Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Space Force (Greg Daniels, Steve Carrell) • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by FlayedManOfSF, Jan 16, 2019.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

absolutely not lol

2. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Why did they have to let the Krass bros write it?

Sean Murphy likes this.
  3. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

:shrug: I liked it a lot. But I also really enjoyed Medical Police which a lot of people didn't seem to love. It's just random, dumb humor

JRGComedy and riotspray like this.
  4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This is nowhere near The Office and Parks & Rec for me. Both of those shows knew how to hit those sentimental moments so naturally. This is just like "Yeah, Steve Carell is an asshole, but uhhh...look, he loves his daughter."

5. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Maybe they do some major course correction for S2.

6. RyanPm40

Scott D. Pierce: Steve Carell leads ‘Space Force,’ and it’s outrageous and funny

And too much is being made of the too obvious comparisons to “The Office.” Yes, they’re both workplace comedies, sort of. But “Space Force” is more in the vein of “Police Squad,” “Reno 911” or even “Get Smart” — an intentionally ludicrous, bombastic and broad parody populated by generally cartoonish characters.

I think that's more of a fair comparison and a fair review acknowledging that it is wildly uneven episode to episode

But hey we have our own tastes in comedy, nothing wrong with that!

riotspray likes this.
  7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Has anyone besides Ryan watched the whole thing?

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Medical Police was great.

9. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

First of all sorry this got so long. I just finished the season yesterday. I spent the majority of my time watching it thinking it was going to pick up a bit but nope. It was fine. Completely inoffensive overall. I think lots of the bits fall short or are under cooked. Some weird plot points that they didnt follow through with at all, like Naird's wife's situation, never explained or really mentioned properly, they just expect you to go along with it from the start. I thought the relationship between Naird and Dr. Mallory was a big positive for me, mostly due to Malkovich just being who he is. Other performances I thought were good came from Jimmy O. Yang, Tawny Newsome, Don Lake, and of course Fred Willard was awesome in his scenes. Otherwise theres TONS of wasted talent throughout. I think they tried to stuff way too many big names into it to seem impressive or something but the show suffered from that in the end. I like the premise of this show but the execution still needs a lot of work if season 2 is going to be any good. Really hoping for a Parks situation where the writing improves in the subsequent season(s) and maybe they trim the fat in terms of the cast. So I dont think this is great but I also dont think its bad enough to the point where I wont end up watching S2 whenever that comes.

RyanPm40, riotspray and Zilla like this.
  10. I expected Space Force to definitely be more in the vein of the dumb brainless comedies like Medical Police, Angie Tribeca, and Police Squad. The first episode wasn’t quite that so I was kinda bummed. Didn’t end up watching anymore. But maybe I’ll watch some more today and see how it goes.

RyanPm40 and riotspray like this.
  11. RyanPm40

I think those are fair critiques, though I really liked it anyways. Definitely some wasted talent there and the show is far from perfect. Personally, I thought it was fucking hysterical that they never explained why she went to prison haha. When she tells her daughter about poisoning someone I was dying lol. Agree that the relationship between Naird and and Dr. Mallory was great. Tbh, I think that's when the show got way better- when we really saw the two playing off each other. Ben Shwartz is the real highlight for me though, he has a more prominent role than I expected and I'm here for it

mattav152 likes this.
  12. flask

Trusted Supporter

I watched the first two episodes and found it boring. I was explaining the second episode to my friend this morning about how they need a monkey to fix the satellite and I was cracking up more than when I actually watched it. Like they made such a funny premise not funny.

riotspray, Zilla and RyanPm40 like this.
  13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Finished today and it's a solid C I think. I think it could easily improve next season, I don't think it's beyond salvaging like some other people seem to. Cast is great, particularly Malkovich, and the show is shot really nice, it looks like a movie most of the time. Jokes were hit or miss but some definitely got me, and I did tend to like the more heartfelt bits too

Biggest complaints were some weird story elements. I felt like we skipped an episode or something, we went from Jimmy Yang and Tawny Newsome meeting, with her trying to study to become an astronaut, to being super close friends/potential love interests the next episode, and then randomly jumping to her being fully an astronaut and leading the team. I almost feel like they should have added an episode in between those elements, made the second to last episode the finale, and made the finale the premiere for the next season. That would also get rid of the problem of the super unsatisfying cliffhanger ending.

Overall I'm glad this exists and I'll look forward to the next season in hopes that it will improve

mattav152 and RyanPm40 like this.
  14. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

10000% feels like they jumped the story too far. I don't know if 10 episodes was always the plan, but this season would be infinitely better with 12 episodes.

Also what happens in a previous episode like hardly seems to matter except for just making connections to different characters.

Malkovich / Schwartz steal the show. I do think we need an episode with those two interacting extensively.

tdlyon likes this.
  15. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

Also to chime in a bit, I hated Parks and Rec season 1. Leslie was closer to a ditzy blonde than what her iconic character ended up being.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  16. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

P&R season one at least had the rock show episode with Mouse Rat. There’s not a single episode of this that particularly stands out to me as promising.

As said before, the group of astronauts that we’re supposedly gonna spend time with in space are not interesting in the slightest, and I love Tawny, Chris Gethard and Aparna. But the latter two are stone cold idiots saddled with bad jokes.

uuu likes this.
  17. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

Yup. That cast they isolated and sent up was awful.

Zilla likes this.
  18. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Malkovich steals this entire show

Brent, Zilla and RyanPm40 like this.
  19. EddieDS Jun 4, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 4, 2020)
    EddieDS

Regular Supporter

show is fine. at one point I wasn't paying attention to it and thought malkovich was mr robot in the f corp universe

Brent likes this.
  20. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Episode 2 was really bad

Brent likes this.
  21. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I've only watched the first 3 episodes but don't knw if I'll continue. I'm a completist, so it will bother me to have unwatched episodes remaining, but for a half hour show, this was kind of a slog to get through.

22. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely a difficult show to get through... I think I have two or three episodes left. And it just feels like I have to finish it after getting this far along. The security guard's role is just so... annoying. Gronk like x 100.

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Honestly surprised they didn't rush to renew it already

24. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

watched the first episode the day that it came out and it was seriously a struggle to watch. the AOC, Pelosi, and Schumer parodies were not good at all, in my opinion. and I haven't come back to it.

maybe at some point this summer, but if the first episode is any indication of this show, I don't know if I'll finish it.

Brent likes this.
  25. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious