Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

South Park (Comedy Central) TV Show • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tdlyon, Mar 31, 2016.

1. devenstonow

Noobie

Well, it's been a while since I watched the 'making-of documentary'(it was for the Human Cen-iPad episode), but I'd assume that it's just how Matt and Trey work best and, when it comes down to it, we get episodes that can touch on current events like no other (narrative) show can. Also when I said trusted, I meant not necessarily that they're gonna submit quality stuff, but that they're not gonna cross the (already far out) line in content.

And I don't think the show has declined over the last ten years, it's just become a completely different show. And while I do think that (for now) that they generally wasted Kaepernick and the controversy as a whole, they just didn't go for that angle, which is fine. If you've watched NFL games this season (which the actual broadcasting of this is what the episode primarily parodied), the national anthem controversy isn't being presented on the basis/based around what is actually being protested. The volleyball commentating was literally spot on for how it's being treated on broadcasts.

2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Okay so tonight's was fantastic. The montage of Gerald trolling while the Boston song played had me cracking up and the whole thing was just consistently really funny and clever. Fully on board with this storyline now

domotime2 likes this.
  3. That ending was hilarious.

4. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Not a lot of jokes really hit me, but I was impressed by how cinematic a lot of scenes looked.

RuckerPark likes this.
  5. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Loved it haha. That was touching on Kanye quitting Twitter, right?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think more stuff like this

Joel likes this.
  7. brentkid

Regular

This. The ESPN Monday night pre-show discussed the topic and it was literally reporting on what players said they might do something during the anthem and speculating what gesture they may go with. NOTHING was discussed about what it meant to the players or any sort of further insight as to why it's happening.

8. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Just like South Park.

RuckerPark likes this.
  9. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

That's the point. The guy just said the ESPN broadcast didn't touch on that, and they are satirizing that exact aspect.

I don't know, I think if you guys are expecting a 20 minute animated comedy to get to the root of every problem they poke fun at you might be asking a little much

10. It's South Park.....

11. Davjs

Trusted

Bingo. Thank you.

Joel and Ken like this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The first episode was pretty stupid but the Member Berries had me dying

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Nah, I don't buy the dismissal that because it's a "20 minute animated comedy" it should be exempt from following through with a statement. They're big boys, they've made points before. The national anthem plot seemed incredibly "ripped from the headlines" and poorly thought out

14. Nathan

Since J.J. Abrams' movies are the memberberries of cinema, I wonder why they weren't connected more explicitly.

15. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I laughed so damn hard when the kindergartners broke up. The entire break up montage was ace.

domotime2 and Davjs like this.
  16. Morrissey

Trusted

Why does it matter if it is animated or a comedy?

17. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I thought the ending of this episode was great, especially with the use of the score from Black Hawk Down.

18. 2/2 so far this season.

domotime2 likes this.
  19. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

THAT'S what it was. Fucking thank you. And yeah Kyle's dad shredding the keyboard to Boston was incredible.

cubsml34 and DarkHotline like this.
  20. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

To make an even bigger leap of a connection, with the guise of suicide used for the kids quitting Twitter, Boston's Brad Delp actually killed himself

21. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

100%.

Also, new episode was good. Loved Gerald's 'Steal My Sunshine' montage and the break up montage. The member berries are cool but I'm hoping they don't get overused throughout the season.

22. Nathan

"South Park is brilliant! Matt and Trey are geniuses!"

"Wow critics are expecting a cartoon to be in-depth and detailed lol"

23. Joel Sep 26, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 26, 2016)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

No, it's that you need to consider twenty minutes isn't enough to both lampoon five topics and also provide you with some profound remedy to each and every one of them. That is totally baseless and doesn't actually acknowledge the merit in what I said - they do a good job of bringing things to light in a way that is comically satisfying and socially poignant. They never promised to cure the world and I think it's really annoying to take away from their accomplishments because of that. I'm not the sharpest tool in any shed but even I know that you can give an enlightened critique without having all the answers.

You're initial complaint was that they satirized the media's lack of engagement in the sports protest by reflecting that very lack of engagement intentionally so I do not know what you're getting at. It is fine to not like the show but to say that "they aren't doing enough" is unwarranted.

24. Morrissey

Trusted

This keeps happening way too often. It insults the earlier seasons of South Park and what they were able to accomplish, as well. If they can make meaningful commentary on the effects of war on the Middle East in 22 minutes, the National Anthem controversy should not be hard.

Nathan likes this.
  25. Nathan

It's not about "curing the world", South Park has never had solutions for deep rooted social issues. But it's had something to say about them before, and the episode I critiqued had absolutely nothing to say about Black Lives Matter or the Kaepernick protest, outside of the light critique of the media (which was a good joke! One good joke). But instead of point out how the media is missing the point of the protests by fixating so closely on who is protesting and how, South Park de-legitimizes the protests by tying it to their weird storyline about an online troll being the reason kids are protesting. It's an excuse to get into their season-long arc and be topical at the same time, but it's a weak connection and when South Park goes into season long arcs, they weaken a lot of what they're best at. Because you're right, 20 minutes isn't a lot of time to talk about important things, especially when you're devoting most of your time to setting up a larger, unrelated story. It was a weak episode of television, not nearly up to par with the way South Park has dealt with big social issues before. That's plain and observable to see. You could argue it was never their intent to treat Black Lives Matter/the Kaepernick protest as the main story, but that's a weakness too as they've decided to forgo that in favor of the Kyle's dad is an internet troll storyline. Which might pay off, but left the season premiere thematically empty.