Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man Discussion (Official Web) Comic Book • Page 18

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, May 25, 2018.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Wow I've read Ultimate Spider-Man twice in its entirety and I don't remember noticing him being hinted as Jewish, but thats really cool!

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

In all fairness, I don’t think Bendis ever made it more than subtext in the actual comics themselves (though he would emphatically declare “Peter Parker is Jewish” in interviews). And, he has a certain specific voice that he gives to everyone he writes, lol, which is one reason I’m glad him going to DC opened up Miles Morales to new voices.

But, yeah, there’s a lot more going on in even some of those older comics than the generic “white dude” thing they’re often seen as. Superman was created by a couple Jewish boys in Depression-era Cleveland as a champion of the oppressed, & the foundation of the Marvel universe comes from Jack Kirby’s mind through Stan Lee’s filter. And that’s not even factoring in the impact the 50s Seduction of the Innocent/Comics Code Authority saga had on marginalized voices.

I love the modern pushes for diversity, inclusion, etc., in comics, but I love it even more when it’s done in a way that’s acknowledging & reclaiming the medium’s history (which makes reactionary complaints of “politics in comics” look even dumber than they already do). It’ll always be messy now that superhero comics also have decades of being super corporate, especially now that they weigh heavy over Hollywood, but that DNA is always sitting there underneath.

3. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I finally read that whole post after turning from that page a couple times. It does bring up good and interesting perspectives of Peter and the history of his early incarnation that I wouldn’t have noticed. I’ve never read the ultimate comics, either.

Tim likes this.
  4. RyanPm40

20201204_200817.jpg
    Putting up the tree as we speak and had to hang my favorite ornament first :-p. Happy holidays folks!

5. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

RyanPm40 and beachdude like this.
  6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

RyanPm40 likes this.
  7. brothemighty Jan 2, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 2, 2021)
    brothemighty

Trusted

Who's the main villain of Spider-Man Homecoming 3? Morlun?

The only "big" villain they haven't used yet is Kraven

8. RyanPm40

I think Kraven has been rumored for awhile now, but I guess only time will tell!

9. PauLo

43% Burnt

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

will there be a lil wayne cameo

11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

tom is on jimmy fallon tonight, maybe we’ll get the real title there

smowashere likes this.
  12. RyanPm40

You don't think it's actually Phone Home? I have no idea how to tell if that's a joke lmao

13. PauLo

43% Burnt

Because this...

smowashere and RyanPm40 like this.
  14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

“no way home” apparently

15. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Yep. Cute video announcing it.

16. Tim

Going from “Far From Home” to “No Way Home” is so awkward, lol. In a vacuum, it sounds kinda cool, but contextually, it drives home how dumb it is to keep this whole “home” gimmick going.

Honestly should’ve been “Home for the Holidays” if anything, lol.

17. Phone Home was the better choice. I really wanted E.T. in the MCU.

Oskarr likes this.
  18. brothemighty

Trusted

I too dislike it. Should been "Spider-Man: Fuck (The Multiverse) All My Homies Hate (The Multiverse)"

Tim likes this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

RyanPm40 and Tim like this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

OwainGlyndwr and RyanPm40 like this.
  22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Tim and RyanPm40 like this.
  23. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Oskarr likes this.
  24. Tim

Coming January 2023. Bring it on.

ATJ is pretty vanilla casting, not exciting like Tom Hardy as Venom, but I'm glad it's not another Leto-Morbius mistake. Going with someone who's already been someone in the MCU is a weird choice for a studio that loves dancing around MCU canon, but as someone burnt out on canon, I don't mind. I hope preemptively slating it for January, before it's even made, means they're committing to it being lower budget, which would be a fun thing to have for an official Spidey film.

25. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I was hoping it would be a casting that would shock me but Sony using an actor already from the MCU just feels very bland to me.