Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spanish Love Songs - Schmaltz (March 30, 2018) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Larry David, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Let us know about the set list - I’ve been really curious what they’ve been playing

Larry David likes this.
  2. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I'm really hoping it's just songs off this album / possibly the whole album

Larry David and Zac Djamoos like this.
  3. They have a 45 minute time slot in Chicago so I’d be totally cool with just hearing the whole album.

Larry David likes this.
  4. you vandal

Regular

You going to Subt tomorrow?

Larry David likes this.
  5. Larry David likes this.
  6. The show was so good tonight. They played eight from the new album - everything except “Otis” (kind of a bummer since it’s my favorite song on it), “El Nino,” and “Aloha” - plus four from the EP that I didn’t know but got great crowd reactions. They weren’t planning on doing “Buffalo” since it’s apparently hard to play but enough people yelled for it that they did it as an encore.

I also enjoyed the singer referring to Schmaltz as “the best second-rate Menzingers B-sides album of the year” or something like that. Is that a line from a review or something?

7. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Sounds like a line from a Chorus user haha

8. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Gonna have to check out the older stuff today so I’m familiar tomorrow. Any ideas which ones they played?

Larry David likes this.
  9. I didn’t realize until I put it on today that it’s a full album and not just an EP. It’s really solid too. They played “Nervous People,” “Dying,” “Mexico,” and “Vermont.”

JaytotheGee likes this.
  10. CochleaCocaine

Regular

Yup, Giant Sings The Blues. It's also solid as hell.

Bummed they didn't play "Bad Day" though, probably my favorite off that album. Still stoked to see them in a month.

11. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Cool to see a thread for this album. I was also at the Chicago show last Saturday and it was a lot of fun. Alex from Typesetter was doing a dj set at the Native after the show and the Spanish guys were there hanging out so I chatted them up a bit. They were really blown away by the response they got at that show. Hopefully more people get into them and the record picks up steam.

12. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Woah, this is insanely good. Thanks to Zac and whoever else was talking about this in the Hotelier thread, probably would have never found it otherwise.

Is their other material worth digging in to?

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  13. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I checked the other album out yesterday and it's solid but it's not as good as Schmaltz. Worth checking out for sure

I think the other album on Spotify is just an acoustic ep?

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  14. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Oh cool they’re playing here tomorrow night, I checked out this album just in time lol

15. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

giving this a shot after lunch today

16. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

I wasn’t that into it, so let’s see if it breaks the trend of us agreeing.

cwhit likes this.
  17. cwhit

doesn't necessarily seem like my thing but enough people i know like it that it deserves at least a listen to see if it sounds like what i think it does or not

18. Leftandleaving

My prediction: casey will like it, say it’s fine, and acknowledge that he will probably never return to it again - and he’ll be right

19. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Correct

Larry David, cwhit and Zac Djamoos like this.
  20. cwhit

am i really that predictable, folks?!?!?!

will let you know around 2!

Zac Djamoos and JaytotheGee like this.
  21. Leftandleaving

yr def not gonna get the full experience without the lyrics handy imo

Larry David likes this.
  22. cwhit

I’m not a big lyrical listener anyways

23. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

24. Leftandleaving

That’s definitely the number one draw of this for me. It’s a good punk album, but the lyrics are great

sean_rugy likes this.
  25. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I definitely hear the Menzingers comparisons but to me it sounds way more like Iron Chic.