Songwriting and Home Recording Thread

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by nothingsforeverdude, Mar 10, 2016.

1. nfdv2 Mar 10, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 11, 2016)
    nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

A thread for people who make music to chat about songwriting, recording, gear and instruments, performing, etc. Feel free to post what you're working on (or you can do it in the share your writing/music thread B-)) but try to avoid just posting a bunch of links without saying anything else

Self-Promotion Thread
    Share Your Writing or Music Thread (w/ feedback) (prestigious forum)

schlotty likes this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Going to be undertaking some self-recording with a more organic project this spring/summer. It's daunting but exciting.

Iago, Chase Tremaine and Meerkat like this.
  3. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

yay : - )

4. sponsor
  5. Sophos

Regular

subb

6. Snoblin

Chaotic-Good Goblin Person Supporter

I see now. This is what you were getting at.

7. bradsonemanband

Brad Frequencies Prestigious

good thread idea!

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  8. Chase Tremaine

theherox @oursbyaccident oursbyaccident.com Supporter

I'll be performing tonight for the first time since August, when I was playing drums for Nelson Romantic, by Nelson Romantic except this time it's playing bass for More Than Yourself, by Blind Breed . Tonight's gonna be crazy in a lots of ways. First off, it's very peculiar for me to be playing in a band where I took no part in the songwriting process. Yet I joined simply because I love the songs--it's like getting to be onstage with a band you're a huge fan of. Secondly, tonight's crazy because the four of us have only had three practices altogether as a unit. So far we've been gelling extremely well, which is cool and surreal in its own right. Finally, it's just crazy to be having a performance in Nashville TN having lived here for less than 2 months. Music capital, where I'm now playing bass and screaming for a cool little hardcore band highly influenced by Thrice, Brand New, and I the Mighty. Wouldn't have it any other way! I definitely look forward to partaking in the writing process for this band in the future though.

9. Chase Tremaine

10. Chase Tremaine

Another funny/cool thing about the show ^^^^ last night was the opening act was a guy named Matthew Kennedy who used to play for The Graduate and The Dangerous Summer.

11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I've got 11 out of 12 tracks for my album (mostly) done. Very excited to share those here soon.

12. Chase Tremaine

YAAASSSSSS

Craig Manning likes this.
  13. troyplaysbass

reunion tour Supporter

Matt's a really great dude.

14. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

something i haven't really thought about for home recording; audio editing software. i don't have a Mac so GarageBand won't be an option.

also, i've had the same laptop since college (five years ago) and this really fuckin' needs to be replaced

15. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

go w/ ableton or reaper, the latter is free, the former can be found online

Spencer Rhoton and AndrewSoup like this.
  16. Sophos

Regular

ableton for sure i wish i wouldve started on ableton, i have a copy of it but its really really deep and has so much more to it and is built a tad bit differently than other typical DAWs so i havent taken the time to learn. plus i mean, logic pro is fucking great and i have all my external software perfectly integrated with it, but sometimes i wonder what would be different if i started on ableton.

dharkins likes this.
  17. Sophos

Regular

but also nuendo and cubase are great DAWs that ive had a little work in with each and am a fan of.

18. Snoblin

Chaotic-Good Goblin Person Supporter

I know not a lot of people use it on this forum, but Studio 1 is a very good DAW.

batmansgrapple likes this.
  19. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Subbbbb

20. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Prestigious

Would this be an appropriate thread to talk about instruments? I have an old telecaster knockoff guitar that my friend and I want to mess with to hopefully sound better. The one thing is he wants to sand it down and repaint it and I kind of love how fucked up and dumb looking it looks.

21. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Reason >>>>>>>>>>>

dharkins likes this.
  22. Mr. Serotonin

I'm about to do a battle of the bands sorta contest next week. If we win, we get like $10,000 worth of equipment. Really hoping we win so I can start adding way more on to our recording equipment.

23. troyplaysbass

reunion tour Supporter

That's an awesome prize. The best thing any of my bands won in a battle was recording time at a really small and sort of shady studio. We never even redeemed it.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  24. Mr. Serotonin

Damn, that sucks. We get some sort of publishing/marketing deal, $2500 guitar center gift card, $1000 cash, and some sort of Nashville gig I believe. The total value is $10,000, but we really only get around $3500 worth of personal equipment. Still pretty badass though.

25. sponsor
  26. Fucking Dustin

That's a name Supporter

27. Sophos

Regular

No DAWs are really "better" than others when you start talking about ones that cost money. You just have to learn how to use yours inside and out. At this point, I can sit down at any new DAW and have my head wrapped around it in about an hour or two of playing around. You just have to really, really understand how signal flow works and then you can work on anything

dharkins likes this.