Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Snapchat Looking for $20 Billion Valuation

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 24, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Snapchat is currently raising more money at around a $20 billion valuation.

TechCrunch has learned from multiple sources that Snapchat is raising yet more financing at around a $20 billion valuation. Sources with knowledge of the deal say the social media giant is in the process of a round of about $200 million.

I didn’t really get Snapchat until I started to use it more. There’s something freeing about the app that separates it from the other social apps I use. I think knowing that things you post aren’t forcing themselves into your followers’ feeds (freeing you from being worried about spamming them), and knowing it’ll disappear within a day (freeing you from feeling embarrassed something is up forever), and being able to post quick random videos, makes the app oddly more sticky than I would have expected.

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

I slammed this app until i started using it. Then it clicked for me. Instagram/Facebook is very glossed over with people picking the perfect picture to share... Snapchat is more "this is my actual life"

3. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I feel like I uninstall Snapchat at least once a month. I just get fucking bored with it.

4. Agreed, I remember people telling me to download Snapchat three years ago. I passed for so long, saying it was dumb, etc. Finally downloaded it a couple months ago and it's a lot of fun.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

They've come a long way from just disappearing pictures, that's for sure.

6. StevenW92

Regular

I don't really know all that happens on snapchat but I couldn't think of anything more embarrassing then sending people a picture of myself.

7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I downloaded Snapchat back in 2012, had it for like 3 days and then deleted it. Then it became SUPER popular within what, the past 6 or so months? My wife is annoyingly OBSESSED with it and it's somewhat bothersome because she literally has to 'snap' everything all the time, especially with our son and dog.

It's like no more living in the moment. Everything has to be documented.

8. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I like just being able to spontaneously send picture of my life to people but on the other hand, I feel like a pest doing so. Plus, fuck those long ass stories of people just being in like Rhode Island or whatever, I don't care. Stop it.

9. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

You guys summed up my feelings – I forever considered this app for kids, but my gosh it's so fun. And yeah @Jason Tate I totally watch your snaps.

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I can also relate with this, sometimes it's a chore to go through everyone's stories, but it's nice to know they disappear eventually anyways so I'm mostly viewing fresh content.

11. Dumpweed182

Shut Up

Snapchat is probably my favorite app. It's a lot of fun.

12. jorbjorb

7 rings

Snapchat is annoying as hell. Glad I got rid of it

13. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

I remember bashing them so bad when they turned down Facebook's offer of 3 billion a couple years ago.

14. heymattrick

Sending my love

That's crazy. But it's also crazy when I realize I've been using Snapchat daily for almost 4 years.

15. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Facebook for news article sharing. Twitter for drunk thoughts/ramblings. Instagram for the Hot Dog I ate for lunch. Snapchat for when I'm killin car karoake.

Quin Stack likes this.
  16. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Snapchat is killing the social media game, honestly

17. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

exactly this. every update they do makes it better and better, it seems.

supernovagirl likes this.
  18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm just good with Twitter. To me, Twitter is the best invention of all-time. When I was in college, I used to bookmark like 50 websites and go to each one of them every single day to catch up on news, entertainment, sports, movies, etc. Now, it's all in once place and you can get everything you need to know in 5 seconds. I guess Twitter doesn't really have entertainment value (as a Snapchat), but if you want info fast and quick, it's easily the best place to go.

19. Dumpweed182

Shut Up

Twitter is excellent, but they offer vastly different experiences. I use and greatly enjoy both daily.

supernovagirl likes this.
  20. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

As stated above they are definitely totally different experiences. Like you said, snapchat has excellent entertainment value. Their filters changed the game, regardless of what anyone says.