Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Space Thread

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Apr 10, 2016.

1. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

these threads about where we all live are getting out of hand

3. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

at least this one is a bit more inclusive

truelovewaits, Aaron Mook and muttley like this.
  4. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I like following NASA on instagram for the sick pictures.

muttley likes this.
  5. muttley

6. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

That's a good idea which I never thought of.

7. muttley

If anyone is interested in star gazing, I highly recommend Sky Guide. Best $3 I've ever spent on an app.
    Unfortunately, they are not paying me to say this.

8. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

I used to be fascinated with this kinda stuff when I was younger. Im still interested in it, but I hardly follow it as hard as back then. Still interests the shit out of me though.

muttley likes this.
  9. muttley

I wasn't fascinated with the subject until last year. It's crazy how complacent I was with everything in the sky before then. It's like I didn't notice it at all. Now I'm...ahem... star struck.

But seriously. Looking at a star, or even the moon sometimes makes me feel absolutely useless, in the best way possible. I love it.

DontTellMom and ChiliTacos like this.
  10. mena

This whole box is Pepe Silvia! Prestigious

Ditto. I was overly obsessed with space as a child. I think lots of kids are into space, dinosaurs, or ancient Egypt when little. I guess the mystery around all those is fascinating.

11. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Lived in rural Arizona for my first 12 years of life (more mountains than desert, thankfully). Of the few things I actually miss about the place the night sky was definitely up there as one of them. Crazy that people go decades without seeing it unspoiled -- it's so insanely beautiful. The study of space itself, the so-called fabric it's made of, is insanely interesting as well.

12. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

space is sick

popdisaster00 likes this.
  13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Absolutely fascinated by space; for my science class requirement in college I took Astronomy. Have tons of books about space at home. I've watched tons of space documentaries throughout the years. Loved NDGT's "Cosmos" series when it came out; Carl Sagan's is pretty sweet too. Seeing NDGT speak here in MN in June.

Anybody about this Breakthrough Starshot project? Sending a space sail to nearest star Alpha Centari in 20 years, getting up to 20% the speed of light

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=35402

Stephen Hawking: 'Transcending Our Limits' With Breakthrough Starshot | Video

20 Percent Light Speed To Alpha Centauri! Nanocraft Concept Unveiled | Video

14. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

I will enjoy this thread

15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I love space. I took an astronomy class in college, and the professor was ex-NASA, so it was really cool just hearing him talk about things. One class, we went outside just around sun down, he pointed to this area in the sky and said look right there and don't blink for 5 seconds. Sure enough within the 5 seconds we saw a satellite flare. In this giant vast sky, he pointed to the exact location, with a 5 second buffer, of when the sun light would reflect off a satellite panel and we'd see it. It was incredible.

Also, on our trip to Hawaii, we went on a drive up Mount Haleakala (10,000 ft elevation), and the view of the stars was something I've never seen before. It was breathtaking. I sat on the roof of my car and just stared. I live in Baltimore so light pollution just ruins everything, so seeing something like this blew me away. Not my image, but this is from Mount Haleakala:

[​IMG]

16. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

I'm a senior in high school and there is a full year science elective on Space, Astronomy, and Planetary Exploration. I'm really glad I took it. Space has always been something I've been interested it, but it is just absolutely amazing how big the universe really is. I still can't get over it haha.

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This

18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Also, last night bought a ticket to see Neil Degrasse Tyson live in Minneapolis in June; pretty excited. Will be my 2nd time seeing him live; ticket cost $115, but it's ground level fairly close to the stage, and considering his cultural status, not too bad of a price

19. stars125

I've heard it both ways.

20. muttley Apr 20, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 20, 2016)
    muttley

Heard about this last night; not sure if it holds up, but it's interesting nonetheless.
    Nemesis (hypothetical star) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@stars125 Adding this to my homepage.

Also, the full moon on the 22nd is supposed to be pink or something. I'm guessing it will look like any other full moon.. Google it for more info, because I don't think it's link-worthy here.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  21. Tom Kelly

I spent both days last weekend in DC at the USA Science and Engineering Festival and only left the NASA corner to talk to the Particle Physicians for a little bit haha. People at NASA were super nice and very talkative. Unfortunately, the SpaceX folks seem really disengaged and it bummed me out, considering the history they made with the Falcon 9 first stage landing the week before.

I'm getting a private tour of NASA Goddard with some fellow Planetary Society members next week to see the James Webb Space Telescope. What what?!? I'll make sure to post some pics of my hardstyling in the clean room with the girlfriend! Haha.

If you're interested in space and podcasts, I'd highly recommend Planetary Radio, Liftoff (by Relay.fm) and StarTalk with Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and Astronomy Cast, if you're a little above base knowledge of the subject. Gets me through long shifts at work.

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

StarTalk is great; sometimes I don't like when they have episodes that go pretty far off-topic of anything astronomy-related, but still overall, a great podcast. Will have to check out those others.

And get us pics of the JWST!

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Any cool space instagrams? I mostly just follow ISS.

24. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I really enjoyed that space comedy the Martian.

lightning13 likes this.
  25. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious