Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone (February 7, 2020) Album • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by 333 GANG, Jan 5, 2020.

1. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

just off first impressions i think i like this new album a little better than schmaltz but not quite as much as giant. either way pretty consistent catelog.

terps12 likes this.
  2. rbsfeatures

Regular

Will show my reasoning. On top of lots of sonic similarities between the songs, the vocals being sung in the same way throughout (as has been mentioned above), the topics in the songs are very similar. There are comparisons to TGG by the Wonder Years, but all the songs on that album has their own flavour and normally their own topic.

Eg. Teenage Parents is about not having a lot of money growing up, coming from a poor background etc. And in one song they say what SLS take the whole album to say here. These lyrics about not having enough money come from across the record. All these lyrics below sound like they could be from the same song, but they're from almost every song. Only Routine Pain and Dolores avoid the topic.

This is a creative choice! Not one I like personally but I can see why they've done it.

All I have are missed bank payments

But I can't eat off this paycheck

You got out of your parent's place/started making money

In this budget-rate life/The borderline's looking thin

What’s another ten grand gonna fix in the end?

Got eight hundred dollars to my name

Trying to take these bastards for a quarter of a million

Getting outpriced of our apartments

It’s cheaper just to die

I’ll live my life off points/from credit card financing

Or making another millionaire or billionaire

What would it take to be happy/I’ll probably start with the money

It’s a place I can’t afford

Don’t you know you were born to die poor man?

Stuck working at that third job driving well-meaning moms to protest for minimum wage

The cost of living means the cost to stay alive

Living paycheck to paycheck

A life spent living off loans

I’m over-leveraged, my credit’s gone weak

3. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

As someone who struggles from not having enough funds to live comfortably because my job underpays me, my student debt is crippling, and medical bills are outrageous ... I don’t mind knowing I’m not alone.

4. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Lol ditto but I get the criticism.

5. rbsfeatures

Regular

Absolutely am not saying that other people should feel the same as I do, nor that it's not an important topic - it is. Just that the record all blends together for me, which apparently is the worst take that someone has ever seen

dpassen1 likes this.
  6. EntryLevelTank

There have been many many worse takes lol.

7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

If you want bad takes, go to the Green Day thread. Whatever your opinion is, you're bound to disagree with at least 50% of the posts there, maybe even mine.

333 GANG likes this.
  8. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I don’t mind the lyrics but I still can’t really get into this band as much as I want to because of the, uh, theatrical vocals. I’ll keep trying.

9. clucky

Trusted Supporter

It's like critizing Bernie because everything boils down to income inequality for him too.

Jake W likes this.
  10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I have no idea what this means haha

11. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Yeah I don’t really know how to describe it so I settled on theatrical. Maybe dramatic would be an alternative.

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Beach Front Property is gonna make me cry in the car

I think about money all the time and also, you know, systemic income inequality, so I don’t mind that being a recurring theme

13. 333 GANG

ACAB

Same

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  14. goosetoph

u wut m8?

I think this record really shows how having to worry constantly about your economic place can permeate through every facet of your life, which is potentially why the songs all have similar threads.

Also, I love this record and love this band

15. JM95

Trusted

It's earnest. I don't see how that can be questioned.

koryoreo, awakeohsleeper and Jake W like this.
  16. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

It's literally impossible for me to separate out my mental health from my financial problems at times. Right now is a particularly vulnerable time and this album is hitting hard because of it. Personally the similar theme throughout the album is why I like it that much more and can't stop playing these songs since it came out. It sucks that so many are struggling in the same way but it is cathartic for me to sing along to songs/with artists that get it.

17. ImAMetaphor

It's also a good reminder that you can be in a reasonably successful band and still struggle so much with money

333 GANG likes this.
  18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Finally got around to this. Incredible, as expected. The only "criticism" I have is Optimism is jarringly Wonder Years-like.

19. ImAMetaphor

I don't love the verses in Losers, Pt. 2 but that chorus kicks total ass

20. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

This is a banger, can't stop listening

21. mernest444

Still waiting on the songs that talk about the singer's recent infidelity! Decent band though!

22. ImAMetaphor

Huh?

23. EntryLevelTank

Huh

24. mernest444

Dude cheated on his ex. No one is perfect, it's just all I think about when I see them pop up. Probably hits home more for me since it happened to someone I know- but there are far worse people who front bands who have done far worse things. It may just be me being petty, idk.

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  25. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

that sucks but also tracks