Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Snowden (Oliver Stone, 9/16/16) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by joe727, Apr 27, 2016.

1. joe727 Apr 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 27, 2016)
    joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

The true story follows Edward Snowden, an American computer professional who leaked classified information from the National Security Agency (NSA) to The Guardian in June 2013.
    Written and Directed by Oliver Stone

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Edward Snowden
    Shailene Woodley as Lindsay Mills, Snowden's girlfriend
    Melissa Leo as Laura Poitras, the documentarian who was one of the first people Snowden contacted and later won Best Documentary Feature at the Oscars for her film on the subject Citizenfour.
    Zachary Quinto as Glenn Greenwald, journalist with The Guardian, who along with Poitras was one of the first Snowden contacted, and later won a Pulitzer Prize for his work covering the leaked documents.
    Tom Wilkinson as Ewen McAskill, journalist with The Guardian who was brought in to help with the disclosure of the leaks.

Nicholas Cage, Timothy Olyphant, and Scott Eastwood also have roles

2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Love me some JGL. I don't know why I wasn't expecting him to change his voice to match Snowden's. Caught me off guard a bit.

3. His voice sounds pretty spot-on, but it's a little distracting. Skeptical about this, but I'll probably check it out.

4. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

looks pretty bad

popdisaster00 likes this.
  5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

JGL sounds like a child desperately trying to sound like a grown up...even more than usual.

6. looks awful

7. Nope

airik625 likes this.
  8. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I'll watch it. Will add it to my netflix queue at about 463 but I'll watch it

coleslawed likes this.
  9. joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

I'm disappointed in the fantastical 90's-esque depiction of hacking with visual effects here, I think Mr. Robot proved you can depict realistic hacking on screen and it can actually be more exciting looking than the typical shit they do in hacker movies.

10. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

Jason Tate and joe727 like this.
  11. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Man, I dunno... torn on this one. I like JGL and think he's a very talented actor, but his vocal decisions recently leave me scratching my head.

Also, Oliver Stone films are polarizing as hell.

12. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

new trailer is somewhat better, still can't get over that voice though

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

14. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

When are ratings usually announced for movies?

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I really liked this. Lots of facts and things thrown at you the two hours, but overall I found it fairly compelling. Hopefully it creates a bigger discussion about the themes and ideas in the movie among the public

16. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I'm curious about this, but like, I saw Citezenfour. I saw the events unfold in real time. It's hard to see this as anything but a cash in on a successful documentary that (I assume) told the story already and only two years ago. Any thoughts or counterpoints from those that have seen both?

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

The one thing I think that wasn't emphasized enough was the ethical problems with all this, because after leaving the theater, my friend didn't see what the problem was with the whole bulk data collection program. Like he didn't see why it was such a big deal them running this program. I tried to briefly explain the whole privacy thing, but if that was his first initial reaction, I don't think the film made it's point across hard enough

18. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

That seems pretty essential to the entire story

19. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

They didn't touch on that problem at all. In fact, the only argument against presented in the film was that his girlfriend didn't care because she had nothing to hide. Well it's not about having anything to hide.

I enjoyed the movie, but that was also something I felt that was lacking.