Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone (February 7, 2020) Album • Page 17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by 333 GANG, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I think I like Schmaltz musically more, but I like BFE lyrically more. I also spent a few years with Schmaltz and only a month with this so my opinion could eventually change.

Jake W likes this.
  2. abw123

Trusted

Impossible to imagine, but exciting.

Jake W likes this.
  3. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

You'll love it I'm sure

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Schmaltz feels a little quirkier and looking for belonging/place in the world, and feeling like an outsider.

Brave Faces feels like dealing with struggles when you don’t belong/feel depressed alone/broken and are trying to ride out the storm.

Both good, and a natural progression from one album to the next.

5. abw123 Feb 25, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 25, 2020)
    abw123

Trusted

It's interesting, I'm sure a lot of people connect with Brave Faces Everyone for the lyrics about depression and personal connection to that.

But for me, it has nothing to do with that, I don't personally connect with that theme. I just really tend to like meaningful lyrics that are sung with great emotion. And this guy sings his FACE OFF. You can feel his hurt, you can feel his anger, you can feel his hopelessness, etc.

A singer who can make you feel something, anything, is to be treasured.

6. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

New tour dates. Pittsburgh on April 30th. Hell yeah!

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  8. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Hellllllll yeah. That’s a great lineup too, been wanting to see Dollar Signs for a while and always down to see Future Teens again.

9. abw123

Trusted

Do we think those blacked out dates are cities where they have yet to play with The Wonder Years, so they can't announce yet?

10. Almost certainly.

11. shea

RIP Supporter

Hope there’s an Atlanta in those blacked out dates. Missing them tonight.
    :tear:

12. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

For all those who have observed / complained this record sounds “samey” - you have a keen ear and a real point.

Songs 1-3, 6-7, 9-10 are all written in the key of D flat major. The chords are different but the root chord will always be D flat/C sharp. Kick and Beachfront Property are also back to back and written in E flat, along with Losers pt. 2. That means the entire record can be reduced to two chord structures.

It kicks even more ass every day. Early and big-time front runner for AOTY for me, even in front of Tame Impala.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

They had the flu, cut two songs from the set, and were SO FUCKING GOOD.

14. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Checked them out because Future Teens is touring with them and holy shit my new fave band

15. tomtom94

Trusted

I think I'd call this a 4 star album. It's really really good and the highs are possibly even greater than the highs on Schmaltz (certainly Dylan has clearly developed as a musician), but I do think it sounds a bit samey - I wonder if that is partly because they self-produced it.

In any case, they're going to tour off this, hopefully make bank, and keep expanding - like they deserve.

EDIT: If I had to make a comparison I would say it's sort of similar to The Wonder Years releasing No Closer to Heaven after TGG, or Menzingers putting out Rented World after OTIP. Still great albums in their own right but just not quite as good as what came before.

16. abw123

Trusted

The slow/fast outro to Routine Pain is so, so, good

17. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

"It gets harder, doesn't it?" breaks me every time.

18. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

fredwordsmith and Carrow like this.
  19. tomtom94

Trusted

I'd heard a couple of those but not the full thing. Thanks for sharing.

20. Iago

forbidden chalice.

listening to this band for the first time, currently on track 3, and first of all what the fuck

this is great

21. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Thank you for this. That song is such a great closer. Guys, this record is SO DAMN GOOD!

22. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I was a first timer a few weeks ago and now I’m buying stock in the band

there are dozens of us dot gif

navidson, Iago and DickyCullz like this.
  23. abw123

Trusted

Right there with you

24. Been trying to get into this since it came out and I’ve been reserving judgment in case it clicked at some point, but I think I finally have to accept the fact that I don’t like this album. Schmaltz was my favorite album of 2018 and I was really excited for this one, but there’s nothing on here that grabs like that album did. Agree that it’s super samey, especially side A, and the half-time chorus trick that they pull a lot here really gets repetitive after a while. I also liked the lyrics more on Schmaltz, I resonated with that depiction of existential anxiety a lot but I’m not latching into anything here. Idk. Hugely disappointing but proud of the band regardless. Happy that so many people on here dig this, I wish it clicked for me in the same way.

25. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I can understand not enjoying it as much as schmaltz but liking schmaltz and not liking this doesn’t make sense to me.