Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Soccer Mommy - Clean (March 2, 2018) Album • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jan 9, 2018.

1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Woke up with Still Clean in my head and it's been that kind of day

2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Still clean is the only one I don’t really love

3. username

hey you lil piss baby

Finally saw her play live tonight and it was honestly pretty rough. She sounded great (when I could hear her) and the few tracks she played solo were the absolute highlight, but the full band stuff sounded so disjointed. Everything I’ve read about the lead guitarists playing is extremely true.

Barresi and trevorshmevor like this.
  4. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

There's this one in-studio performance by them where he's playing and it's like, painfully cringe. It might be KEXP? But it honestly comes off like something out a Tim and Eric sketch.

Edit: It's literally on the previous page, I'm dumb.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I feel bad because clearly that guitarist is not good, but also judging by her Twitter, she struggles a lot with dysmorphia, so maybe he’s also emotional support for her on the road (while also dating her). That’s a tough needle to thread.

6. radiodead

Trusted

I had heard rumblings about their live show. Wow that guitarist is atrocious. I love Sophie and her songs but she really needs a band around her that can do them justice. They’re coming here in 2 months and there is no way I’m dropping money to see them.

7. username

hey you lil piss baby

They also didn’t play “Your Dog” last night which is ?????

8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This sounded pretty great, but I think the other guitars were pushed to the back of the mix.

9. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Wow, that’s bizarre.

10. manoverboard365

Trusted

Is the guitarist in that Primavera video the same guy? Sounds like he's been practicing.

His performance in that KEXP video sounds like one of those SHRED joke videos.

Drewski likes this.
  11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I am seeing them next week at Pitchfork Festival and these replies are not making me excited. Now I’m worried they are going to sound bad live...

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I’ve only seen them once, opening for Paramore, but the guitarist didn’t bother me at all

ChaseTx and ItsAndrew like this.
  13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I saw them open for Stephen Malkmus and they sounded good.

14. I only saw them once but it was hugely disappointing. When I went to see Kacey earlier this year I didn’t bother to show up for their opening set

15. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

The two times I've seen them I didn't have a problem. The kexp video is rough though

16. radiodead

Trusted

Pretty sure he’s the one on the left. Guy in the blue is maybe a touring guitarist? That being said I’m not too familiar with the actually lineup outside of Sophie.

17. Yeah there’s a third guitarist in that Primavera video, and if you watch closely it becomes apparent that he’s heavily picking up the slack. At least it’s something

18. username

hey you lil piss baby

They had three guitarists last night too. Sophie, the guy that plays lead, and another split between guitar and keys.

19. ImAMetaphor

Unfortunately I don’t think it will really get better unless he leaves the band

20. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

While his less-than-stellar playing was apparent when I saw them last year, it also didn’t come anywhere close to ruining the experience and I still enjoyed the show. Some bands are just sloppier live, it’s never really been a dealbreaker for me. I mean, I was a Fall Out Boy fan in the mid-2000s, and live shows don’t get much worse than those.

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Exactly. I saw blink when Tom was in the band a dozen times and Tom routinely sucked at singing and Travis played way too fast.

22. username

hey you lil piss baby

They sound really great on the Pitchfork stream (even guitar homie) so I’m gonna chalk it up to technical issues at my show last weekend.

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  23. They sounded good Wednesday night

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I was there and they sounded great.

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  25. ImAMetaphor

He might just have good and bad nights