Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sonic Youth Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Apr 1, 2016.

1. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I just saw that doc last week and had never heard that song before, so when I went to listen to the record after the movie, I was definitely a little disappointed.

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'll get on it. The vibe is something I've heard a lot about, but I haven't checked it out because I'm afraid it'll be more ambient vibe than songs, which is fine, but I think this band is best when they balance the two a little. I did really like the video you posted though so that's a good sign

3. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

The Kim songs on Washing Machine are so fucking good

4. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

This makes me really want to listen to it.

Aregala likes this.
  5. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

for some reason I always go on a big Sonic Youth binge at the beginning of summer. I still wouldn't even say I have a deep knowledge of their entire discography but maaaaaaaaan Kim kills it on Washing Machine

6. Randall Mentzos

The first song already has me convinced. Holy shit. About to go down a Sonic Youth rabbit hole myself. It usually starts with me listening to an album of theirs I haven't heard.

EDIT: and then Thurstons first lines are "100 dollars used to be enough" hahaha this album is legit why did I sleep on it

Aregala likes this.
  7. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

The title track ripsssssssss

8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

It's really easy to stick to your favorite stuff with this band, there's still a lot I haven't touched for like no real reason

Aregala likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

holy shit Kim Gordon is 65 today

10. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Kim “Medicare eligible” Gordon

Contender likes this.
  11. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

@ChaseTx what did you end up thinking of Sonic Youth??

12. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I enjoyed Daydream Nation a lot. Need to spend more time with it and dig in further

EmmanuelSCastle and Larry David like this.
  13. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Awesome. Goo, Sister, and Dirty I'd recommend for the next 3! That stretch from Sister to Dirty is such an incredible run

EmmanuelSCastle and ChaseTx like this.
  14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Thanks! Goo was gonna be my next one, after I give DN a couple more listens

15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I still can't believe how long Daydream Nation took to click when teenage riot is one of the best songs I've heard

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

excited for you to hear Goo

Larry David likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

is that one your favorite? feel like I rarely hear you actively stan for stuff, just an acknowledgement that you like it

Kool thing was life changing at like 14 lol

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah I'm more into Kim than Thurston, got hard to listen to him after he called Jezebel "gender fascism" haha

and yeah I def listen to everything but don't have many legit faves

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I feel ya, hard not to feel a weird mix of feelings hearing Thurston say "all you men are slime" on 100%. by contrast, Kool Thing is still extremely cool, she oozes charisma

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  20. Gooddayz

always and forever

Been listening to some Sonic Youth lately. I'm more familiar with their late 80s/early 90s material, so I decided to give Rather Ripped a shot since I love Incinerate. Holy crap what an album.. Pink Steam, Reena, Jams Runs Free.. so many gems

21. SilverScreen

Nihil Nihil

Good album, but Murray Street (2002) and Sonic Nurse (2004) are better.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  22. got really into Evol this weekend. that, Goo, and Murray Street are my favs probably.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  23. Randall Mentzos

All 3 of these albums are in my regular rotation tbh. Sonic Nurse is sometimes my favorite Sonic Youth album period.

jordalsh likes this.
  24. Murray Street is my second-favorite SY album as often as not.

jordalsh likes this.
  25. Gooddayz

always and forever

I really need to give Murray Street a listen! Seems to be a favorite pretty consistently.

I think the only pre-Daydream Nation album I've heard is Sister. I remember not liking it much

jordalsh likes this.