Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man Discussion (Official Web) Comic Book • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, May 25, 2018.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

We most certainly do NOT.

He does need a foil, a prey for the hunter. Unlike every other Sony project, Kraven does need another character to work best, which makes me curious how this will work. Heck, even other villains of Spidey's who don't have films in development could work better alone than Kraven (like Lizard or Boomerang).

But, it can be anyone. Mike Costa & Mark Bagley recently put him against Venom, and Mark Waid & Chris Samnee recently put him against Captain America. I could see him fitting into Spider-Man, Venom, Silver & Black, or Morbius equally well.

And, until I see how Watts and company handle Mysterio, I certainly don't prioritize the MCU over other Sony projects for Kraven.

2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

But without Kraven in the MCU we will never get a story related to Last Hunt. That’s the only story I see translating well onto the big screen that involves Kraven.

3. Tim

You think the current MCU is the best place for Kraven's Last Hunt? Or, maybe I should say specifically Jon Watts and the rest of the Homecoming team.

A lot of recent Marvel Studios projects have shot to the top of my all-time favorite comic book movies (Ragnarok, both Guardians, Black Panther). But, I need a better MCU Spidey film before putting the Kraven's Last Hunt egg in that basket. A different creative team could've made it an effective film after (I'm assuming) Tony's death in Avengers 4, but that ain't happening now.

Say what you will of Sony's scattered approach. Venom looks like a mess (albeit a mess I expect to enjoy). But, Into the Spider-Verse looks brilliant. And some of their projects in development sound really cool.

I'd rather see Sony take a risk along the lines of Logan or that upcoming Joker film w/ Kraven than see him forced into the current Tom Holland status quo. Lower floor, sure, but also higher ceiling.

4. I just have little faith in Sony doing these characters justice.

5. Tim

Sony has yet to release a great Marvel film, but just about everything they've done has gotten some stuff incredibly right, in spite of missteps in each film. Homecoming was no exception to this. I have no reason yet to believe Jon Watts can be trusted more than whoever Sony would hire w/out Marvel Studios, especially when we have Into the Spider-Verse coming up.

Honestly, where Sony is now kinda reminds me of where Fox is, minus the sale: They've got no overall sense of direction, and some of their films are hot messes, but they're also giving us some projects that Disney isn't doing. Especially when Fox dies, if Disney doesn't expand their Marvel output to include projects as varied as Logan, Deadpool, and Spider-Verse, I'm gonna root extra hard for these Sony films.

Jason Tate and awakeohsleeper like this.
  6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Christian Romero likes this.
  7. Tim

If you did this without me or Jason and ended up with an episode that doesn't talk about the movie's failings, I'm gonna be mad.

8. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

The guest and I both liked the movie more than you did (I'm guessing), so you'll probably be mad?

9. Tim

DANG IT DEANNA. lol.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. [​IMG]

11. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

We pointed out some weird things, but we talked about the characters for almost an hour and then just went through favorite scenes before diving into Far From Home speculation and whatnot. You're welcome to come on the podcast for any of the other Spidey movies if you want! I just really wanted to get this one done with all the Far From Home news going on lately.

12. Tim

My friend group has a term we like to use: "Tarkin Horse." This is a more extreme version of beating a dead horse, for when one of us is so stuck on some incredibly specific stance that we keep digitally reviving the dead horse so we can beat it again and again. (The term is in part because a friend of ours talks about CGI Tarkin in Rogue One more than a Jehovah's Witness talks about their religion.)

Anyways, Spider-Man: Homecoming's missteps are my Tarkin Horse.

13. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

14. Tim

Bummer. Between this and the seeming end of Renew Your Vows this fall, I'm not gonna have a Spider-Man series to pull anymore at Marvel. All the more reason to jump on IDW's young readers Spider-Man series in November.

Hopefully the inevitable Miles relaunch (which I'm assuming at this point won't happen 'til December to coincide with Into the Spider-Verse) is good. Wonder if the end of the Spidergeddon event or release of Far From Home will bring about any new titles that interest me enough to read monthly.

15. Tim

"According to Variety, Sony has decided to split Silver & Black‘s co-stars, Black Cat and Silver Sable, into their own solo movies, with plans for a Black Cat feature film up first.

“We believe Black Cat is enough of her own character with a great backstory and a canon of material to draw from to justify her own film,” Columbia Pictures President Sanford Panitch said."

Good. That headline scared me, but thankfully, it seems like they realized these characters are fine on their own. Introducing both in one film does seem like a bit much.

Though...

"Those films hinge on the success of Venom, starring Tom Hardy, which arrives in October."

Yikes. I'm still excited on a personal level for Venom, but I'm a bit pessimistic about its financial success. Hopefully it does just well enough for a second live action standalone film to happen, one that feels less rushed. I still want ALL OF THESE MOVIES, tbh.

16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'm curious to see which characters they'd do in the vein of Logan or Deadpool if Venom isn't going to be rated R. So many things to pull from that article for news hah.

17. Tim

Morbius and Kraven would probably make the most sense. You've already seen my thoughts on how to do Kraven (which I should probably share here). It's hard to care about Morbius with Jared Leto attached, but there's definitely a good sci-fi vampire story to tell there, which doesn't need to be big budget.

I wanna see them take Black Cat and give her a grounded crime story using all the characters available to them for that. Like, put Kingpin, Silvermane, Tombstone, Hammerhead, Mister Negative, the Enforcers, and a bunch of d-list Spidey villains all into that project. Go for that whole Deadly Foes/Superior Foes approach. Could be something really special and fun.

18. Tim

19. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

They have so much potential with a lot of these movies, but I agree on not being stoked on the Leto casting. I'm probably the least excited about that one. Still not fully in on this universe yet, but if Venom is at least okay, I'll have a little more hope for it.

Do you think they bother with a Sinister Six or just focus on other villains for now?

20. Tim

I still maintain that a Sinister Six movie tonally inspired by Superior Foes would be great, but no, it seems like that project is dead. I'm guessing that the third Tom Holland Spider-Man film will feature a version of the Six, which is probably why that idea went away for now. Though, a Black Cat film could still scratch that same itch for me.

21. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, Homecoming introduced a chunk of villains that I'm sure they plan to use down the line. It'll be interesting to see how that all plays out.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm so curious to see how Venom does. I'm wondering if everything is on hold until that is released. Going into smaller project before its release seems way too risky.

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Deanna and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  24. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

It seems like everything else is in the super early stages now that Silver & Black was scrapped. Morbius has Jared Leto on board, but I don't imagine they even have a script finished yet.

25. Tim

Honestly, that's probably what they're thinking, but I disagree. How Venom performs shouldn't derail their other projects. I mean, Into the Spider-Verse is already a very different kind of film, and it looks like it could be a massive hit.

If anything, an underperforming Venom should encourage them to pursue smaller projects. Why compete with the MCU when you can just focus on animation on one end and Logan/Deadpool/Joker type projects on the other end? Especially if Marvel Studios eats up the Ryan Reynolds universe, Sony will be in a perfect place to offer good Marvel counter programming to the Avengers.

Kingjohn_654 and Jason Tate like this.