Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Soul, Funk and Motown Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Apr 21, 2019.

1. PauLo Apr 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 21, 2019)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

I never know if I should post any stuff about the classics in the RnB thread, so I thought I’d start a thread. Because why the hell not. I’ll start with a classic...

beachdude likes this.
  2. Otis Redding is my jam

3. PauLo

43% Burnt

4. The Lucky Moose May 3, 2019
    (Last edited: May 3, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

We needed this thread.

The two artists my dad introduced me to first, when I was a little kid, the artists that got me into soul and really music, are Wilson Pickett and Percy Sledge. Both are underrated in their own way: Wilson Picket doesn’t get mentioned enough in general even though in my mind he is one of the greatest, and Percy Sledge is too often being reduced to When A Man Loves A Woman, despite his deep catalogue of amazing songs and his unique voice.

5. PauLo

43% Burnt

In The Midnight Hour and Mustang Sally are classics. My dad used to have a soul and Motown classics type compilation cassette and we always used to listen to whilst on holiday. Probably helped shape my taste in music more than I realised.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  6. The Lucky Moose

7. The Lucky Moose

When I was a teenage I worked in the since-closed family restaurant in Amsterdam and in the same street there was a record store that only sold classic soul, R&B, funk etc. CDs and records. They had everything. It was amazing. I spent a lot of my tip money there. There was also this other CD store close by that had a good second hand rap and R&B section as well as a good supply of new releases, so that’s where the rest of if went, haha.

DeathOrGlory likes this.
  8. The Lucky Moose

Man this thread got me going down memory lane.

Remember when The O’Jays made one of the most beautiful songs of all time, about a dog that had passed away?

9. PauLo

43% Burnt

Listening to Wilson Pickett led me to Sam and Dave. So good.

DeathOrGlory and The Lucky Moose like this.
  10. PauLo

43% Burnt

Listening to some Parliament and I finally understand why g-funk was called what it was haha. Dre rinsed them when it comes to samples.

DeathOrGlory and The Lucky Moose like this.
  11. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Subbeedddddd. I got into soul in 10th grade after renting 'Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul' from the library and I've been hooked on the classics ever since. Al Green, Marvin Gaye, and Sly & the Family Stone followed.

I got so into it that I started an R&B/Funk/Soul/Disco show on college radio that I named 'Get Up, Get Down' after a song by The Dramatics. I have a bunch of obscure R&B compilations on vinyl and I've done a lot of research on the history of R&B in Canada.

This is my favourite version of this song

12. PauLo

43% Burnt

Been listening to this and the album it's on today. Nice stuff. Now i'm onto Superfly by Curtis Mayfield, which is such a fucking great album. Been on rotation loads this last month.

13. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Anytime you can share Bootsy is a good time.

14. PauLo

43% Burnt

Spinning some Isaac Hayes today. Dude made some fucking long tracks, huh?

15. PauLo

43% Burnt

Rediscovering my love of Mayer Hawthorne. After listening to so much older stuff recently, I feel like I can appreciate him a bit more. Some of the stuff produced by Pharrell hasn’t aged great, but still solid.

16. PauLo

43% Burnt

Not that similar to each other, but been listening to a lot of Roy Ayers Ubiquity, Edwin Starr and Gil Scott-Heron today. Some favourites...

17. The Lucky Moose

I was reading Eamon's Wikipedia page earlier today and it turns out he's another one of those 00s R&B artists who's career was throughly sabotaged by the record industry, despite the fact that he came on the scene with a global mega hit. It's a messed up story that sounds depressingly familiar.

Anyway, he put out a throwback-soul inspired album in 2017, which was his first one in ten years. Some good songs on that one, it turns out.

PauLo likes this.
  18. PauLo

43% Burnt

I love it when I’m randomly going through old soul comps and find the sample from one of my favourite songs of all time...

19. PauLo

43% Burnt

Man, I used to hate that Fuck it song haha. That song in the video is kinda nice, though. Might give the whole thing a listen.

20. The Lucky Moose

I liked it, the pettiness is still unparalleled lmao

21. PauLo

43% Burnt

The pettiness is great, his voice just grated haha. His voice has matured a lot though, so I’m digging what he’s doing now.

22. PauLo

43% Burnt

Looked at Eamon's wiki and this was in there. Made me laugh...

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018, Eamon announced that he is collaborating on a concept album with English up-and-coming artist Patrick Hewitt aka "Skepta”

23. The Lucky Moose Jun 17, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 17, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

Yeah, thought that was odd. Must be a mistake. It’s interesting to see though that he collaborated with all these underground rappers, haha.

Also I just remembered that Fuck It was so huge that a previously unknown singer made a reaction song to it that also became a real hit. So wild. That was also a gloriously petty song, haha.

24. stijn_p

Regular Supporter

such a cool funky summer tune, I really love Ramsey Lewis

cshadows2887 likes this.
  25. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

been getting into Bobby Womack and good god if he isn't one of the best to ever do it