Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sonic Youth Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Apr 1, 2016.

1. DaydreamNation Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2016)
    This is the place to discuss this noisy legend of a band, now sadly defunct. If you've never listened to them before, I would recommend Daydream Nation as an entry point, and then depending on whether you prefer either that record's more experimental or pop-oriented qualities, either move backwards or forwards, respectively, through their expansive discography.

2. phaynes1

Regular

A band I need to listen to more. Love everything I've heard.

3. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

Goo and Dirty are two of my favorite albums I need to get into their later/more experimental stuff

4. If you're down to try something different from those records, I'd recommend EVOL

5. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

Thanks, checking it out now!

6. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I finally need to listen to at least Daydream Nation

7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

One of the greatest bands in the history of rock, anyone who says otherwise is full of it in my opinion.

neo506 likes this.
  8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I've been digging into their work on and off for about 3 years now. I've listened to Daydream Nation, Murray Street, Sonic Nurse, Goo and Dirty. Daydream Nation is my favorite but otherwise I prefer what they achieved on those later albums more.

9. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Goo will forever be my favorite, due to it being the first SY record I ever listened to.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. Gooddayz

always and forever

I remember hearing Teenage Riot on Rock Band and loving it. That's how I got introduced to them haha. I've still been meaning to spend a day listening to their discography from Daydream upwards. I've heard a couple of their records, but the one I've spent the most time with is Goo. Love it

11. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Finally got around to hearing Sonic Nurse and now all I want to do right now is listen to that record

Murray Street just got a capable challenger for my second favorite album of theirs. Sonic Nurse has both some of their best noise making and some of their best songwriting. (Hard to argue with Daydream Nation being king.)

12. Randall Mentzos

If you ask me Sonic Youth ushered an entirely new era of rock that was less involved with dancing and showing off and more about pushing modern instruments to their creative limits. When you listen to them and think "They were ahead of their time" thats still not giving them full credit. They directly influenced grunge, punk, shoegaze, you name it, I would say the majority of indie rock owes at least a small piece of their background to Sonic Youth and their willingness to break barriers, trends and descriptions.

13. Randall Mentzos

Okay but like wheres all the other people who like this band

We need to fix this whole lack of discussion about Sonic Youth thing

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

New solo Kim track

15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I just read Girl In a Band about a month ago, this is nice timing. Goo was my first Sonic Youth record (eighth grade me could not figure out what was going on half the time) and it's tied for my favorite with Daydream Nation currently. EVOL is also sick, that one was the first time when I heard noise be used softly, as opposed to an abrasive sonic assault. I gotta dive into the rest, Dirty has been on my list for a looong time

16. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I think I saw them tour before. Its been a while. Daydream Nation turned me on, and Goo nailed it for me.

I found this because Kims new song, which Ill listen to later.

17. junkmanserenade

Where are your friends tonight?

FINALLY listened to a full album (Goo) from this band today and I absolutely loved it. I already know to hit Daydream Nation next, any other recommendations of what else to listen to?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think the popular answer would be to listen to EVOL or Dirty

19. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Thread needs more love for Sister and Bad Moon Rising. I've been listening to those two a lot lately but their whole discography is incredible

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I have only listened to two songs off Bad Moon but I like those a lot. Gotta get on that one

21. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Dirty had Sugar Kane and 100% - singles, I think , that got airplay.

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Went on a whim to go see 1991: The Year Punk Broke and... I didn't love it. But Thurston was a lot of fun to watch and I am currently listening to Goo for the first time and digging it quite a bit.

23. SilverScreen

Nihil Nihil

I feel like Bad Moon Rising doesn't get enough credit. Out of all the Sonic Youth albums Bad Moon Rising has the most unique vibe. This dark, weird, mysterious vibe that lures you in.

Even though Death Valley '69 is the standout track, the first side of the album is seriously good.

EmmanuelSCastle and JRGComedy like this.
  24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I wish I Love Her All the Time was a little bit less aimless, because a lot of it is great.

25. SilverScreen

Nihil Nihil

I like I Love Her All the Time but the album version sounds a little bit restrained.

The version of the song they play on 1991: The Year Punk Broke is insane.

EmmanuelSCastle and JRGComedy like this.