Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Songwriting and Home Recording Thread • Page 64

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by nfdv2, Mar 10, 2016.

1. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

Glad you liked some stuff on it! Most of the original demos I recorded of these songs were just played acoustically on a 4-track cassette recorder. So it was a lot of fun to revisit these old songs again and spice them up a bit. When I wrote the songs originally, I was very into Blink 182, The Ataris, all the old Drive Thru Records bands, which it sounds like you were able to pick up on. Haha.

Preserved Moose likes this.
  2. manoverboard365

Trusted

I'm 3 weeks too late, but I just started recording a new song and realized that I DO have a de-esser plugin. D'oh!
    Well now I know to use it going forward lol

SVXDan83 and Preserved Moose like this.
  3. manoverboard365

Trusted

Finally diving into this! I hear the drive thru record vibes, very early TSL. I really like the chorus in Tonight!

But when can we hear the songs about twinkies and ding dongs??

bradsonemanband likes this.
  4. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

I sat down about eight weeks ago and recorded my record. By that I mean, I had one hour of recording time so I walked in with my guitar and ran the songs front-to-back. No stopping, no redubs. I wanted to get the ideas out in a format better than an iPhone mic.

I started writing these songs in 2014. Having gone from tough times to preparing to propose eight days from today, I wanted to tell those stories. These songs are about joyful summer days, lonely mornings in coffee shops, coping with disability, and learning to forgive.

I want to release these , but don't want to rush through it. Call it pride, or my day ob as an attorney, or fear. Even with these, I would probably just pick the best 4-5 and drop an EP. I dream of a big bombastic full band version, heavily inspired by Matt Nathanson's Some Matt Hope and Jason Isbell's Southeastern.

But for now I have my songs and my guitar. And now so do you. I would genuinely appreciate any feedback.

Dropbox - Derek Dittmar - It's Time (demos) - Simplify your life

Hope everyone is doing alright!

5. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

I just wanted to give a quick comment: These are GOOD songs! Well done man. 4 songs in and really liking this.

derekjd likes this.
  6. derekjd

7. derekjd

Weird. Last comment didn't come through. Hey, thanks for the kind thoughts! Hope you enjoyed the rest, and would appreciate any feedback.

8. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

The link seems dead. You got them up streaming anywhere like soundcloud or whatevz?

9. derekjd

10. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

That link worked. Just gave it a listen. I'd say Reckless Heart was probably my favourite. Safe really reminds me of something that I can't put my finger on too. Like a song from the 90s that I can't place. If you do add more instruments I can really picture some of them with violins and pianos etc.

11. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

This week I’ve been experimenting and writing a lot of lofi hip hop/chillwave stuff. I think I have 5 songs done so far. Gonna probably release them all as an ep next week.

12. manoverboard365

Trusted

Hey all! Would anyone wanna listen to a new song I'm working on and give notes on the mix? I would just embed it here but I didn't wanna clutter up the thread.

13. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

I think embedding it here is the point of the thread.

manoverboard365 likes this.
  14. manoverboard365

Trusted

Touche.
    In that case, here's a song I've been working on for a couple of weeks. Was hoping I could get some feedback. I'm so bad at mixing and mastering! I need pointers!

15. straylight93

I did a little home recording of one of my favorite Sidney Gish songs, Mouth Log, this past weekend. Would love you hear anyone's thoughts on the recording and any suggestions you might have.

mitchellfranklin.bandcamp.com/track/mouth-log

16. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

I'd say the beepy synth thing and the lead guitar riff in the chorus are probably too loud and the rhythm guitar is too low.

(As always take my comments as pure amateur hour bullshit from a non expert BUT) I think it could maybe benefit from some EQing to make the rhythm guitars cut through a bit more and make it a little less muffled and give things more clarity.

Really like the song though!

The_Pioneer likes this.
  17. manoverboard365

Trusted

Thank you! I'm definitely gonna go lower the main synth track and the guitar riff hook. The rhythm guitar has been such a pain in the ass though! It sounds so damn muffled. I spent hours yesterday playing around with the EQ but it still sounded bad. I'm thinking it might be a combo of bad eq'ing and the crappy distortion plug ins that garageband offers. Might re-record the rhythms with my pedals instead of plug ins.
    @bradsonemanband recommended a pedal I've been intrigued with. Might order it and fool around with that for recording!

18. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Yeah I have trouble with EQing stuff too. I don't even have a guitar interface thing and just plug my amp into the mic socket so I'm not exactly starting with professional quality audio to manipulate in the first place haha. I've been trying to learn more though by watching hundreds of youtubes. This is a pretty good one if you're interested. Obviously every song is different but he gives quick run through of the basic zones to hit for each instrument from about 14 mins which might help.

morken and manoverboard365 like this.
  19. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

I think this generally sounds pretty good! I like all of the different parts and think the arrangement is solid. I want to echo the feedback on the synth and (to a much lesser extent the chorus lead guitar line). It might make sense to keep the synth where it is at the beginning and bring it down when the verse starts. I also think the synth tone sounds a little too pure/round/bright for the context of everything else (it's kind of in Owl City territory, which is fine but different from what I think you were going for - maybe I just want it to be another guitar part, but I think you can get a similar effect by adjusting the synth). The lower synth(?) line around 2:30 could come up in the mix a bit. I think I'd also prefer having the lead vocals higher in the mix across almost the entire song.

20. manoverboard365

Trusted

Wow this is awesome! To be honest a lot of it sounds like a foreign language to me lol. I'm gonna have to watch this a few more times and do some more youtube diving.

21. manoverboard365

Trusted

Thank you this is all super helpful! Toying around with the levels now and it already sounds better. Gonna mess around with other synth tones too and see if something fits better. Thanks!

22. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Haha yeah I've been watching these types of things for ages and it's only just about vaguely clicking with me now in terms of understanding their lingo and rolling off lows and scooping mids or whatever. Music production is one of those things I like listening to even when it doesn't apply or I don't get it. Like I'll watch someone talk for 35 minutes about picking and positioning mics for recording drums in the studio when I'm sitting here in my bedroom getting my drum sounds from a click on a screen haha.

23. bradsonemanband

Prestigious Supporter

Here's the first single from my new experiment: lofi hip hop instrumentals.

24. JakeRabin Aug 31, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 31, 2020)
    JakeRabin

I'm tired.

Can anyone here sing pop-punk in the style of Four Year Strong?
    I've got a song with a little tongue in cheek title I'd like to get done and all that's left is vocals.

I should specify I will compensate you for this.

25. manoverboard365

Trusted

Nice man this is a really chill vibe I dig it!

bradsonemanband likes this.