Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spencer (Pablo Larrain, 2021)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Mar 28, 2021.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

With Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, and Sean Harris

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

3. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

4. Cool poster

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

anne boleyn is in this???

7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

wasn't a huge fan of Jackie but will see this for KStew

8. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Man, sounds like this is absolutely incredible.

9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

trailer tomorrow

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

11. Saw the trailer before either No Time to Die or Dune, looks interesting.

12. George

Trusted Prestigious

I saw this last night, and I’m not sure I can think of a worse leading performance than Stewart in this, she is absolutely appalling, visibly acting and exaggerated with every motion, every single head tilt and eye roll, and not able to get close to the accent. I’ve seen lots of praise about her performance beforehand, which I cannot get my head around, it was completely “nails on a chalkboard” for two hours for me.

There’s a lot to like about the rest of the film, the score is great, Larrain’s direction and shot composition is excellent, and the blending of the fantasy and reality and history really works. The rest of the supporting cast are solid. There’s a couple of issues I have with the politics / class issues (but I can live with that, it’s introduced as a fable), but Stewart’s performance turns the film from something approaching great, to something that’s barely watchable for long stretches of time.

Considering the relatively consistent praise this is getting, this may be a minority opinion, but I was gobsmacked how she performed here.

13. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I fuckin loved this. Incredibly gripping, and actually genuinely spooky in parts. It’s incredibly oppressive, and I thought Steward was great.

14. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I think Stewart has the Oscar locked with this performance

15. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Thought this was great. Got some shining vibes for a minute there.

16. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah creepy as hell. Honestly kinda hard to understand the dialogue at times, think I’ll love it on a home rewatch.

17. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i had qualms (too long by about 20 mins is the big one) but i thought this was really effective and better than jackie. stewart was great, greenwood score is INCREDIBLE

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  18. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

note: i love so-heavily-stylized-it’s-practically-camp acting such as what stewart serves here

TJ Wells likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

this definitely needed a tw ed and self harm ,I could definitely see it being triggering
    Johnny Greenwood, Sally Hawkins, Sean Harris and the corgis mvps
    Kristen Stewart was good but it's jarring trying to grapple with "the real Diana" in combination with how dreamlike this movie is, I don't care how authentic a movie is, I actually like how this and Jackie do that, but that didn't stop my brain from trying to figure out if any of it was real

20. phaynes12

i don't think i've ever seen a movie with a trigger warning

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

isn't that what ratings are

22. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Actually an interesting concept that I could see happening, the way before something plays on HBO there’s that list of “nudity, violence, adult themes” etc

23. phaynes12

yeah, fair point. i feel like they're usually pretty vague and don't get into specific triggers, but you're right.

24. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah, just making it more specific I think would be helpful

25. phaynes12

Stewart was quite good and the score was incredible but as a movie this was just fine. The directing and script got in the way of the movie more than it serviced it