Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [Archived] Soccer • Page 476

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

all 3 of rooney's tournament goals

MrCon likes this.
  2. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

So sad how bitter England sports media is.

3. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Were they all in his first tournament as well?

4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

best plan is to replay rooney's corner against italy in 2014 over and over and over

(tbf, iirc, he had a beautiful assist in that game as well)

5. Wharf Rat

I think he scored in the latest world cup didn't he? Not sure. Not sure on the total number either tbh but it's def low

6. MrCon

We do him a disservice. He has 7 in competitions. He just happened to score 4 of them when he was 17...

Wharf Rat likes this.
  7. Garrett

Man, even Wondo got five in one competition.

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Everton leaving Goodison? Strange. Might hamstring them in the next few years, which is a shame because Koeman is doing a good job.

9. Hey everyone. Been a long time since I've been in here! Haven't really been watching much soccer on TV, but I have seen a few local matches where I am now.

Hope you're all doing well!

Dani, ugman_2000, RobbieBerns and 3 others like this.
  10. Garrett

dat ellie avatar :heart:

Keri likes this.
  11. Wharf Rat

As I understand it Goodison is extremely old and kind of falling part. Most people think it would've been inevitable eventually even if they weren't all about "ambition" and all that now. I mean there's been sagas about a new stadium since 2000 at least, most people seem happy to finally get it done

Nick likes this.
  12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah I see that, but Everton seem to be pushing towards finally making the breakthrough to get to a higher level than they've been stuck at (this is towards Spurs too, moving out of WHL). Moving to a new stadium isn't a bad idea, hell it's very good from a business POV. New stadium means, new income. Sponsors, more seats, an excuse to up prices etc. etc. but moving stadiums is a very volatile idea on a sporting level. Look at Arsenal, they're making bank sure, but to say the Emirates hasn't been at least somewhat of a weight around their neck would be lying. West Ham were meant to have a breakthrough this year, moving to the Olympic Stadium too and that's completely sucked the life out of that club. I just think on a sporting level it's a curious time to start a move, when they're on the up. Idk, maybe I'm wrong but it seems like something that will be a commercial success but sporting failure.

13. MrCon

It is volatile, but ultimately, Everton need to do this. If anything, making the switch while they're doing well makes more sense than when they're being mediocre, as they'll be able to command better sponsorship deals. Goodison has been causing them problems for years, so it's good for them that they'll finally get the move sorted (although, sad to see an old ground die, especially given that Goodison and Anfield bookend the same park).

I don't know if the Arsenal or West Ham situations are comparable. Arsenal had the weight of that big expensive stadium on them maybe a decade ago. The TV money was smaller and I think they took out a big loan to buy it, which is why they then spent years having to use the club revenue to pay it back. If Everton's owners stump up some of the cash (and I would expect the cost of building a stadium in Liverpool to be significantly less), then they might not find that so hard.

The West Ham situation is different again, because they've taken over a stadium which isn't designed for football or for them and isn't in West Ham anymore.

I mean, you could be totally correct and it will knock all the momentum out of them, but it looks like they're staying well inside Liverpool, which is a good start.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  14. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

Spurs are so lucky they didn't land the Olympic Stadium

15. MrCon

There was some suggestion that they never seriously wanted it and were using it as leverage to get better terms from the borough over redeveloping White Hart Lane.

RobbieBerns likes this.
  16. Ruethless

King of Europe

Drogba is apparently close to signing with Phoenix Rising, a USL team

17. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

Smart from Levy if true

18. Platy

Sam

That is an epic name for a team.

Garrett L. likes this.
  19. Wharf Rat

Yeah, staying in Goodison for 10 more years or whatever really probably wasn't viable. And even if it was viable from the standpoint of Goodison would continue to stand for 10 more years (which would have to be proven to me), it wasn't really viable from a fan's perspective. The combination of having been promised it for more than a decade and the recent new ownership and their huge money meant that the ownership really had to make moves on it quickly. Look how much we complained about the Arteta money, Moshiri not going for the stadium would've been a sign of bad faith at this point, honestly.

As far as money, I think we are pretty good for it. The stadium apparently will cost £300 million, which means it'll probably end up as more like 500m. Comparing to West Ham and Arsenal isn't really fair - we won't have the expectations of Arsenal and our stadium is made for us. And, even bigger than both of those I think is that the stadium will be part of a much bigger revitalization of that area of the city. So, you know, people will actually want to go to the area for reasons other than the stadium. Plus, Moshiri is loaded and if Uzmanov rumors have any legs then even better.

MrCon likes this.
  20. John Lopiano

Seamus Coleman just broke his leg. Ugh.

21. John Lopiano

22. Wharf Rat

Fucking brutal. Feel awful for him. Koeman must be steaming

23. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Neil Taylor is some fucking prick

24. Andrew

andrewlterry

So I don't understand how to watch the US game. It says FS1 is carrying the Mexico and US games, but they overlap. How do I watch?

25. Nick Mar 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 24, 2017)
    Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Bale too, dirty fucking bastards. Wales fans booed Coleman off the pitch. Scumbags.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.