Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone (February 7, 2020) Album • Page 15

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by 333 GANG, Jan 5, 2020.

1. terps12

Regular

The cavalier manner in which you made that accusation and then subsequently downplayed it makes me feel weird.

y2jayjk, koryoreo and Carrow like this.
  2. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Also, it's really none of our business and whilst it's a bit shitty, he isn't obligated to talk about it or make songs about it?

3. seanxwilliams

Scar crossed lovers, forever

'And I'm so sick of saying, "Sorry", when I cry'

...damn :concerned:

sean_rugy and Jake W like this.
  4. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

Speaking about economic worry and the effect it has on our mental health makes me think of what happened with Phil from Somos. His girlfriend stated afterwards that it was something that he struggled tremendously with after his medical bills were reaching $100,000. It's something rarely spoken about in music so it being a recurrent theme in SLS's songs is something that I love as it's an incredibly important issue that effects all of us.

5. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

*rock music

ImAMetaphor, Carrow and Built to Fail like this.
  6. Yellowcard2006 Feb 11, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 11, 2020)
    Yellowcard2006

Trusted

This was an interview I read a long time ago where Soupy said the album that became "The Upsides" was initially about giving up and going to focus solely on his depression but he had a change of heart and wrote it instead about optimism in the face of sadness/bullshit. (paraphrasing here)

When I listen to this album and other songs by SLS I feel like they are writing that pessimist mirrored version of TWY.

I dig how raw and sad the lyrics are but it doesn't really hit me the same as TWY albums did because it's mostly just sad vibes and nothing like "Things got a bit lighter, I guess my dad was right" or "and if this year would just end I think we'd all be ok"

This album's theme are mostly "things are shit and it appears that's not changing if anything it'll be worse"

I like this like though "It won't be this bleak forever (Yeah right)" and then "It won't be this bleak forever (And I hope you're right)"

I wish there was more stuff like that

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

yeah but i think this album exists in a great space where people just need to feel like someone relates to them. folks who are living paycheck to paycheck may not necessarily want to listen to a positive song about how it gets better because maybe for them its not getting better and it just helps sometimes to not just hear itll get better, but listen to someone so you know you're not alone.

i think its very easy to just dismiss these lyrics as 'sad and heavy', but i bet theyre real important to some folks.

8. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I agree the lyrics are just as powerful just in a different way. I feel sorta distant from them as I haven't experienced money issues the way Dylan has so that's probably is coloring my opinion of the lyrics.

9. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Pretty much this. Sometimes I don't want to be fed the narrative that it's all gonna work out and be okay when in actuality it's not going to "just" work out or be okay. Sometimes it's just gonna be really shitty. There's space for that too. Maybe it's the emo kid in me that won't die but sometimes wallowing in my misery is all I can do lol. But in some ways that can help me pick myself up after.

10. K0ta

Yeah I would say you're not gonna get the absolute weight of that feeling if you haven't experienced this because it's so all encompassing of your every day life that hopelessness is something that you constantly battle against if you're in that position, which is why his perspective on it really feels raw and hits home for so many of us.

333 GANG likes this.
  11. K0ta

And that's not to say that there can't be hope in singing lyrics that are so sad - honestly sometimes going to shows and screaming lyrics that I relate to is how I cope with things, knowing you're in a crowd of people that are experiencing the same or similar things. That feeling of being seen in a song is therapeutic in and of itself I would argue.

12. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah in terms of music being therapeutic for me, if I’m in a really sad or bad mental place I’m going to reach for the saddest, darkest music to help me. Listening to something more uplifting and positive doesn’t help me in most cases lol.

13. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Not to out myself as a bummer or anything, but I’m not really in a headspace where I want super positive music. Shit looks bleak most of the time, and I kind of need that to be validated. Tbh one of the reasons I never fully “got” The Upsides is because it felt like performing positivity to me. I’m in no way trying to discount the emotion behind that album or say it’s inauthentic, but to me personally, I needed something grittier. I’ve also liked their later output more for that reason.

14. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I like the Upsides specifically because of the positivity, and i like this album specifically because it knows life isn't always positive. Different moods hit different things. Sometimes I need to think about how things will get better and sometimes I need fuck man everything blooows lol

15. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I feel that

Penguin likes this.
  16. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Alright so I’ve been on hiatus from the internet for a while and now I’m back and this album is a big reason why I felt the need to come back because I have to gush about it somewhere. I got an advance of it around the beginning of the year and I haven’t been able to put it down.

the first time I heard this album I got the same feeling in my gut that I got the first time I heard The Greatest Generation, On The Impossible Past, The Future Is Cancelled, Mean Everything To Nothing etc. it’s absolutely blown me away and I can not stop listening to it and picking it apart.

it’s overwhelmingly sad and heavy in its themes but like the albums I mentioned above it’s comforting in its relatability. It cuts deep in a lot of places but it’s such a breezy listen that I can’t help but play it over and over.

musically they stretch their muscles out enough to keep things interesting. Meredith gets more time to shine and there’s just more atmosphere and space in the songs. Sometimes it can feel like one long song but I think it works for the sake of the reprises and interconnectivity.

I really can’t say enough good things about this album. I couldn’t pick a least favorite or a favorite track if I had to. If I listen to one song I have to listen to all 10. An absolute phenomenal batch of songs.

17. rbsfeatures

Regular

I REALLY agree with this post. The best moments on the album (for me personally) are:

The chorus of Beach Front Property (If every city is the same/Doom and gloom under a different name/Maybe we should find our home in one)

And in Brave Faces Everyone (You know it’s dark most of the week/But if I burn this place down we’d have some heat/ At least I’m seeing things more positively).

Probably because those two bits are very Upsidesey.

Yellowcard2006 likes this.
  18. HalfHearted

Regular

The opener/closer combo on this album is too good.

333 GANG, 5Stories and Carrow like this.
  19. abw123

Trusted

The guitars on this are absolutely crushingly good

333 GANG and 5Stories like this.
  20. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Ngl I cried a little during Routine Pain tonight

21. tomtom94

Trusted

I've seen plenty of gigs in my time and there was nothing quite like the catharsis I felt screaming the opening lyrics to Losers

22. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

The new songs sounded so good live last night, crowd sounded well loud for them too. I thought all 3 bands were great last night but SLS’s set was definitely my favourite of the 3.

orangehorizon and Jake W like this.
  23. 5Stories

Regular

Same they were great. It was a shame the Banquet Records instore was so packed, could barely see a thing. Not an ideal location for a gig! Still, it was a great day.

24. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

SLS are just one of those bands that have weirdly tall fans lol. Same with Menz

25. spreadthehummus2321 Feb 16, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 16, 2020)
    spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

as a weirdly tall fan myself i can confirm, we are definitely a particular ppl w a sweet spot for melodic pop punk that may seem nihilistic at face value but still has constructive messages that can be taken away at the end of the day

it also doesnt hurt that these kinds of bands tend to have a lot of slim fit xl shirts in stock

5Stories and Jake W like this.