Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man Discussion (Official Web) Comic Book • Page 17

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, May 25, 2018.

1. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I believe Sony would be tone deaf enough to explore a Madame Web movie.

They were exploring a Secret Agent Aunt May movie lol.

2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I would rather see a Spider-Woman film

Oskarr likes this.
  3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

People get so gosh darn caught up on that one throwaway suggestion, lol, as if all these studios don't have as many weird ideas that were tossed out didn't go anywhere that we just don't know about, & as if the same era & culture that gave us that suggestion (that was never gonna actually go anywhere) didn't, y'know, give us the greatest comic book movie of all time... Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

I feel like whatever this is probably ties into that slot they had announced for next year before the pandemic shifted everything. And, is real enough to have a director. So, don't foresee it being Madame Web, unless there's bad reporting & it's actually about like Mattie Franklin or Julia Carpenter (if they have that character).

4. Tim

What I want more than anything is Jessica Drew Spider-Woman.

But, any deep cut character could be interesting. Like, I never got into Jackpot, but sure, go for it, especially w/ someone who knows the character. The whole Spider-Man world is compelling & can lead to neat stuff, even when you dig real deep.

OwainGlyndwr, RyanPm40 and oakhurst like this.
  5. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Lmao tbf I just like bringing that one up because it’s hilarious that it even crossed someone’s mind.

More than anything I want Jessica Drew Spider-Woman, with the ANAD costume redesign. But I don’t like the idea of it being stuck in Spider-mans universe when she doesn’t even really have anything to do with Spider-man most of the time.

Tim likes this.
  6. Tim

I mean, in all fairness, Jess is one of my favorite characters, but she's been all over the place enough over the years that, like... does she really even have a "most of the time"? lol. I don't think it's a stretch to recreate the feel of the Dennis Hopeless run in a Sony Marvel NYC populated w/ Spidey villains & supporting characters.

7. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

But does that include Porcupine?!

8. Tim

Unfortunately, based on the character's publishing history, probably not?

But, personally, even though that stretch w/ pregnant & new mom Jess, w/ Roger & Ben & Carol, is my favorite for my character... That's not really what I'm expecting or explicitly hoping for out of a Spider-Woman film out of the gate. (And, if Feige is treating Netflix stuff as canon, Ben's dead anyways, right?)

She's been so many things over the years, between the various writers of the original series who each took her in a different direction, to that old cartoon, to Bendis, to Ultimate Marvel, to Hopeless, to whatever the new series ends up doing. Instead of putting her directly into the MCU, where she'll be able to do SHIELD stuff & Carol stuff & maybe Porcupine stuff (if there's room in Marvel's schedule) but also might get caught up in big events (like, God forbid, Secret Invasion)...

I'd rather see her at the last remaining home of films that can stand mostly alone (though she'd obviously end up meeting Spider-Man & Venom), at a place where limited character availability would force her to get a chance to shine. And, use elements of multiple versions, plus the normal amount of new stuff that all these films anywhere always have, to create a new entry to the beautiful tangled web (LOL) that is Jessica Drew.

Allpwrtoslaves likes this.
  9. Tim

10. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. Tim

And when Homecoming came out, and we saw that "Oh my God, look, Peter Parker as a best friend. He is literally like Ganke from the comics." I thought, well, we just couldn't do it. You know, it turned into a big thing, and it was kind of like Sony was going, "Oh, sorry, we ate your lunch." We had to tweak that whole relationship, and, at the end of this movie, you kind of see the origin of their friendship.

Yep. Feels kinda vindicating to have this Spider-Verse director say what people like @Jason Tate & me have been saying for a while. And, so frustrating to see how immediately stealing Ganke for Peter had an impact on Miles' stories. What are they gonna do if/when Miles is introduced into this Tom Holland continuity down the road? Also sad when you consider Spider-Verse was being developed before the Marvel Studios contract was even signed.

Granted, like Peter Ramsey said, there wasn't really a ton of room for Ganke in the version of the film we ultimately got (which I don't think settled into its final basic structure until late in the process). So, that film was fine. But, still... *sigh*

12. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I think that's a little silly to let that prevent them from using Ganke, unless that was Sony's decision tbh. It's very easy to distinguish between an animated and live action universe

Christian Romero likes this.
  13. Furry Werthers

Trusted

and besides, his name is Ned! Tooooootally different.

14. Still glad Ned is in Homecoming and Far From Home. Still love both movies :spiderman: and Spider-verse is absolutely perfect so I guess it worked out :miles:

15. Tim

They could've given Peter a Ned (or whoever) without blatantly ripping off an essential character in the Miles comics, & I feel like I shouldn't have to explain why stealing a Miles concept for a Peter series is very bad. Like, seriously, it's egregious.

