Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Songwriting and Home Recording Thread • Page 65

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by nfdv2, Mar 10, 2016.

1. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

Thanks! It was a fun thing to experiment with. I ended up writing a whole EP in a week, haha.

2. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

What's everyone here use for mastering? I took a quick swing at mastering this remix I did in Ableton, but the low end was quite tough to sharpen up on the fly (which left me without a ton of headroom). I've been putting together a whole batch of songs recently, but this remix was a good trial run at some new mixing/mastering stuff. I just need to figure out what direction I want to go as far as getting some plugins.

manoverboard365 likes this.
  3. ClaSutherland

To tell the truth, once we wrote a song for our parent's anniversary with my sister and we recorded our guitar track on synthesizer. Indeed, it was our only song, but we got the real pleasure of the process. To cut it short, my duty was to write the words, but Sarah was working on music and recording. Frankly speaking, she is good at music and just works wonders. She ordered a simple model of synthesizers on sale on https://i4studio.nl/moog-synthesizerand but what she does is incredible. I never thought it is possible to do something such without special equipment and a professional recording studio

4. musicreviewer

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Hello everyone. I fell down a youtube rabbit hole with a new age hippie dippy movement called Conscious Life and watched a million crazy lectures about ascending to the 5th dimension through spiritual activation and lightworkers and awakening your soul's destiny and things like that. I took a bunch of quotes and turned them into lyrics for a few songs. They're kinda hilarious and weird but I love it. They're basically all electronic songs with a guitar kick in half way through (spoiler alert). Let me know what you think of this one!

6. manoverboard365

Trusted

This is great dude! As for mastering I am totally clueless. Although I have a friend who has used Landr in the past and recommended it.

7. manoverboard365

Trusted

Love this vibe man. The breakdown that starts around the 1:30 mark is really sick! Loved when the piano came in.
    As for the lyrics, I kinda wanna youtube Conscious Life right now, but it's midnight and I know if I look I'll probably fall into a youtube blackhole for hours.

Preserved Moose likes this.
  8. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Thanks a lot! I just found out the program I use has a video maker so really just thought I'd test it out with something and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out tbh. (I think it looks really cool even though it's just a generic stock thing).

Pretty pleased with how it sounds too in terms of layering all the beeps and boops and whatnot without making it a mess. Basically I always just want to add enough stuff to smother my voice a bit and hide my singing haha. Glad you liked it!

9. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

Every once in awhile I get the urge to blend genres or try things that I don't normally do. I write a song or two that I'm stoked about, but then I start losing steam because I think to myself, "If I keep writing songs that sound like this, they're going to all start sounding the same." And then I get kinda lost. Like, I did some lo-fi hip hop stuff recently (6 songs) but there really isn't too much diversity since it's mainly just Rhodes piano chords, a melody, and a simple drum pattern.

How do you guys keep your music cohesive with your vision, but still sound different enough to make each song interesting and unique?

10. manoverboard365

Trusted

Funny you mention genre blending, I've been spending the last few weeks working on an EDM/Pop Punk hybrid song (I basically completely trashed that last demo I posted here and only saved the synthy guitar lick). Trying a sound I normally dont do, and the one takeaway I've had was to just take my damn time. Never had much experience using 808 drums, and I just only recently started toying around with synths, so the ideas don't come to me as quickly. There were days I'd spend hours recording only to delete everything in the end. Can't speak on a whole project, since I'm only 1 song in, but I say that steam will come and go, just be patient!

Also I dug that lo fi song you posted a few weeks ago! Is that the only song from the project you've put out so far?

11. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, patience is definitely key when experimenting.

And thanks! Yeah, I think that's the only song I've put out so far. I keep meaning to post the others, but I keep forgetting, haha. Maybe I will post them all today and then post the link here for you.

EDM/pop punk hybrid could be cool! Maybe something like that Steve Aoki/Blink song from a couple years ago?

This week, I've started writing emo kind of stuff but instead of using real drum sounds, I'm using only 80s drum machine sounds. The song I'm working on now uses only LinnDrum sounds, which is fun. But you can probably see how a whole EP or album of twinkly emo stuff with an 80s drum machine could kinda all start sounding too similar, haha. So I need to figure out some ways to make each song that comes a little more unique or something.

12. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Have you tried just writing down how your songs are structured to actively make sure they don't follow the same pattern? A lot of the time i literally lay out how my songs look in an Excel doc in terms of how the intro starts, the tempo, the instruments, how the verse builds, how it ends etc.

Like say song 1 starts with just guitars and then drums kick in midway through verse 1 or whatever, then that structure is immediately off the table for the whole project and song 2 has to start another way. If song 2 has an instrumental bridge then song 3 can't and has to have a lyrical bridge instead and then song 4 has to be a totally different thing with no bridge and end with a totally new outro section instead of going back to the chorus or whatever.

Of course I rehash the same old structures and typical patterns a million times in general but as far as keeping things different and avoiding repetition or feeling stale within say a 5 song project or something then I think it helps to keep track.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  13. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I actually made a track like that too, funny enough. I demoed this out in a few hours. It's like Simple Creatures but a little more punk and a big guitar solo in the bridge.

I also used to write Drum and Bass style "punk" songs back in the day with my old band.... You might dig this demo as well. Again, lots of guitars at the end.

14. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

Keeping track of that kind of structure stuff is a really good idea. I will definitely keep that in mind! Thanks

Preserved Moose likes this.
  15. manoverboard365

Trusted

These are both awesome. The first song is definitely the vibe I was going for with mine too

16. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

I finally uploaded all 6 of my lofi hip hop tracks, which I wrote and produced in just one week under the name Pink Shoes.

Enjoy!

17. ChrisCantWrite

Dusted. Prestigious

Anyone have any recommendations for any decent sounding stand alone drum tracks? Looking to just layer guitar work over a pre-made track.

18. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

I would check out EZDrummer

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  19. manoverboard365

Trusted

This was chill to listen to while doing work. Good stuff!
    What's the voiceover from in the first song?

20. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

The voiceover is some random breakup audio I found. I thought it made the song sound even more depressing.

21. manoverboard365

Trusted

What do you all do when you record a song but it sounds too low? I've been using a PeaksLimiter plugin in garageband to raise it, but if you raise it too much it gets a little distorted. Is there a way to send a song to iTunes and somehow equalize it so all the songs are at the same volume?

22. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I think a lot of programs like iTunes do have an equalizer/normalization function for a temporary fix to that problem.

I've taken a couple of online courses about this type of stuff within the last month to figure out why my mixes were quiet as well (I knew it was probably a mastering issue but didn't know much beyond that). A lot of it has to do with properly balancing your mix and gain staging it in order to give yourself a lot of wiggle room when you go to boost everything during mastering. There's a lot of trickiness when it comes to perceived volume vs. regular volume because there can be things like a bass that is too "loud". It might sound good to your ear but then there are errant frequencies that are eating up all of your headroom and causing your whole mix to register as "louder" than it really sounds.

23. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Any recommendations for a mic that can double for recording vocals/acoustic guitar? Looking to get back into recording after a half-decade hiatus basically and want to upgrade from the dynamic mic i used before.

24. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

I use the same condenser mic for acoustic guitar and vocals.

25. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

I record basically everything with a Blue Yeti mic.