Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Snapchat Redesign Coming December 4th

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Snapchat will be releasing a redesign of their app on December 4th. Alex Heath has the scoop over at Business Insider:

With the company seeking to kick-start stagnant user growth, CEO Evan Spiegel on Tuesday publicly said the app would be redesigned to make it “easier to use” but didn’t specify when the redesign would be released. Snap employees were internally notified of the planned December 4 release date this week, according to a source familiar with the matter.

I don’t have a good feeling about Snapchat’s future.

2. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Easier to use? It's not exactly rocket science to start with.

emeryk3, oldboot and skogsraet like this.
  3. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I Snap my wife and that's about it. I don't look at anyone's stories anymore much at all. Any of my frivolous "expiring content" goes to my Instagram story instead.

Yes Snapchat has always been weird to use UI wise to me for some things for some reason.

David Parke and CMilliken like this.
  4. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

I wasn't aware it was complicated to use in the first place.

5. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Snapchat never really hooked me. Just felt like another thing I didn't need on my phone.

David Parke and Bayside 182 like this.
  6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

people are moving to instagram stories but i've never had interest in instagram, i use snapchat all the time though

7. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

It will take a lot to pull me away from the instastories.

8. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

As someone who's only used Snapchat to receive family photos and whatnot, I find the menu incredibly confusing.

9. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

You'd be surprised how much older people struggle with it. My mom is 40 and somehow can't figure it out

Jason Tate and Steve_JustAGuy like this.
  10. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Admittedly I'm a relatively limited user of Snapchat, but I've actually found it pretty confusing in the sense that it's seemingly always undergoing small iterative changes, adding new buttons, minor features or navigation alterations, but never so much of an overhaul that I know how to or why I should engage the new features, or adjust to the new required gestures.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  11. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

I think it's sad that Snap can come along and innovate the social media industry more than anyone since the advent of Facebook. They invented ephemeral messages. They make such beautiful software, and as far as i know, their target market (ages 13-25) find it incredibly simple to use...and then just have facebook come and rip off and copy every unique feature, add it to Insta, Whatsapp, Fb, messenger (badly and less beautifully)....but still 'cause Zuck effectively is the Walmart here, it totally stunts Snap's user growth and traction...and now they're in big trouble. I always found it sad when all my friends starting moving over to Insta stories from Snap just b/c with Insta, their stories were getting like 200 views as compared to like 17 views on Snap. I still have faith Snap will pull through. They just can't compete with a behemoth like Facebook.

emeryk3 and supernovagirl like this.
  12. That was a feature until they went public and need growth. Heh.

failinginplace and youwontknow like this.
  13. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Maybe I'm an old fossil, or I'm just not the smartest person in the world, but the Snapchat interface confused the heck out of me. Plus my one biggest problem with it - opening the application to a camera - will still be present even after this UI redesign. I've been using Instagram forever and will just stick with that.

14. youwontknow

What Snap went for w/ opening up to the camera is so it's the fastest way to capture and share a moment. Insta opens up to your feed so you scroll for half an hour.

15. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Yeah when you explain it like that, logically it makes sense, so I can understand its purpose. This was just my personal problem with it. And I think that's because I actually don't really use any applications other than the Camera app to take video or pictures, so I didn't like Snapchat immediately opening the camera. I use these social media feeds as a way to just upload what I've already taken. Again though, I can understand that not everyone uses it like I do. I'm not huge on social media so I'm probably in the minority anyway.

16. youwontknow

Hear ya!!

17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

snapchat lost me when they started posting all these news links and stories. trying to do too much.

18. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I’m terrible at Snapchat while my mom is a genius.

youwontknow likes this.
  19. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Snapchat is still ahead of its competitors with its superior UI. Got so much more features; group snaps, Snap maps, Bitmojis, Memories, private stories and so much more you can do with its UI. Even little tweaks like 'streaks' are often an effective incentive to use Snapchat. Plus, it's the original and not a direct copy with Zuckerberg trying to kill off other app's success.

They better not ruin the UI just because some people are too impatient to dedicate 5 minutes to learn. It's not like you have to read a bulky manual. Go through Settings or watch a tutorial video... or get a 5 year old to show you.

youwontknow likes this.
  20. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Plus, they need to be careful branching to an older (35+) demographic. They'll potentially alienate their core fanbase, as adolescents will find look to find another app just to have some privacy from their parents or distant relatives. That's what seemed to happen with Facebook anyway.

21. Snapchat is getting destroyed by instagram and losing money. They gotta do something

22. youwontknow

get a 5 yr old to show you. LOL

23. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

As a light Snap user, I've had to google multiple things to figure out how to do them in snapchat. How do I send multiple pictures in one snap? Well go offline of course, send them, then go online so they send at once. I didn't get that I had to tap my face to bring up the AR filters either. Overall, I find the UI to be atrocious, and I'm a systems administrator, so I use a whole lot of interfaces. I still find myself getting stuck in places and having to kill the app to get back where I wanted to be.

crunchprank likes this.