Peter has over 50 decades of stories with various supporting characters. Including a Ned who is nothing like the movie Ned. Miles has... a little under a decade? Had, what, maybe five years at the time that film was being developed? And, a key feature of every solo Miles comic series is his relationship with Ganke, his heavyset Asian best friend & classmate who knows that he's Spider-Man & helps him with superhero stuff & loves LEGOs. His personality & everything, except the name, was taken from Miles & given to Peter, who had so much other material of his own that could've been mined instead. Now, if they bring in a live action Miles, either they'll have this gaping hole in the story, or they'll throw in a Ganke that general non-comics-reading audiences will think was a ripoff of Ned.

Jacob Batalon seems like a cool guy, & I don't consciously think about this a lot anymore unless it comes up... but, it was just flat out an awful, preventable decision.

Nyquist, awakeohsleeper and RyanPm40 like this.
  16. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Make me wonder how long Ned will stick around and say, Peter goes to college and meets Harry, will the spider-verse then start to use Ganke.

17. Tim

I think at this point they could pretty easily increase animated Ganke's role in the sequel without Ned going anywhere. They'll just have to reimagine the character in some small ways to not feel derivative to general audiences. Which, is so annoying when the reason for that is because a series of Peter films were derivative first, but whatever.

It's more so about what they'll do when live action Miles shows up, assuming said Miles ends up in the same continuity as Homecoming & Far From Home (regardless of if it's more Sony or Marvel Studios at that point). That will need a Ganke more so than those multiverse-heavy animated films do, & any comparisons to Ned will be that much more striking. Plus, if similar creatives and/or producers are in the mix at that point, this is a franchise that's already taken major liberties & omissions in the name of being different.

18. Tim

Anyways, on a less complainy note, here's some dope art:

Made that second one my phone wallpaper.

19. oakhurst Sep 15, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 15, 2020)
    oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

20. Tim

I'd still prefer that it be one of Sony's non-Marvel Studios films, since Kevin Feige is already overseeing so much Marvel content right now. After seeing the different vibe Venom had (& also Spider-Verse, but animation's obviously a different beast), I'd love to see what Olivia Wilde would create without any Marvel Studios house style in the mix.

Either way, I'm pumped. Though with this whole neverending pandemic mess, who knows what the timeline is for this or the rest of both Sony & Marvel's schedules.

21. Tim

Y’know, that Silk series Lord & Miller are developing for Sony could be a really special centerpiece to all their Marvel stuff if they let it.

By “all,” I mean “ALL.” Like, Tom Hardy Venom? Olivia Wilde’s Spider-Woman? Morbius? Marvel Studios’ Tom Holland Spider-Man? Animated Spider-Verse? She could organically tie into ALL of those, while still having a good standalone series that’s not weighed down by those connections.

Put JK Simmons’ Jameson in her show. Introduce Black Cat for the first time there. Flesh out that world with deep cut foes of Spider-Man. And, make Ezekiel part of the main cast, & Morlun the first big bad. Have this Cindy, Ezekiel, & Morlun then enter the animated Spider-Verse, voiced by whoever they cast.

Now, I don’t necessarily think most of that is likely to happen. Nor do I need it; these connected universes are overdone & often exhausting anyways. But, if Sony did want to create connective thread (or, connective web...?) between these various projects... I think Silk is the right linchpin for that.

22. Tim

https://tmblr.co/ZZbCsxZEdE_qiq00

I’ve seen Peter Parker described by some as Jewish before, but this is the best explanation I’ve seen of why he is. Touches on Stan Lee, Brian Michael Bendis, & Andrew Garfield along the way.

23. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I always thought of Peter as a Christian. With Aunt May having been a Christian in some comics as well as Peter praying in some. Peter and MJ also had a Christian wedding. When Peter has also visited Catholic churches as well. He could always be Jewish by blood and follows some of their traditions and then has Christian faith. I’ve researched it before and Peter has never said what his religion so the best we can do is guess.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. Tim

Did you click the (ugly-looking Tumblr) link in my post & read it?

There’s definitely inconsistency in how he’s been written in his gajillion appearances over the decades. But, at the very least, it does seem like, when Stanley Martin Lieber co-created him in the 60s & wrote him for his first decade of existence, he wrote him as a specific kind of New York Jewish boy. And, Bendis similarly wrote Ultimate Peter Parker as a Jewish boy (& was the sole writer of that version, so if nothing else, that version is 100% Jewish).

25. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Jason Tate, Christian Romero and Tim like this.