Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sorry To Bother You (Boots Riley, July 6,2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

This was so weird. Not sure I’d recommend it, but it’s clearly a kitchen sink movie. He threw every idea he had at this... some stick, some don’t, but it was a wild ride.

2. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Not a ton, but he owns every second of it. As does Lakieth (and Danny Glover imo).

tdlyon likes this.
  3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, this is definitely a lot of ideas all at once. It kind of reminded me of “Dope,” where it’s a clearly talented, visionary director that’s so excited with the idea that they can’t stay focused on one thing.

But damn if it’s not the most imaginative movie of the year.

4. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Seeing this tomorrow. I had a ton of issues with Dope, keeping my expectations low.

5. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Wasn't this going wide this weekend? None of the theaters in town are showing this

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I think that's Friday or late Thursday

7. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Just looked, the closest it's playing is like an hour drive from me this weekend which is real unfortunate

8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Just saw it, its great.

Without giving anything away, its a little long and some ideas don't go anywhere and could've been cut, but it was visually great, great characters, great concept, and a lot of interesting absurdist humor.

I didn't know Kate Berlant was in it, she was great.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it seems fitting that this is the first movie I've done the Thursday evening thing for versus a Marvel movie or whatever like a normal person
    I love the idea of Lakeith and Tessa being a couple
    Steven Yeun, Jermaine Fowler and Armie Hammer were good in this too
    I assume the Left Eye thing was a reference to Lisa Lopes and her being a real one
    There was def a lot going on and it took a while for Armie Hammer to show up and stuff to really go, but this was a wild ride and weird movie
    gonna be fun to see the Cinemascore on this one

10. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Lmaooooo horse people! didn’t see that coming. Thoroughly enjoyed this. Most creative thing I’ve seen in theatres in quite a while.

beachdude42 and incognitojones like this.
  11. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Was *not* expecting that twist lmao jfc

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

one thing that doesn't make sense to me
    why did Steve leave the equisapiens with human conscience and memories of their past life, look if you want to create a hybrid animal for their brute force in the workplace you don't want them with a knowledge that they are being oppressed and who did the oppression because of course they'll inevitably revolt

13. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

I think Steve was expecting a revolt, which is why he needed Cash on the inside to be working for him to keep the revolt at bay, and I guess there’s more humanity in the equisapiens keeping their memories than just making them mindless drones?
    Anyway, this was definitely...a lot. Some stuff didn’t work for me, but definitely the most inventive movie I’ve seen in a while.

14. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Not sure how I feel about this. Definitely some great stuff but overall I’m not sure.

15. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Pretty much agree. I respect the hell outta this movie for going for it (and boy, does it) but as an entire movie idk how well it worked for me. The performances are stellar, though, and some of the ideas, like how it portrayed Cassius' telemarketing calls, were super well done.

I'm glad I watched it and I hope it does well at the box office so more movies with this one's guts can get made.

16. Dog with a Blog Jul 15, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2018)
    Dog with a Blog

The whole time I was watching it I thought it felt like a Michel Gondry fever dream and then they had that stop motion animation directed by “Michel Dongry” haha

17. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

seeing this today - super excited.

18. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

“capitalism is indeed organized crime and we are all the victims.”

Wharf Rat and incognitojones like this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

20. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Saw this today and liked others have said did not expect the left turn. I appreciated it as a surreal satire against capitalism. Enjoyed it for the most part but a little long and uneven. Had an awkward laugh during the party guests singing along to Cash’s freestyle rap.

Wharf Rat and incognitojones like this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

I was laughing my ass off during that rap scene tbh.

22. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

definitely did not see that twist coming (just like everyone else). but I think I enjoyed this overall? not sure. as others have said, this definitely goes for it. I'm just not sure if "going for it" really worked. I do highly recommend it - very fun overall and I haven't seen anything like it ever.

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

People in my theater were either laughing hard or in shock over how the crowd was rapping his "lyrics" right back at him

beachdude42 and Dog with a Blog like this.
  24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Wow I really wish I didn't get spoiled by reading a review months ago

I'm likely seeing this tomorrow though