Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard, May 25, 2018) Movie • Page 88

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Dodge725

Trusted

I think the shock was more supposed to be about her youth than her gender, but I did know it was a female character going in and that may cloud my read on that scene.

bodkins likes this.
  2. bodkins

Trusted

I thought it was youth and the fact that she wasn’t going to kill them. In other words, the twist was she’s not the villain.

Connor likes this.
  3. Ya, the reveal is that she's not a villain, but actually a rebel-type trying to do good.

Connor and bodkins like this.
  4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Part of that reveal is that she's a young woman. They use her youth and gender as part of the signifier that she's not what we thought.

5. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I thought it was clear from the get go she was a female. Didn’t think “that” was the reveal. More the age and “oh, she’s not gonna murder solo. Cool” Was to me

bodkins and aoftbsten like this.
  6. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Sidenote:

It's cool to come in here and read positive and real SW discussions as opposed to Instagram and Facebook where it's just manbabies bitching about how Kathleen Kennedy and Disney ruined Star Wars.

You guys rule.

7. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

What made you think that? I honestly had no clue about her gender or age.

I thought the reveal was a little weird. Maybe because as soon as she took off the helmet my brain was like, "OH! wait... who is that? *brain scans new canon* *returns empty* who is she!?!?!"

8. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

The mask voice came off as feminine to me. I was off on her age though.

9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

10. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

I liked this more on the second viewing. It still seems like a film nobody was asking for.

11. ship90

Trusted

I haven’t had a chance to listen yet, but someone put together a good list of what Ron Howard discussed in the Empire podcast
    Solo Spoiler Special Ft. Ron Howard

• There are no concrete plans for a Solo sequel
    • A Lando centric film could be on the table
    • While Disney would like as many films as possible Lucasfilm is trying to be methodical in what films they choose produce, but also be courageous in those choices
    • There was a list of options for the "boss" at the end and Howard lobbied for Maul
    • Jabba was on the boss list
    • Boba Fett was never slated for inclusion
    • Lucasfilm is actively listening to the fans
    • Jon Kasdan was in constant contact communication with Pablo, Jon was Ron’s conduit to Pablo and canon details
    • Pablo helps encourage creative choices
    • Ron hints that a war amongst the five crime syndicates could have potential in a film
    • Ron talks about real world crime syndicates controlling ports or trade routes and the government turning an eye. Then at a certain point the government comes in and takes over again, resulting in a battle. Sounds to me like this is the pitch for a sequel.
    • They’re looking to develop a television version of Willow with Warwick Davis
    • L3 isn’t 100% absolute certainly part of the Falcon permanently. He opens up the possibility of Lando rebuilding L3 while the Falcon keeps part of her as well.
    • Ron dispels the rumor that the Kasdans didn’t approve of Chris and Phil encouraging improvisation. He says both Phoebe and Donald improvised a lot.
    • The scene between Qi’ra and L3 was a late addition. Kathleen, Jon and Ron conceived it as they wanted them to have some connection before Kessel, Jon wrote it overnight and they shot it the next day.
    • Ron wanted as much Chewbacca as possible

12. Nathan

If Kasdan didn’t have an issue with Lord & Miller using improvisation, then my speculation, based purely on knowing Lord & Miller’s previous filmography and the text of the movie we got, I’m guessing they made a lot of revisions and changes to the screenplay to be more functional, where all the elements were actually thematically and emotionally intertwined. I’d also guess there were a lot more jokes. I’d guess that the Kasdans didn’t like their script being changed so much, and that’s where the conflict was. Because Lord & Miller have always produced works that were as close to as tight, functional, impactful, and meaningful as they could be, in addition to being very funny. The version of Solo that played in theaters is not really any of those things. I’m assuming it’s close to the Kasdan’s original script.

That’s just speculation, though. But man I wish Lord & Miller could have just made their movie.

coleslawed and ship90 like this.
  13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I crime syndicate war film would be awesome. I hope that's where they go with Boba Fett & Obi-Wan.

14. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

That was more what I was getting at, too. The actual reveal is obviously that she's not a villain, but the way it's set up makes it either seem like we should already have some idea who she is or that we should somehow know that she's not a villain just because she is a young girl (or something). I mean, I'm obviously nitpicking but oh well. haha.

15. It still bewilders me that, right after The Last Jedi, Disney/SW could mishandle Val and L3 so much. I can't help but wonder if Lord & Miller's vision would've changed that at all.

16. Saw this yesterday finally and I feel like I saw a different movie than most of you. I do not think it was very good at all.

I echo most of the complaints but man I'm not a fan of Alden. I've only seen him in this and hail Caesar but I didn't like him in either movie. Bringing maul into it was unnecessary and really confusing for the typical audience.

17. Nathan

aside from the channing tatum dance sequence alden was easily the best part of hail caesar, a very good movie

Surfwax, gonz (Alex) and Connor like this.
  18. NitrateDawn

Regular

Finally saw this last night and thought it was a pretty mixed bag. A few groan worthy moments that “explain” things about Han, and I did not like L3 and her relationship to Lando. The set pieces were mostly pretty fun though. And the Maul reveal was crazy (unfortunately had that spoiled for me or it would have been even crazier)

19. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Finally saw this. I really have no complaints other than the length. I’m never really super critical of these types of movies though. I don’t think it needed to be so long but also don’t know what I would cut. At times I kinda forgot Alden was playing Han Solo. But overall as a movie it was entertaining enough

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I finally went to see this on Saturday. It was weird sitting in the cinema before and having low expectations. I needn't have worried - it was a very fun film and I was surprised how convincing I found Alden as Han Solo. It was an unnecessary film but it was nevertheless enjoyable. Reading through this thread I can see the little cracks but it didn't detract from my enjoyment.

Also, I was confused by Maul as I haven't seen the cartoons. I was like "wait a minute, how old is Han?"

theagentcoma likes this.
  21. The more I think about this the more neutral I am on it. I don't hate that it exists, but I won't go out of my way to watch it again.

Also, I can definitely tell that my theater had the projection issues. The first 20 minutes of the movie were incredibly dark and hard to see. It's a shame because the movie does look great and I know i was not seeing it the way it was intended.

Connor likes this.
  22. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

Henry and EntryLevelDave like this.
  23. Dodger Jun 14, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 14, 2018)
    Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Went to see again and liked it a little more. Heres some thoughts
    - Enjoyed the Kessel run a little more this time

- Really liked how the final plan with Han predicting Beckett would turn panned out. the "whos Qira's side on" didnt really do much for me, but I still liked her.

- The amount of callback and explaining things we already know was still way too much

- I love Alden as Han so much and I still cant believe that after all that drama with him as Han he was my number one highlight of this movie. Id love to see him play Han again. Just give me a better story. Harrison is obviously Han, but Alden's performance made me smile the entire movie.

- Glover doing the Billy D impression I only noticed for one scene when the Falcon was introduced. It doesnt bother me that much because it was just one scene, but its so noticable lol Probably was taken early on in the shoot. Would be interested to see if he did that more before Howard reshot most of the movie.

- both Han and Rey both say something to the vein of "Ive already been gone for too long". She was waiting for her family like he thought Kira was and unlike Reys parents, he was desperate to come back for her. Really not much of a connection, but I like it.

- Lastly, and most importantly, to my left a dad with his two kids were constantly laughing and having a ball. When the time came he very audibly said “Darth Maul!” to his kids who were astonished. They were eating it up and it really gave me the feels.

helped me remember what Star Wars is all about and why I love it so much.

24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I had a couple of friends tell me they liked the Han getting his name bit. One said it reminded him of an Ellis Island type of situation where people just got new names upon arriving in America to start a new life.

For the record, I still hate it and think it's dumb, but I found it to be an interesting take.

Dodger likes this.
  25. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

In the old Legends canon Solo was actually a royal or prominent Corellian family right? And he had an uncle or something was his only living family but he was obsessed with the Coreillian Death Star station thing.