Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Solange - When I Get Home (March 1, 2019) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Those songs absolutely pale in comparison to the best songs on A Seat at the Table.

And for me, an album does need standout, memorable moments if I'm going to want to return to it. The cohesiveness of this album doesn't mean much when the songs themselves are so lacking imo.

irthesteve likes this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yeah,"cohesive" can't be used as a crutch word when other aspects aren't as exciting

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  3. username

hey you lil piss baby

I think cohesion is just as important, if not more, when you're putting together a work that's trying to sustain a certain mood/tone/ideas. Not everything needs standout moments or big singles. Maybe that's not what interests you in music, but it's definitely not a slight against this album for not indulging in that.

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  4. OotyPa Mar 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 12, 2019)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I love ambient music and listen to it nearly every day. I definitely see both sides of the argument here, but I feel great mood-oriented music doesn't sacrifice composition for cohesion. Even drone can have particular moments where you can step back from the trance you'd fallen into and appreciate singular details. I've only listened to this album a few times, and not much has stuck with me, though I do find myself enjoying the first half more. Maybe it'll click at some point in the future.

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Art instilling different emotions in people is perfectly normal and there's no right or wrong

6. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

This album has definitely grown on me since it was initially released, but I still don't like it as much as A Seat at the Table. I hope she returns to more conventional songwriting on her next album if I'm honest.

7. irthesteve

Yeah I'd agree with all of that

8. PauLo

43% Burnt

I prefer unconventional song structure tbh haha

username likes this.
  9. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

This album never really ended up growing on me

10. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I enjoy unconventional song structures too, I just don't think Solange entirely pulls it off here.

11. irthesteve

Agree, again

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  12. username

hey you lil piss baby

Honestly, 9/10 I'd rather hear someone fail at trying something unconventional than repeating the same thing over and over.

PauLo likes this.
  13. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

14. irthesteve

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

16. incredible record

17. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I’m so glad I was able to see her play a set for this album

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen