Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard, May 25, 2018) Movie • Page 94

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

2. Greg

Nah, just general thoughts of a quote paraphrased. Does it fit Edwards a bit? I guess. But I don’t think he is solely into the visual end of things.

Brother Beck likes this.
  3. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I know I'm over-senistive because I'm a fan of the guy, I think he seems like a pretty genuine dude, and literally every single thing I have ever read that Tiny Gilroy said about Rogue One made Tiny Gilroy sound like a complete and massive prick. Like insufferable asshole.

4. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I haven’t seen Solo since the theater but I really enjoyed Rogue One on my rewatch.

5. Greg

I don’t have an opinion on Gilroy. But if the Rogue One we got was the better version of the movie, then whatever Edwards was doing must not have been working.

the different versions of the movie are apparent throughout the film for me. But I couldn’t tell you who is to to credit or blame for what.

Brother Beck likes this.
  6. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

That's why I have such conflicted feelings about the movie - I know I'm biased because I'm a fan of Edwards and it kinda seems like he got a raw deal. But on the other hand, I think Kathleen Kennedy is inarguably one of the greatest producers of all time and I trust that she knows what it takes to make a good movie.

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

She’s a very successful producer but the non-saga Star Wars movies aren’t exactly home runs

Brother Beck likes this.
  8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I know none of us were inside the editing rooms with them watching the rough cuts, seeing what was working and what wasn't working, but from the outside looking in, it sure seemed like both Lord & Miller and Gareth Edwards were delivering exactly the type of films the projects were announced and initially hyped as before the decision was made late in the game to drastically change them.

9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

My growing appreciation of Return of the Jedi recently knocked Rogue One down to my 5th favorite Star Wars film, but I still easily prefer it to anything outside of the original trilogy & The Last Jedi.

Solo, meanwhile, is in my bottom 3, having fallen below The Phantom Menace. But, a lot of people worked hard making that movie twice, so for their sake, I'm glad some people like it. I'm just personally very much so not one of 'em. The major key Imperial March recruitment music & Han meeting Chewie are the only elements I remember fondly. *shrug*

coleslawed likes this.
  10. Rewatching Solo tonight. Still a very enjoyable movie. Better than most Marvel films.

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Solo is so damn fun and actually feels like a Star Wars movie despite the production turmoil that should have made it completely unwatchable. Rogue One feels the impact of the studio interference more than Solo does somehow, it drags a lot in the first 2/3, and really only comes alive in ways that have nothing to do with the actual cast of the movie, who are mostly uninteresting aside from the droid (the best part about the movie is the effects and the sense of scale that it creates in the final space battle and the battle on the planet surface). It also manages to create some really glaring narrative inconsistencies with how it leads into ANH. Plus it gave us ghoulish uncanny valley Tarkin and Leia. It’s still better than the prequels and it’s not a bad movie, it’s just massively overrated.

coleslawed likes this.
  12. flask

Trusted Supporter

Rogue One is way better and I feel like Solo adds way more inconsistencies to the OT. Like the robots AI is trapped in purgatory in the falcon? Nobody knows or cares to mention that Han is a deserter from the Empire??

Your Milkshake likes this.
  13. Anthony_

how are those things narrative inconsistencies?

14. flask

Trusted Supporter

Inconsistent is the wrong word but they’re just strange decisions to me because they’re not brought up in later movies but now when I watch the OT I’m like damn the falcon is Lando’s robo gf the whole time. It’s like Anakin being C3PO’s creator. Like....WHY?

Leftandleaving likes this.
  15. Anthony_

Ok but like Darth Vader literally watches Leia’s ship fly away with the Death Star plans in Rogue One, and they know he saw them because they were running from him trying to get the plans on the ship, but then in ANH Leia tries to play innocent and tell Vader that they’re representatives of the Imperial senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan lol

coleslawed likes this.
  16. flask

Trusted Supporter

And he immediately tells her to shut the fuck up.

17. Anthony_

...right but she knows that he knows so it makes no sense that she’d try and act like he doesn’t because Leia isn’t a fool. Also the way Carrie delivers the line in ANH, it’s clear that the intent was that she thinks her cover story is supposed to work/be believable lol

18. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I really like Jyn, Chirrut, Baze, Krennic, K-2SO, & Cassian. Never really understood the issue people had w/ the characters, especially in comparison to Solo. I'm pretty pumped for the Cassian & K-2SO spinoff series on Disney+ so those characters can get expored further, especially if Mon Mothma and/or Bail Organa show up at some point. (Just hope it doesn't become a prequel to a prequel & get the Solo treatment of explaining things that don't need explained, or shoehorn in elements that don't organically fit.)

19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I’d say my number one issue with L3 being part of the falcon is it seems super fucked up of him to then gamble with it. Though I suppose he thought he was guaranteed to win with the card up his sleeve.

20. flask

Trusted Supporter

We don’t know how long the chase was and Vader doesn’t know who’s on the ship. So Leia can feign ignorance and stall and hope the senate might take care of this since the DS is supposed to be a secret. The two movies work for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21. flask

Trusted Supporter

I also think Lando is gonna have a ~moment~ with the Falcon and mention L3 in TROS.

22. Anthony_

this does make sense but nobody said you can’t like it anyway haha

flask likes this.
  23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

This would be lame bc there’d be no reason for him to not technically have done that in Jedi

24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

As awesome and fun as it was to see Vader kick unholy amounts of ass at the end of Rogue One, my honest opinion is that it was a mistake from a narrative standpoint.

Probably why all of my screenplays are unproduced, but still.

coleslawed, Leftandleaving and Nick like this.
  25. flask

Trusted Supporter

I also think it would be extremely lame and I still think it’s gonna happen lol