Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Space Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Apr 10, 2016.

1. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

There's a cool special about Juno on Science Channel right now. Probably a re-run.

2. muttley

[​IMG]
    (that version is not horizontally compressed)

Also a reminder that Perseids is August 12/13. I'm sure I've already mentioned that on this page. Hoping for clear skies out here.

AelNire likes this.
  3. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I was 11 when I saw Hale Bopp and I've never seen anything as magical as that. A big group of us and our parents went to a big field so there were no lights and took telescopes. We didn't even need the telescopes but it was amazing to see it that way. There's something magical about seeing something that won't be seen again for a while.

muttley and Aaron Mook like this.
  4. muttley

@AelNire how long was it in the sky?
    Perseids usually brings a lot but each meteor is only visible for a second or two.

5. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

18 months! It was unreal.

6. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I don't have much to contribute here, but just saying that I appreciate you guys posting updates. I stopped searching out science and space stuff but this is making me remember why I used to do that in the first place.

coleslawed, muttley and AelNire like this.
  7. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Welcome! ❤️

8. muttley

[​IMG]

Aaron Mook and coleslawed like this.
  9. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

My cousin used to be an astronaut and this one time when I was 12 I had thanksgiving at my aunts. She stopped dinner and told us my cousin Danny was on the phone and he was in OUTER SPACE. The delay was like 30 seconds. I was 12 and didn't have much to say. This is my contribution to the space thread. And athank you.

10. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

This is really, really good.

bigmike likes this.
  11. muttley

bigmike and AelNire like this.
  12. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

I've enjoyed the past few nights going out and staring at the sky. The moon isn't rising until late and there's hardly any light pollution where I live so I've been able to clearly see the Milky Way every night.

13. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

One of the best dates I had was we did a bunch of stuff and when we came home we laid on the trampoline listening to music and watching the stars. I saw a shooting star and thought this relationship is gonna be great. We didn't see each other much after that bc of work haha Stupid star.

14. muttley

Dark Sky Finder
    Not sure how accurate this thing is. I was looking for a good place to go in August for the meteor shower and everything seems too far away. Id rather drive an hour one-way and have a good view than drive 3-4 hours for a slightly better view.

bigmike and dhayes like this.
  15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I've checked our that dark sky site before. it's really crazy how far into the boonies you have to go to get a true dark sky.

muttley likes this.
  16. muttley

Another reason why I never want to move east of the Rockies.

17. muttley

AelNire likes this.
  18. muttley

Well this is awesome.

Ken, coleslawed, bigmike and 4 others like this.
  19. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Wow..my fucking brain just exploded. That's really cool.

bigmike, Aaron Mook and muttley like this.
  20. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Anticitizen7 and AelNire like this.
  21. muttley

It's crazy how much we can't see in our own solar system.

Perseids peaks late tonight. Not sure if I'm going out tomorrow night or Saturday night. We should have mostly clear skies so it should be a good show either way.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

23. muttley

I got a few minutes to look up at the sky tonight. I was hounded my mosquitos so I had to watch from inside the car for most of it.

First time I've seen the stars since I started wearing glasses. It was so great that I forgot I was there for the shower.

AelNire and coleslawed like this.
  24. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

25. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I'm staying with my parents tonight at their
    house in the country with no lights. I CANT WAIT FOR IT TO GET DARK. I'm excited.

coleslawed, Dirty Sanchez and muttley like this.