Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Songwriters Sign Open Letter “Pact”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mark Savage, writing for BBC:

In an open letter, the writers behind songs like Dua Lipa’s “New Rules” and Ariana Grande’s “7 Rings” said “a growing number of artists” were demanding a share of publishing royalties, even if they had contributed nothing to a song.

”These artists will go on to collect revenue from touring, merchandise [and] brand partnerships,” they said, but “songwriters have only their publishing revenue as a means of income”.

They added that composers were often subjected to “bully tactics and threats” by artists and executives who wanted to take a share of the songwriting royalties.

You can read the open letter at The-Pact.org.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. SupMikecheck

@SupMikecheck

Danggg, Im kind of glad Im still 100% independent

Ska Senanake and theasteriskera like this.
  3. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

If someone writes a song for an artist, then an album is named after the song, a world tour is named after the song, with tons of merch sold inspired by the song... How much does the song writer profit from that? I figure it's completely situational & spelled out in detail in some contract?

4. Jason

Regular

They would get nothing....

5. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Well, the writers get performance and mechanical royalties. That said, the artists get neighboring rights royalties through SoundExchange, so I don’t see why they have any principled right to reach into the publishing cookie jar. Seems like a pure power grab.

theasteriskera and Jason Tate like this.
  6. Jason

Regular

Yeah, but the person I was replying to seemed to think a writer got royalties based on the title of a song being used in a promotional aspect.

7. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

The performance and mechanical royalties are the technical terms I was looking for, thanks!
    Nothing about my proposed scenario is "promotional"; they're very tangible, calculatable products based entirely off of a songwriter's intellectual property.

8. Jason

Regular

So for example, if a writer had a track off Bieber's most recent album and the title of the song was "Justice", you're basically asking if the writer would make extra if his tour was called The Justice Tour or if he sold a t-shirt with the title "Justice" on it. No they wouldn't make anything and it would make no sense for them to get anything.