Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone (February 7, 2020) Album • Page 25

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by 333 GANG, Jan 5, 2020.

1. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Tour is cancelled.

2. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

After seeing this pop up on so many mid-year lists on this site, I decided to check it out.

It is really quite good. Thanks to all of those who placed it on their lists for giving me a reason to seek it out!

3. tomtom94

Trusted

4. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Fuck yes. They deserve the praise!

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  5. soggytime

Trusted

Well, if they are reading this message board - all I have to say is guys, thank you for making this album. It will certainly be on many of our end of year lists here.

Also - thanks to this site I discovered this band as well.

6. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

Saw their album ranked pretty high up on the mid year lists and decided to check it out. Loving it so far

333 GANG and scottlechowicz like this.
  7. soggytime

Trusted

Don't know much about this guy but he seems to be a big hip-hop and black metal fan. He put Brave Faces Everyone as his no.1 album of the year so far. We don't usually see this sort of opinion among music youtube

8. Their Patreon has been great so far, and the metalcore version of "Bellyache" they released for subscribers today is so goofy and cool. I love this band.

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

very few songs have made me cry the way "kick" does

CarpetElf likes this.
  10. Pavel

Completely agree, nothing beats the Nickelback cover though :-)

troyplaysbass likes this.
  11. tomtom94

Trusted

12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I have fallen so deep in love with this band over the course of the last three months, it's astonishing.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

14. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

a close friend has been telling me to check this out for SO long and I kept forgetting about it til now. damn. really hitting me, especially with the *gestures at everything*

15. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Yeah, this album is perfect for 2020 in every way. I needed it. And I have not stopped listening to it since I first put it on. Love it.

jlinitz and .K. like this.
  16. Matt Chylak Sep 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 27, 2020)
    Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Finally got around to this and wow. Music in this genre hasn’t hit me this hard since Home, Like Noplace Is There. “Losers 2” is particularly stunning.

17. A lot of these songs have been bouncing around my head recently, but every time I go to listen to this record I just get so bummed I usually can't finish it. Anyone else feel that? I listen to a ton of sad/angry music, so it's a weird feeling. I just feel like where there's normally some sort of optimistic outlook amidst everything, this record feels pretty defeatist and almost nihilistic. Also, the topics are so intense and overwhelming that it just hits TOO hard.

pauljgreco and .K. like this.
  18. Carrow Oct 4, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 4, 2020)
    This remains fucking great. It's a pretty dark record but it's not necessarily hopeless, I've been getting back into it recently and there isn't a weak song on the thing. Major 2020 vibe for me.

19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s a heavy hitting record. Usually people make these hard hitting records around loss or some sort of event. This record just feels like a heavy hitting record based on everyday life. That’s harder for people to accept. I think the power of being able to write and confront that makes it hit even harder. It’s allows itself to be relatable and seems really suited for current times.

20. I really enjoy this take. I don't know if it's going to change how the record makes me feel, but that makes a lot of sense. I read through the lyrics and I really don't see many instances where a hopeful observation isn't immediately qualified by a negative one (one example being "It can't be this bleak forever/have you seen me lately?") but I understand how that would seem apt for this year in particular. I guess it's really hard for me to view my own everyday life in a nihilistic way - I have a lot to live for! - and therefore don't find that viewpoint compelling. Or rather, I find the way he presents it so compelling to himself that it's hard for me to stomach looking at my own life that way, when that's not how I feel.

I will say, this record makes you think and that's a point in its favor!!! I've definitely enjoyed records that cover similar themes. Oh, Common Life by Fireworks comes to mind. But this one, for some reason, is just so much more difficult to get through lyrically. I really just end up feeling drained and shitty. Glad people are digging it though. I can tell it's good, I guess it's just not for me right now.

.K. likes this.
  21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, it’s a real interesting and insightful record. I think the “positivity” in this record is with its listener. There can be loneliness in solitude, but if you can relate to this maybe you’re not alone. Hence the brilliance of the title Brave Faces Everyone. You are not alone. It’s like pushing through a low point.

Also the line “It can’t be this bleak forever” is one person speaking to another. I believe it was Meredith asking Dylan. His response “have you seen me lately”. Kinda shows there are different point of views, or hope for different point of views.

The band is called Spanish Love Songs, but they definitely aren’t songs about love in Spanish. The lyrics can be self deprecating, sarcastic and really not for everyone. But it’s self aware and apologetic lyrically. It’s feels honest, and unapologetic for being what it is as a record and as band though.

I really like it. I can see why people don’t. As side note, it feels like a big step for a band on record and even in a production sense. Record is a good length for the heavy content and has a nice balance of softer and louder moments. I enjoyed Schmaltz. I think Brave Faces is just leaves and impact, even if it’s a kick to the gut. I feel like I need to give Dylan a hug after listening to it and I’ve never even met the guy.

22. tomtom94

Trusted

One of the things that differentiates this album from Schmaltz is that it isn't just about nihilism and despair. It's a journey from the opening songs of the album, which are about finding a shared solidarity in pain and frustration, to putting one's best foot forward with that solidarity. "Optimism (As A Radical Life Choice)" is a pretty clear title.

troyplaysbass, .K. and Leftandleaving like this.
  23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

This is easily my album of the year thus far. It's been like, the perfect soundtrack, to the shittiest year of all-time.

navidson, 333 GANG and .K. like this.
  24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

kick is my most-played of the year by so much its almost embarrassing

25. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

the fact that this album came out this year is wild to me. it feels like it’s been forever since february.

orangehorizon and Fletchaaa like this.