Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man Discussion (Official Web) Comic Book • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, May 25, 2018.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Severe lack of Andrew "Best Live-Action Spider-Man" Garfield, but otherwise, this rules.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’m reading the two Spider-Man Noir miniseries from years ago. They’re really good so far. It’s dark and gritty and feels like a DC story.

3. Ben and Kane pointing at each other rules so much.

Tim likes this.
  4. Tim

I think the print version is still out of print? I'd love a new trade collecting both miniseries, maybe also including his issue of Edge of Spider-Verse.

5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

It is out of print. I’m reading the digital version, which are only $3 each on ComiXology now

6. Tim

I could never trade that Spidey material on my shelf, particularly those omnibus volumes, for a digital library. But, seeing something on sale for cheap digitally that's currently out of print is always a bummer, lol.

They are putting out a nice Spider-Ham collection next year, so hopefully they don't take too long to get Spider-Man Noir back on shelves.

Kingjohn_654 and xapplexpiex like this.
  7. Tim

Super short video, like a minute long, but I like Saladin's understanding of who Miles is & who Peter is.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  8. Tim

Because 2 posts in a row from me isn't enough...

Dennis Hopeless is writing a 6-issue miniseries starring the PS4 Spider-Man, w/ art by Michele Bandini.

I haven't played the game, but its world seems awesome from what I've seen. And, Hopeless is good (loved his Spider-Woman run), & Michele Bandini seems good. I'll definitely get the trade. Next year continues to get so good for Spidey comics.

Christian Romero likes this.
  9. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

Jonathan and oakhurst like this.
  10. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Finally. That's a good looking suit.

Jonathan likes this.
  11. Tim

I've seen the Twitter obsession with getting this suit. And, why? It's not like the suit was that great a design. Just a decent enough live action adaptation that was pretty good for its time. That picture already is cooler than literally any shot of the suit in the actual films, lol.

12. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I enjoy the nostalgia of it so seeing it in the game is nice. It's a basic suit, but nice.

Jonathan likes this.
  13. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Is that Tobey’s suit or Andrew’s? Looks like Tobey…

14. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Tobey's.

Jonathan likes this.
  15. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Kingjohn_654 and Tim like this.
  16. Tim

My nerdy nephews are wearing Spider-Man hoodies and were about to open Pokemon cards. The one told the other he had bad luck, so my sister, their nerdy aunt who apparently knows Spidey less than I thought, told them they both have Spider-Man luck. I laughed & had to tell 'em Parker Luck is a notoriously bad thing.

I also drew a Spider-Man for 'em:
    46A18021-5107-4FF0-BDCC-2B6F18FC1F1B.jpeg

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. Finally reading through Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man and it’s damn good. :miles:

18. Tim

This week has been a week of revisiting some comic book movies, which last included Spider-Man 2.1.

It's such a bummer to admit, since Tom Holland, Zendaya, etc. are delightful, but Spider-Man 2/2.1 is better than Homecoming. Watching both in the past week, I'm sure of it.

Tobey becomes less grating every time I watch SM2. He's the worst Spider-Man by a considerable margin, & he has moments that are rough (intense emotions are HARD for his face), but when he's playing the part with more restraint, the film Raimi built around him carries him through. He's not my Spider-Man, but in a world with Jake Johnson, Andrew Garfield, & Tom Holland, he can be tolerated as A Spider-Man.

It helps that, instead of the bad Goblins of 1&3, or Topher's Venom, we've got this charming, campy Doc Ock. Alfred Molina is the biggest reason I'm willing to revisit this film. If that romantic angle had been played against an estranged Andrew & Emma instead of Tobey & Kirsten, my gosh would that have made a good film. I'm just picturing the scene where Otto & his wife sit down w/ Pete, and then Garfield's interaction w/ Curt Connors; a real missed connections situation here.

Obligatory reminder, also, that Jameson & the Bugle are great. Such perfect comedy.

I will say, I paid closer attention, wondering if I'm wrong, and I still hate the clash between "Spider-Man ruins my life" & "my powers aren't working." Where's the tension in him leaving his suit in the trash, when he can't stick to walls anymore? I get the stress analogy, but it dulls the teeth of his choice.

I'd like the film so much more if that were cut out. Which, it honestly could be pretty easily. That wonderful sequence of him running into the burning house would need reduced & lose a lot of impact... But, literally everything else would improve. It'd be worth it.

Anyways, to end my tl;dr post, here's something everyone loves: a ranking! My favorite Spider-Verse films at the moment:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2[.1] / Venom (?)
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Spider-Man/Spider-Man 3 (don't care)

(Didn't get Venom for Christmas, so gotta buy & rewatch to see where that lands.)

19. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Since @Tim linked to Whatever A Spider Can in the main post of this thread, I just wanted to give a quick update on that. Today's my final day as editor for the site. It's been fun covering all things Spider-Verse, but making sure the site hit quota every month so I could get roughly $1 per post really wore me down these last few months. Not having that workload now, though, means I will probably be more active in this thread and posting more to Chorus since @Jason Tate has been kind enough to let me do so.

2018 was a pretty dang good year for Spider-Man so I'm looking forward to everything that's in store in 2019.

20. Tim

This short fan film was shared by @xkhiemster in the Spider-Verse thread last week. I finally got around to watching it and thought it should be shared here.

Fan film acting and whatnot is always rough, lol, but like, even with the complete lack of budget, it still feels more like Spider-Man than Homecoming does to me.

21. Omni

Regular

Here's my Spider-Man movie ranking. I don't think I have any real hot takes here.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Spider-Man 2
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    Spider-Man
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Spider-Man 3

Haven't seen Venom yet

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  22. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Ordered this about 2 weeks before Christmas and it just showed up. Amped to finally dive in!

23. Tim

2019 is gonna be a pretty great year for Spider-Man comics, y'all. Lots to read. Here's a quick summary of titles to choose from:

Very recently launched:
    • Miles Morales: Spider-Man
    • Superior Spider-Man (Doc Ock as antihero, now in a cloned Peter body w/ new name)
    • Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider
    • Champions (team book w/ Miles as central character, w/ Ms Marvel, etc.)
    • Marvel Action Spider-Man (all ages, standalone continuity, published by IDW)
    Titles that have a little more under their belt:
    • Amazing Spider-Man (just started in, like, June, though it's twice-monthly)
    • Venom (started in May, best Venom ongoing ever maybe?)
    • Spider-Man/Deadpool (will hit #50 this year w/out renumbering, which is wild to me)
    Upcoming titles:
    • Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (starts next week, looks great!)
    • Spider-Man: Life Story (cool miniseries where a 60s Peter ages in real time, starting March)
    • Marvel's Spider-Man: City at War (miniseries in March set in PS4 game's world)
    Oh, and shout out to the recently ended Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man & Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows ongoing titles, as well as the recently wrapped up Spidergeddon event miniseries w/ various tie-ins.

I'm limiting my pull majorly in the new year, but I will be reading Miles Morales, Friendly Neighborhood, and the IDW series monthly, and also grabbing Life Story as it comes out (even though I normally wait for miniseries to get collected before buying 'em).

smowashere, Deanna, GBlades and 4 others like this.
  24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter