Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard, May 25, 2018) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Wow, was not expecting this. This movie could end up being a nightmare.

3. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

In their defence, TFA and Rogue One brought the franchise back to what made it special in my eyes.

Davjs and teebs41 like this.
  4. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Still wish these guys had done the Flash movie...

Davjs likes this.
  5. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Maybe now they'll have time to bring back Clone High.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Just let Donald Glover finish directing this. Atlanta is awesome.

teebs41 likes this.
  7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

It certainly brought the franchise back to what they wanted it to be. And, to be fair, what a lot of people seem to want it to be. It's not exactly what I wanted it to be (not that they owe me anything), and two films this close together with unique directors having creative conflicts, and knowing what's gone into the making of some of Disney's Marvel movies... I'm not into it. Thank God for Rian Johnson, but all this (combined with the Abrams and Treverrow hires), their priority is clearly not innovation and creativity.

coleslawed and FrenzalRob like this.
  8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Holy shit

9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Can you imagine? Disney would never let that happen, but it would have so much potential

beachdude42, Joe4th and aoftbsten like this.
  10. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yea, with all the Rogue One (although I do think that movie did take some chances) re shoots and now this, I've definitely lost faith in Disney letting directors have their own vision.

11. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

I agree with your thoughts about some (a lot) of those Marvel movies. Really don't like the clusterfuck they've become, although I am looking forward to Spider-man. I just hope Disney don't create a SW universe type thing where it all crosses over and becomes the convoluted mess that I feel Marvel is.

I feel as though playing it safe with TFA and Rogue One was a good move, considering the backlash Lucas got for the prequels. J.J Abrams lit the nostalgia furnace, and Gareth Edwards expanded on that and gave us the best Star Wars flick in years. Hoping those kind of vibes continue, while ramping up the creativity. They have no choice, with new stories developing, the writers can't continue to rely on nostalgia. (I hope!) I feel as though the shit TFA cops for it's lack of 'originality' is unfair, as it was still a good story that entertained and kept us invested, and isn't that what it's about in the end?

Hoping the Han Solo movie kicks ass. I have faith, based on the last two movies.

12. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Lord and Miller were the number one reason I went from being lukewarm to being pretty excited about this. Glover and Harelson being in the cast helps, but this is definitely a huge blow.

beachdude42 and FrenzalRob like this.
  13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I actually like this idea.

14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Trevarrow's new movie is supposed to be pretty terrible too...

15. Greg

beachdude42 likes this.
  16. Greg

Now they are saying they were fired. Shit.

17. Nathan

boooooooo

18. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Disheartening.

“Kathy, her team and Larry Kasdan have been doing it their way for a very long time. They know how the cheese is made and that’s how they want it made,” said the source. “It became a very polarizing set.”

Some insiders believe that while Kennedy wants to make a splash by hiring young indie directors such as Gareth Edwards (“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”) and Rian Johnson (“Star Wars: The Last Jedi”), she’s ultimately unwilling to empower them to make their own creative decisions.

beachdude42 likes this.
  19. drewinseries

Drew

lol wow.

20. NitrateDawn

Regular

Holy crap.

Can they just cancel the movie now? Those two were literally the only reason I thought there was a chance of this movie working.

beachdude42 and aoftbsten like this.
  21. Nathan

After what Edgar Wright, Ava DuVernay, Phil Lord & Chris Miller, and Gareth Edwards have been through with Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm, if you're an auteur, someone with a distinct style and vision and history of quality work, why would you want to take on a Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm project at this point? Especially if Phil Lord and Chris Miller, absolutely perfect filmmakers at making creative and engaging work within a major studio/franchise lens, aren't safe four months into shooting? Wright, DuVernay, Lord & Miller are brilliant filmmakers. Maybe this is a win in the end, I'll take the Baby Drivers and Selmas over any tepid franchise milk. Lucasfilm can have all the Colin Treverrow they want.

Maybe a bit more ranting and raving than a post 1983 Star Wars movie deserves, but I adore Lord and Miller. They're exceptional artists and people. This blows.

22. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  23. Nathan

to be fair to star wars this whole revival and the many, many, many mediocre movies it force upon us will all be worth it because they hired Griffin McElroy to write a short Star Wars story for some anthology collection and a McElroy brother holding Star Wars canon in his hands is one of the best things that's ever happened in this dumb world

24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I mean at this point, I'm not going to get excited no matter who they hire. They've made it pretty clear that any type of creative thought that strays from their ideas isn't going to fly.

beachdude42 likes this.
  25. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Like I said I still have faith being a huge fan of what Disney have done with Star Wars so far, and the fact that Han Solo is my favourite character in the franchise.

I'm torn though, I love creativity, and Miller and Lord have that in leaps and bounds.