Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man Discussion (Official Web) Comic Book • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, May 25, 2018.

1. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

One singular movie set up the first animated superhero universe on the big screen. The movie is genius.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

What are everyone's favorite Spider-Man writers & artists?

Been thinking about the character more than usual lately, particularly w/ Into the Spider-Verse. And, it's surprisingly hard for me to settle on clear favorites so much as a large collection of strong creators.

My favorite Spidey writer is probably Gerry Conway. From his original 70s run (Death of Gwen Stacy, creating Punisher, Original Clone Saga, Superman vs ASM), to creating Tombstone at the end of the 80s, to his ASM: Renew Your Vows work just 2 yrs ago... That's quality work in basically every era.

A top 5 would look like:

1.) Gerry Conway
    2.) Brian Michael Bendis
    3.) Roger Stern
    4.) J.M. DeMatteis
    5.) Stan Lee

Artists is easier & harder at the same time. So many great creators, including some who didn't do much but nailed the bit they did. For the most part, my ranking is influenced by how excited I am when I see their take on, imo, the greatest costume in all comics.

1.) John Romita
    2.) Paolo Rivera
    3.) Tim Sale
    4.) Sara Pichelli
    5.) Charles Vess
    6.) Marcos Martin
    7.) Todd McFarlane
    8.) John Romita Jr
    9.) Mark Bagley
    10.) Chris Bachalo

Don't expect everyone to have this many thoughts, lol, but still curious what creators others are particularly into on Spidey.

Jason Tate, Kingjohn_654 and Deanna like this.
  3. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I'm pretty ignorant to the older Spider-Man comics and mostly grew my love from childhood cartoons and movies.

That being said, I'm a fan of Brian Michael Bendis for his work on Ultimate Spider-Man. That was the one run of comics I ever consistently read, and I absolutely loved Peter's story from start to finish.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  4. I'll really have to think about this one ... hmm ... only Spider-Man, or what about other books in the Spidey world?

5. Tim

I think all my choices were based at least partially on "Spider-Man" work, but I'd be interesting in your thoughts regardless of how broad you define it. Certainly a ton of great talent on Spider-Man spinoff comics.

6. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I know I've been saying this a ton lately, but Defalco's Spider-Girl is really great.

Tim likes this.
  7. Tim

"Weeb of Spider-Man," lol. I gotta watch some of this show someday.

Fun bit of related trivia: This show helped lay the groundwork for what became the Power Rangers. And then, in the 90s, Spider-Man co-creator Steve Ditko drew some Power Rangers comics stories. Full circle, y'all.

8. Tim

Kingjohn_654 and Deanna like this.
  9. Kingjohn_654 and Tim like this.
  11. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Pfffttttt not even a reply text? Hurting my feelings, Jason! ❤️

12. Stealing your texts for conn no teennntttttttt.

Ok texting you now.

Christian Romero and Jonathan like this.
  13. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

You're a charmer. ❤️

IMG_D49D845D7622-1.jpeg

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. lol oh my god that photo of me tho

Christian Romero and Jonathan like this.
  15. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

In my defense, I've had it as that for years.

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

how do I get Spider-Man emojis tho

17. Jonathan likes this.
  18. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I was able to snag the Miles slip mat and miles/spiderpig/spidergwen pins. Unfortunately the classic spidey slip mat was already sold out — I keep missing out on that one.

19. I really like that Miles poster.

I'd get it if I had any place to hang it. One day I'll move and then my office will be covered!

Jonathan likes this.
  20. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Dan Slot is my favorite. His run of Brand New Day all the way to Worldwide is quite a feat.

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. Tim

So many people would be so unhappy at Slott being your favorite, lol.

I personally find him hit-or-miss & don't care for much of his work, especially in the first half of his run. I like him better as an idea man than a writer sometimes, but pair him with the right artist on the right idea, & he's great. Renew Your Vows & Clone Conspiracy are my favorite things he's done.

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Fair enough. I always prefer Modern Era comics to Silver, Gold, etc. Maybe I just need to read more classic spidey though

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. Tim

Well, if you prefer modern era, then you prefer modern era. Just as a comic book fan in general, & especially one who reads a lot of indie stuff, it's always good to give iconic classic runs a fair shot. Maybe you'll reach a point where you're able to better appreciate 'em. But, nothing wrong w/ liking what you like.

24. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I do read classics though. I have trades of Kraven’s Last Hunt, Death of the Stacey’s, Birth of Venom, Maximum Carnage, Nothing Can Stop the Juggarnaut, Death of Jean Dewolf, and Vengeance of Venom. I enjoyed them, but as far as favorite writers go, I choose Slot because his work is the only consistent run I’ve read, compared to stories with big gaps in between middle. I need an omnibus or something to get a feel on a specific creative team.

25. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Saw Into the Spiderverse tonight. LOVED it. May see it again. Was so good.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.