Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sound of Metal (Darius Marder, November 20, 2020) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Marx&Recreation Jan 15, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2021)
    Marx&Recreation

Trusted

He wasn’t simply trying to get back to his girlfriend, he was trying to get back to his past life and throughout the film was fighting against the idea that his life will never go back to normal. It was when he got the implants that he believed he had won. Visiting his girlfriend was when reality finally caught up to him

2. OotyPa

fall away

I think it was the experience of listening to his girlfriend sing with the implants that really woke him up.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I didn't get the vibe at all that she gave up on him; maybe on the touring life, but not him. Plus, making such a quick judgement after only being there like 12 hours felt a bit unrealistic to me. To me it seemed like they ended the film so quickly for dramatic effect. Overall it's a great film; I just wish it didn't end in a rushed manner

4. OotyPa

fall away

I think that probably comes down to film edits. We don’t need to see the slow day-by-day disintegration of their relationship. That’s not what this film is about. In fact, I felt the reunion with his girlfriend to be the most “extra” part of this film and could’ve gone without it entirely.

5. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I think in the back of his head he knew he was never getting back his old life and when he got there and saw her he finally realized it. It didn’t take a week. He knew basically right away.

6. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Judging by the scars on her arms early in the film, she was a cutter. When she starts scratching at them when they’re back together, it’s obvious he’s a trigger for that part of her life that she’s left behind. I think that gives him the epiphany that it’s not going to work.

7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I didn’t think about that, but yeah that also makes sense. Either way it’s not that she’s moving on without him. More he realized that he can’t perform the same way he used to, and the band/she needs to find a way without him.

jkauf, Drewski and imthesheriff like this.
  8. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Watching this now. It's good so far!

9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

this was very clear

phaynes12 likes this.
  10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I loved this. Finally got to watch it.

11. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

the way they mirrored his "learning to be deaf" with addiction and recovery hit hard. Loved this movie.

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

13. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

well deserved

OotyPa likes this.
  14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

got best film editing as well

Zilla, manoverboard365 and Drewski like this.
  15. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Finally settled down and watched this. Fantastic and powerful. Riz had every right to be in all conversations about best actor even though I ultimately still think that Hopkins deserved it. Glad it won for sound and editing though.

16. OotyPa

fall away

I knew I loved this after first watching it, but the more I think about this movie, the more I realize it made a distinct emotional impression on me.

I've never watched Darius Marder's other films... they worth checking out?

17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i believe this is his directorial debut, no?

edit: yeah. he wrote place beyond the pines with cianfrance and directed a documentary over a decade ago. this is his first feature.

18. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

I think I remember liking The Place Beyond the Pines? It's been a long time since I've seen it. I remember it being very long too.

19. phaynes12

it’s extremely bloated but there’s some magic in it

estebanwaseaten likes this.
  20. imthegrimace

I just remember reading Ben Mendelsohn wanted to yank his teeth for the film and someone stealing pills from a pharmacy I think?

21. phaynes12

yes

imthesheriff likes this.
  22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

This is still, comfortably for me, the best of the Best Picture noms I've seen. Still need to Mank, Chicago 7, and Judas.

1. Sound of Metal
    2. The Father

3. Minari

4. Nomadland
    5. Promising Young Woman

23. imthegrimace

I honestly enjoyed the father the most but I wouldn’t say it was the best. I think I just had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Drewski likes this.
  24. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I think about the ending to this a lot

OotyPa, stayillogical and phaynes12 like this.
  25. phaynes12

best part for sure

jkauf likes this.