Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Song Clip Fiasco (Encore Episode 122) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

On this week’s episode of Encore we mourn the passing of Prince, discuss Beyoncé’s surprise album release and look how perfect the marketing behind this roll out seemed to be, and try and predict what the new Blink-182 song you’ve all heard would sound like three days early. We discuss Bayside’s new album, The Hotelier releasing a new song, and then tackle some listener questions. We discuss the “image” of bands, our favorite vinyl, how we read websites and why, and then debate if we can declare that emo has been “revived.”

Sponsor

The Ivins: These two red-bearded brothers – Jim and Jack Ivins – are from Richmond, VA and have just put out a new EP. We play a clip of “Stockholm Syndrome” on this episode and you should go check these guys out and like them on Facebook and all that so you can be notified when their new album comes out.

Hosts + More

Show Notes

• RIP Prince, one of the last remaining superstars that were truly superstars. Madonna remains from that tip-top level for Jason. Prince hit #1 and #2 on the Billboard 200 following his passing.
    • Beyoncé dropped her visual album Lemonade on HBO and Tidal. It went up on iTunes a bit later. We compare it to Kanye’s latest album release process (or non-process).
    • We’d like to acknowledge that a blink-182 song is out there in the world, but we didn’t talk about it since it wasn’t out yet when we recorded. However, Thomas already has an opinion on it. He thinks it’s fine.
    • Bayside will release their seventh album Vacancy in August, and tour with The Menzingers (new album imminent?) and Sorority Noise.
    • The Hotelier released a new single, “Soft Animal,” at 3pm on a Friday.
    • We had some listener questions:
      • Adam Samiljan: Following on the last episode where you discussed using Spotify, Apple Music, last.fm, etc. for discovery, when someone suggests a new artist for you to check out, do you ever look them up on YouTube to get an idea of the band’s imagery in addition to their music?
      • @DerekIreland87: What’s your favorite LP and why? Also, can you please recommend a decent cheap record player for starting out?
      • @tweetingmumble: How much time do you spend on the edit of the podcast? And how much is edited out?
      • @Eric_Sweatshrt: With bands like The Hotelier, TWIABP, MoBo, Foxing, Into It. Over It., etc, do you think emo has finally been “revived” and now represents the current state of rock?
      • @david_parke: You mention people “visiting a site” multiple times a day. I love rss/ feedly. Do you really prefer visiting?
    • JT Recommends: Madonna’s whole discography. The Bombpops. Not On Tour – Bad Habits. Sturgill Simpson – A Sailor’s Guide to Earth. Started Horace and Pete.
    • TN Recommends: Carrie, the first novel by Stephen King; Bruce Springsteen’s cover of “Purple Rain” is a free download right now, Start-Up’s third season just started.
    Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

and here we go!

Jason Tate and teebs41 like this.
  3. Smage Apr 29, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 29, 2016)
    Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

Thanks for taking my question! Going to that Irving Plaza show inspired the question but the show was so good. As Thomas said, Pinegrove just grabbed everyone, even my girlfriend who at first reluctantly came with me lol. Into It. Over It played so tightly and seeing the scope of TWIABP on stage was a sight. Sadly The Sidekicks were just OK to me.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Definitely second the recommendation for Sturgill. Also recommend that people check out the sponsor. The Ivins EP is tight, and Jim Ivins has been releasing great stuff for years. This one has always been my favorite of his:

Jason Tate and JRGComedy like this.
  5. billcom6

What time does the vinyl discussion start?

6. klaszlogt

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Also, if you listened to the Hotelier's new album by hitting play every 30 seconds to hear clips, I feel legitimately sorry for you. Go outside or something.

sean_rugy and Jason Tate like this.
  8. Tim McCall

Regular

Simply stunning should been the title for this episode.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Mattww

Regular

When I first heard the pine grove record I thought it was ok but didn't really 'get it.' After hearing Thomas' speech on the podcast I gave it another go and completely saw it in another light m, it's really excellent.

You may well have covered this in a previous podcast but I'd be interested to know times where other people's views have significantly changed your opinion on an album or at least made you give it another listen

10. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

weirdly condescending mentality tbh

11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I'm not sure what's wrong with doing that.