Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Snowpiercer (Bong Joon-ho, 2013) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, May 27, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

[​IMG]

I just watched this movie for the first time a few months back and I have been obsessed with it ever since.

It's some of the best acting I've seen from Chris Evans.

coleslawed likes this.
  2. I fucking love this movie.

coleslawed and airik625 like this.
  3. Morrissey

Trusted

The director's name is backwards. His name is Bong Joon-ho.

Snowpiercer is fine, but the director made a film called the Host a few years before it which is quite great. It is a perfect example of economical filmmaking despite the conceit of a giant monster wandering around a city. Everyone should see it.

riotspray likes this.
  4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Just bought the Host, still have yet to see Memories of Murder but I've heard great things.

5. Night Channels

Trusted

Not anymore

6. Morrissey

Trusted

It is a common mistake, but it is odd that no one has changed it yet.

7. Night Channels

Trusted

The director is actually arranging his name like that now. The OP did not make a mistake.

airik625 likes this.
  8. Morrissey

Trusted

Where do you get this from?

9. Night Channels

Trusted

10. It looks like it appears on IMDB that way now

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I like this and The Host a good deal. I need to revisit Mother and finally see Memories of a Murder.

12. Morrissey

Trusted

IMDb has every Korean name backwards. They list Lee Chang-dong as Chang-dong Lee. IMDb is the only place that does this.

Korean names are supposed to be the right way. Think of the Kim dynasty in North Korea. You would not see Jong-un Kim or any other variant of it.

13. Night Channels

Trusted

I'm gonna go with IMDb

14. Morrissey

Trusted

Google Bong Joon-ho backwards and you will see that virtually every other publication lists his name correctly. The poster in the thread even gets it right.

It is an honest mistake that is made often, but refusing to acknowledge a cultural difference after having it explained to you starts to dive into a lot of unpleasant things.

15. Night Channels

Trusted

You don't have to explain things to anyone, yet you feel the need to do it constantly.

Have a nice weekend.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

There is no honor in defending a wrong position. You said that he had chosen to use his name backwards, going against all cultural norms in his home country. Your evidence was IMDb, which did not have a quote of him asking to have his name used incorrectly but instead IMDb listing his name wrong. IMDb lists every single Korean name wrong, from Hong Sang-soo to Kim Ki-duk to Park Chan-wook. It is doubtful that IMDb even knows what it is doing, because it is likely generated largely automatically.

Western people often have a hard time accepting that cultures may be different than their own, but Korea has a rich cultural history that deserves more than someone purposefully writing their name wrong after being told the difference.

17. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I see this problem come up a lot with Japanese and Chinese celebrities as well, so much that it becomes confusing as to which is the familial name. Utada Hikaru and Zhang Ziyi, for example

18. Morrissey

Trusted

A lot of Japanese business people and others have started reversing their names for the ease of Westerners, but this never really took hold in Korea (I don't know much about Chinese customs). Koreans take their names very seriously; when I lived there, I was never supposed to use what we consider a "first name" unless they were of the same age and stature as me. It actually makes sense in a family situation; if you were spending time with the Bong family, you could quickly correct someone thinking you were speaking about Bong Joon-ho from another Bong. It is also endlessly clunky to say "Joon-ho Bong" out loud if you try it, but Bong Joon-ho flows.

It is funny because in the West we still end up listing the "last name" first on many official documents and records.

19. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Overrated movie.

The use of slow motion is near Snyder-level. I like Chris Evans in general, but he can't sell the dramatic reveal at the end. The momentum also grinds to a halt in the third act, once Harris shows up.

20. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I really enjoyed this. need to get a copy of the graphic novel soon.

21. I didn't know it was a graphic novel.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

23. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Weird, can't imagine what this will be like as a tv show but I'll definitely give it a shot.

24. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Ehh

25. flask

Trusted Supporter

Movie is good but the first fight between the passengers and the guards is a top tier action scene. The first time I saw it I was on the edge of my seat with the way the momentum was switching between the two sides.