Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Space Force (Greg Daniels, Steve Carrell)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by FlayedManOfSF, Jan 16, 2019.

1. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Created by Greg Daniels and Steve Carrell

This has me so excited.

2. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

This can’t be real right?

3. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

This makes me depressed.

Brent and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

After Angie Tribeca, I'm willing to give Carrell produced stuff a shot.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I can't even imagine the amount of money Netflix must have paid to get this series.

6. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Apparently they’re gonna pay Carrell over $1 million per episode. That’s a new record for per-episode salary.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  7. Anthony_

Being able to say you're essentially airing new episodes of The Office is a big deal, I suppose. I guess this is part of how they're planning on countering the news of the latest fee hike. Although if they'd just slow down for a second and stop entering into this completely insane production deals maybe they wouldn't need to hike their fees so often.

8. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

They recently said that The Office accounts for like 8% of their total streaming traffic so if they’re gonna go all out on a production deal, it makes sense it’d be this one

Kingjohn_654 and Brent like this.
  9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

So he's the reason I'm canceling Netflix.

Kingjohn_654 and Brent like this.
  10. Anthony_

Yeah it definitely does make sense. It's almost like a snake eating its own tail scenario though: they need super expensive content to retain subscribers, and they wouldn't need to retain as many subscribers if they weren't raising fees, and they wouldn't be raising fees if they weren't spending so much money on content, and they wouldn't be spending so much money on content if they didn't need to retain subscribers . . . . . . .

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  11. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

12. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Kingjohn_654 and VanMastaIteHab like this.
  13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Everyone seems so into this but the idea of it sounds really terrible to me.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  14. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I thought the same about a show centering around a Parks and Recreation department. Boy was I wrong.

15. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Agreed, but some of the best shows have terrible premises and some of the worst shows have the best so who knows.

16. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

When I first read the headline I never expected Steve to actually be acting in it, just producing

I'm incredibly hyped, hopefully they cast some really funny supporting actors too

17. I have a hard time not imagining it as The Office in space. Which sounds awesome as it is. Hyped.

18. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Well, Friends is a show about friends. Seinfeld is a show about nothing. Both are classics.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  19. Anthony_ Jan 17, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 26, 2019)
    Anthony_

It sounds like it’s going to be “The Office, but in a military facility in Texas” or somewhere similar. It’s about the people who have to figure out what the Space Force is even supposed to be and how to implement it, not the actual Space Force itself.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

There’s nothing wrong with either of those things on paper though, they’re just simple ideas. This is either secretly an Office reboot which I don’t think is necessary, or a comedy about a sadly real thing that is waaaaay too young to be parodying. If anything about the Space Force gets off the ground (no pun intended) a show about how useless and impossible it is won’t age well, and if nothing comes of it then a show about people trying to implement it won’t age well either because who will remember it? I trust the team involved but I really wish this was news about a different show.

21. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

You can easily edit your statement to this:

"If anything about Dundler Mifflin gets off the ground (no pun intended) a show about how useless and impossible it is won’t age well, and if nothing comes of it then a show about people trying to implement it won’t age well either because who will remember it?"

22. stars143

Trusted

$1m isn't crazy, especially compared to what some comedians have received for their specials. I imagine actors for Netflix shows don't get any form of residuals either.

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

What? Dunder Mifflin isn’t a real company...

24. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Right. My point being I don't think anyones too concerned if Space Force is or isn't real/will or won't exist.

25. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I am pretty concerned about this/the idea of a show about it makes me a little upset. I’m not writing it off yet, but the idea leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.