Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Song to Song (Terrence Malick, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, May 24, 2016.

1. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I can't wait to see how the marketing dept. tries to sell this as a classic rom com

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Immediately reminded me of KIDS except that poster is iconic and this is not

Aregala likes this.
  3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I wonder if they're really trying to push this to a major market. His posters are usually so beautiful and this one looks like a clueless marketing department creation.

Aregala likes this.
  4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Or maybe this film is way off from his other films? SXSW seems like a puzzling place to debut a Malick film, especially with Berlin happening not even a month before.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Aregala like this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think it's because it's set in Austin

coleslawed and Aregala like this.
  6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Oh yeah, didn't he shoot some of it there a while back? I had forgotten about that. Makes a bit more sense.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

The trailer is on iTunes and it looks beautiful. Mara seems perfect in this role (no surprise).

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

10. Morrissey

Trusted

That trailer had more dialogue than Knight of Cups and To the Wonder had in their entire films.

I did not know this was coming out so soon. Very exciting, and it looks like it could be at least slightly more popular and thus make it easier to see. Still haven't seen Voyage of Time.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

12. Dog with a Blog

Anybody seent dis? I just realized it's playing at a theatre about 15 minutes away from me. I'll probably go this Thursday

13. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

It just opened near me as well. Was thinking of seeing it this week but wondering if I should get acquainted with more of his filmography first as I've only seen Badlands and Days of Heaven (I know, I know, I know).

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  14. Dog with a Blog

Yeah, I would at least watch The Tree of Life first cause I feel like his work makes a pretty big shift post The Thin Red Line.

Edit: I haven't seen The New World

Aregala likes this.
  15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I think everything from The Thing Red Line to present reflects on each other, so I would honestly advise seeing all his other work before seeing anything new (I realize this is not always possible for some/most.)

Can't believe I've still got a month to wait for this one.

Bloodsucker II and Aregala like this.
  16. Seigfried

FKA The Celibate

Easy answer would be you don't have to at all, since you're already familiar with his style in general. If it's like his more recent films then it will probably be even less plot-driven than Days of Heaven. If you have time to watch something before then, then watch Tree of Life

Bloodsucker II and Aregala like this.
  17. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

thank you everyone for your beautiful insight. I will probably try and see one of his films (either Thin Red Line or Tree of Life) before seeing it later this week. Unfortunately won't have time for the others with coursework, and it looks like Song to Song won't be playing after this week ):

18. Morrissey

Trusted

There is a very clear and progressive continuum from his first film to now, each one less focused on narrative and more philosophical. If I had to suggest a place to start, Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line give you a clear look at his style without being too overwhelming. Badlands is a great film, but it is much more conventional.

coleslawed, CarpetElf and Aregala like this.
  19. Dog with a Blog

Omg I just fucking threw out my back. I was planning my whole day around seeing this movie. I don't think I'm gonna make it to the movies tonight :(

20. Dog with a Blog

Fuck my back, this is my one day off, I'm seeing this. God I'm so excited, I've never seen a Mallick in theatres

21. Morrissey

Trusted

My car was totaled in a wreck on Monday and I have not been able to see this or Personal Shopper. The inconvenience of living in a car-obsessed country.

imthesheriff and CarpetElf like this.
  22. Dog with a Blog

I will say, that is the one thing I will miss about living in the Bay Area. I can bike/Bart everywhere.

EDIT: also, sorry to hear about your car. Hope you're ok!

23. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Realized this doesn't actually close here this week!

Taking that positive news as a sign to catch up with as many missed Malick films as I can before going to catch this.

24. Dog with a Blog

The Tree of Life is a must see and one of his highest acclaimed. A lot of critics didn't like To The Wonder but I thought it was absolutely beautiful. I still haven't seen Kight of Cups.

Aregala likes this.
  25. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Are you alright?