the first arc, there's another arc's worth from that same team. It's the third trade, don't know what issues 'cause they had all sorts of filler issues from various teams.

Starting with whatever the fifth trade collects through now, Robbie Thompson has been writing it. So, there's consistency now. Some time this year, they'll hit #50, which is pretty wild, lol. Some was drawn by Chris Bachalo before he took a break the other year when his wife passed away. I saw a funny more recent page that poked fun at King's Mister Miracle.

None of that really answered your question, lol, but it'll hopefully guide you deciding if you wanna check it out.

11. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I finally asked the local shop about a pull list and they aren't taking any until they finish the move to the new store. I am cool with that also I am hyped for that team up comics.

ms marvel has become a new fave.

Tim and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  13. Tim

Neat. I'm not a Doctor Who fan & don't really know Matt Smith, but I know some people really like him. Still hoping Leto doesn't weigh Morbius down.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Just got my Miles/Gwen/Ham pins and noticed I've got a nice little Spider-Man collection going. IMG_1873.JPG

15. Tim

Look at all these issues, many of them in Amazing Spider-Man, that take time to revisit the character's origin as part of a present day story. It's almost as if Uncle Ben's death has been a defining motivation for decades of the character's existence. An aspect of the character so important, any adaptation that leaves it out completely has failed the character. :chin::spiderman:

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. I think I’m going to *finally* start reading some Peter Parker Spider-Man... I’m thinking of going through Peter Parker The Spectactular Spider-Man and/or the new run of The Amazing Spider-Man that started in June. Do y’all think these are good places to start? I don’t know if there’s a whole lot of backstory I need to follow or if I can probably jump right in. I really love the blocky art style that I’ve seen from The Amazing Spider-Man.

17. Tim

The current Amazing Spider-Man run isn't for me, but a lot of people really like it. And, yeah, it's really new reader friendly from what I recall. Any run for any established character will always reference stuff from before, but you'd be fine just jumping into that.

Chip Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man was a great breath of fresh air for me, had some strong art, and had some stellar highs. Last time I revisited it, the wordiness was rough at times; Chip's gotten a ton better since then. But, yeah, that's a good run.

Christian Romero likes this.
  18. Thanks for the thoughts! I’m reading the first issue of Spectacular Spider-Man right now and it’s really good so far.

20. Tim

...what. If this is real, someone release a collection of this material please, like, now.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  21. Tim

22. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I didn’t add it to my pull list because I’m a dork and wasn’t sure if I wanted it, but I’m really interested in the Spider-Man: Life Story mini series.

It seems like something I would really enjoy so hopefully I can get it next week.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  23. Tim

It's on my pull 'cause it seems way too perfect to wait for. But, it also seems like a miniseries that'll make for a fantastic book on a shelf.

As an avid Spider-Man fan, I've often been frustrated by the lack of great standalone, timeless books to recommend people. There are a lot of great runs, from Lee/Romita to Roger Stern to Bendis' initial Miles run, but outside of Spider-Man: Blue, there's just not an All-Star Superman, Dark Knight Returns, New Frontier, etc. Maybe you could make a case for Kraven's Last Hunt, but that's kind of a different beast. Life Story could be the new book I recommend to anyone who's never read a comic & kinda likes Spider-Man.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  25. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Kingjohn_654 likes this.