Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man Discussion (Official Web) Comic Book • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, May 25, 2018.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Some fun industry speculation:

'Venom' gives Sony an edge over Disney in its fight to keep 'Spider-Man,' according to industry experts

Remember, Tom Holland is signed on for 3 Spider-Man films (a high school trilogy) & 3 Marvel films (Civil War, Infinity War, probably Avengers 4). And, Amy Pascal once hinted at uncertainty over Spidey's future.

Now, even if Venom hits big in China & Into the Spider-Verse does great, Sony still could have incentive to re-up. They finance and earn 100% of Spider-Man & 0% of Avengers either way, so it's possible they'll wanna continue having their cake and eating it too 'til the Marvel brand slows down.

Still, they'll be in a better place than they were in 2014 when it comes time to renegotiate.

Jonathan likes this.
  2. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I just realized the Sony-verse is the extended cinematic universe equivalent of Gotham. They have all the toys to use surrounding one of the most popular super heroes and will probably find a way to use every single one of them without actually including Spidey.

EDIT: Assuming the Morbius and the Black Cat/Silver Sable movies are still in production.

3. Tim

Eh, kinda. What I saw of Gotham was bad because it leaned way too heavily into being Batman Babies. If they'd actually let it be something like the Gotham Central comic, where it stands on its own instead of being a trash Batman prequel, it'd be good. This Sony universe, on the other hand, is letting these characters stand alone instead of being a steady Spidey tease.

As for what movies are in development... Morbius starring (unfortunately) Jared Leto has a script and director and is tentatively beginning production around February. Team-up film Silver & Black has been shelved for now, though both characters are still on Sony's radar, w/ Black Cat seemingly higher on their list. And, other projects seemingly still in development include Silk, Kraven, and Nightwatch.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Has anyone read any of the Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man comics? I’ve been thinking of getting into them after reading some little bits that I like from Instagram

5. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

My 4 year old told me Shocker looks like a pineapple. I can't unsee it.

Tim likes this.
  6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

The recent Zdarsky run was fun and worth checking out. Right now it’s just tie-ins to Spider-Geddon with a new creative team but those are still worth reading too.

Christian Romero likes this.
  7. Tim

That Chip Zdarsky run (which is the whole recent series, including an annual, outside the last 3 issues) was overall the best ongoing Spidey series this decade starring the main universe's Peter Parker. It got a bit more caught up in plot a couple times than I expected or would've liked, but at its best, it was fantastic.

I didn't read those last 3 issues, so can't comment on 'em. You should consider them part of the Spidergeddon event more than part of the Spectacular series, but I'm sure you could still read 'em. *shrug*

If you're into monthly comics, a new ongoing series called Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, written by Tom Taylor, launched in January. Seems like that'll be essentially the replacement for Spectacular.

8. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Someone on my facebook suggested Mark Hamill as Doc Oc and I don’t hate it?

RyanPm40 and Davjs like this.
  9. Sweet! I’ll probably check it out. I was planning on checking out Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man for sure. I’ve read some Spider-Man comics, but not too many of them so I’m trying to find a good place to dive in and binge some comics. I’m tired of just being a fan through movies and cartoons :crylaugh: thanks!

Deanna likes this.
  10. I’m definitely going to start reading Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen soon.

Deanna and Jason Tate like this.
  11. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

so excited

12. Tim

13. Tim

With the massive financial success of Venom and the wild critical buzz around Into the Spider-Verse...

I'm finally seeing the dialogue around Sony's Marvel output lean really positive.

The validation feels good, y'all.

14. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

This is out today? Why isn't it on Marvel's website?

15. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

I saw Spider-Verse. It's friggin' awesome.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. He’ll over act the shit out of it. :-/

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Sounds like Spider-Gwen is going to be a priority for Sony going forward.

18. Good!

19. Tim

What, the new comic series I posted about? It's a licensed comic put out by IDW, not by Marvel itself.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Oh I have no idea what IDW is haha thought Marvel had exclusive rights to comics. I just noticed if I Google it, I don't see any websites showing where to get it, just past articles saying it comes out on the 28th. At least when I googled yesterday.

EDIT

Looks like they show up on Google now

21. I am a big fan of this Marvel Action Spider-Man

Attached Files:

RyanPm40 and Tim like this.
  22. Also picked up the first issue of Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man and I like it a looot.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  23. Tim

Read the IDW Marvel Action: Spider-Man #1. Good stuff, as long as you can appreciate all-ages comics. Feels like a really effective marriage of multiple iterations of the character. Feels very Spider-Man. I'm gonna enjoy having this in my pull every month.

24. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

IDW publishes TMNT and a lot of Disney comics iirc.

RyanPm40 likes this.