Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard, May 25, 2018) Movie • Page 93

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

It’s not my favorite, but I would support this cause.

2. Assumed you meant the cartoon series since I specified it's better than all the prequels. Unless you meant the cartoon movie which I include with the series. But yes it would be better than that on its own.

3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I personally don't think it's that flat. And I'm a sucker for really good cinematography, and the look and feel of RO, with the gritty/dark feeling and tone we see, really matched the tone of the Star Wars universe, a tone and feel we hadn't got before in another Star War

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. Greg

That makes sense. Character and story are more important to me and add substance to the visuals. It is an incredibly great looking movie. It’s just a bit shallow for a good while. I don’t hate it because it is still incredibly well shot. But the it could never be my favorite because of some of the flat characters.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  5. Greg

Who refers to Clone Wars as one of the prequels? And it was a theatrically released film. It’s a movie. Not a good one, but one none the less.

6. My mind is all over the place. Mixing up attack of the clones and clone wars. Whatever. Both are poop.

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. NitrateDawn

Regular

This seems like a contradiction to me

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

To clarify, when I say "really matched the tone of the Star Wars universe", I mean as to how the universe must be like in person, without any of the comedy/funny bits we see in the main films.

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I didn’t make clear I was talking about post-OT movies

there are only 4 good Star Wars movies. TLJ is the only good one since 1983

Nick, coleslawed and mescalineeyes like this.
  10. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Most of the time I feel like the only person in the world who prefers the first 2/3 of Rogue One to the final 1/3...

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i just think R1 really finds stride once they attack Jeddha - it feels messy up until then imo

i still think R1 is a great movie though, and i dont think there have been any bad Disney films

aoftbsten and Brother Beck like this.
  12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

Brother Beck likes this.
  13. Greg

Eeeewwwwwwwww

haha I don’t get that AT ALL. Def a minority opinion.

Brother Beck and Ferrari333SP like this.
  14. Greg

Yea, I don’t think it’s awful, just lacking for a SW film. The third act is great, overall a good movie.

Brother Beck likes this.
  15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

That's art man....continues to amaze how the brain treats it in different ways

Dodger and Brother Beck like this.
  16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Like Ferrari pointed out, the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. Rogue One is the best looking modern Star Wars movie. I actually love the slower pace. Granted, I am a HUGE fan of Gareth Edwards' visual style. I find the way he shoots his movies to be absolutely riveting and captivating similar to Kubrick.

The final 1/3 of Rogue One is obviously really exciting and it's pretty awesome on its own, but to me it clearly feels like what it is - the studio getting cold feet and brining a completely different filmmaker in to punch up the ending and make it more action packed. I'm not even saying I think they made the wrong call, only that I would love to somehow someway see how Gareth Edwards originally wanted to finish the story he was telling.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I agree that it does feel a little messy through a lot of the runtime, but I do think they played with the whole movie a lot in the editing and with the rehoots, not just the final battle, even if that is where most of the work / changes were done.

18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I am also still on team “we want this shot in the movie”

BCEE4339-1D1E-4617-A3E3-36D3CA8809CD.jpeg

19. Greg

To paraphrase some dude, a pretty looking movie (special effects/cinematography) without a good story and characters is a pretty boring thing. People tend to confuse them as an end to themselves, but they are the means of telling a story.

20. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Just found this: How Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Changed During Reshoots

21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I completely respect this point - but I just wanna say that I don't think it's quite fair for us to hold the shortcomings of the movie that we did get to see against Gareth Edwards. I fully believe that he had the movie completely taken away from him and reedited after more extensive than usual reshoots done by an entirely different filmmaker. I think he has just chosen to take the high road and not go against how the studio tried to keep the good publicity / PR / spin going and downplay what went on. I have a massive amount of respect for him as a person and as a professional seeing how he has handled himself since then. I only regret that it seems to have kinda knocked him outta the business a little bit.

Rogue One as it was released is still an awesome movie. I just don't think it's the best way to make movies to decide so late in the game that the entire idea of what everyone had been working towards is wrong and change the entire thing from the ground up in the eleventh hour as they did with Rogue One and Solo. The massive cost of that pretty much sunk Solo, which if you just look at what's on screen should have been a relatively modestly budgeted movie as far as sci-fi blockbusters go.

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Still remember seeing his first big film Monsters and loving it

23. Greg

Who is blaming Gareth Edwards?

Brother Beck likes this.
  24. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Solo is better than Rogue One

25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter