Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Snapchat Releases First Hardware Product

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Seth Stevenson, writing for The Wall Street Journal, on Snapchat’s new hardware product, “Spectacles.”

What initially appears to be a normal pair of sunglasses turns out to be Spectacles, the first hardware product from Snap Inc., as the firm has been newly christened (Spiegel is refreshing the company name because its offerings now go beyond the Snapchat app). When you slip Spectacles on and tap a button near the hinge, it records up to 10 seconds of video from your first-person vantage. Each new tap records another clip.

They’re hideous and I expect to see them at concerts in the not so distant future.

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

gross

3. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Garbage.

4. ale5875

Regular

They might be awful, but if every Snapchat user started wearing them at shows, there would be fewer phones up in the air obstructing my view.

5. CMilliken

Trusted

Gonna fail.

6. ianzandi

Regular

It's gunna flop but can't blame them for trying something new I guess. I had an idea a little while back of Instagram-inspired sunglasses like this that could just change the filter of everything you see. Camera and geotagging included.

7. danielinskeep

Photo Guy

This to me is the most beneficial aspect of these Snapglasses.

8. oneeightytwo

Regular

If they develop a remote for it, so you don't see peoples hands reaching for their glasses every 10 seconds.

9. SayHello

Regular

I like the idea behind them, but at that point why not just carry around a camera with you? I'm sure the technology is better and you can frame the exact shots you want. Plus, these glasses look VERY clunky and nerdy.

10. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

the 'any orientation' video is a pretty cool idea, but I don't see these doing well. Brands & celebs will hop on them and that's about it. Lower price point than google glass, but it's just 10 second videos and thats about it lol

11. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

remember the Instagram camera?