Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Snail Mail - Lush (June 8, 2018) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Mar 21, 2018.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

this record really really hit me today. like, big time

it's kind of crazy that it's been almost a year and a half since the sxsw pitchfork article came out. that was enormous because that's when i knew that they were actually legitimately going to blow up. it's just so crazy seeing my pals doing so well and seeing how long since then that was.

people often think that when i talk about me being friends with the band and other bands it's all just bragging, but it really is just out of genuine love and respect for people i care about. i've known ray for four years and seen all the other bands he's been in, lindsey and alex for two years at a snail mail show in a tiny basement, and i've seen them six or seven times in total, seeing them work the songs out and grow in crowd every time. i'm just so insanely happy and proud of them that this record is so good and it's reaching so wide an audience, because they are wonderful people that truly deserve it.

2. cwhit

anyways, yeah. this is a record that you need to take in and let every layer fold back. just really really wonderful as the songs take their own structure and pull you in. it's a real good mood record but at the same time it works for so many different times.

3. username

hey you lil piss baby

Christ, quit bragging

This is why no one likes you here

4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I love this sm

5. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Let’s Find An Out is perfect

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

this really reminds me of Pedro the Lion at times but less slowcore. mostly a vibe thing

Kennedy likes this.
  7. Kennedy

You had me at Pedro

8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

do you hear it too? they're not sonically alike really but something there...

Kennedy likes this.
  9. Kennedy

I’d be lying if I said I totally hear it, but I also just love Pedro The Lion so I will agree with you on this no matter what, just for the sake of mentioning Pedro lol

10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'll think about what makes me think that more closely tomorrow and get back at you but I really don't think it's off base it's just harder to pin bc it's not anything obvious I think

Kennedy likes this.
  11. cwhit

funny thing is i'd be willing to bet lindsey has never listened to (or potentially has even heard of) pedro, haha

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Deep Sea —> Anytime is incredible

13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

that can't be true, anyone interested in indie rock's lineage would have at least heard of Control/It's Hard to Find a Friend

14. cwhit

it's from a very different angle of indie rock though. like, at least knowing ray's taste, he's super into all the exploding in sound bands and that sort of realm, like he was posting about lvl up and weed and bands like that, while i think pedro sort of falls more under the early JEW/american football realm of indie rock, but far less known. i wouldn't be shocked honestly, i just don't think their influences come from that direction

15. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I can see how the guitar work in this would remind someone of It’s Hard to Find a Friend.

16. Kennedy

Yeah I mean, I don’t know anyone on a personal level so perhaps Casey does have a better feel in that sense, but it does seem a little weird to me to say that someone probably doesn’t listen to X because they really love Y, hah.
    But anyway, I love how distinguishable all the songs sound on this album. It’s cohesive while retaining the ability for every song to have its own identity. That’s the true sign of a great record for me.

teebs41, jols and trevorshmevor like this.
  17. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Why wouldn't she have heard of Pedro the Lion? This seems like a strange and co descending assumption to make.

jols and trevorshmevor like this.
  18. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

She played in her church's band when she was younger, right? I bet she's heard of Pedro/Bazan.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  19. cwhit

what's condescending about guessing that someone might not have listened to a band? i also think she hasn't listened to dancegavindance, there's nothing condescending about guessing what someone has listened to based on their taste and influences

20. cwhit

maybe i'm wrong! i'm just saying that i wouldn't be surprised based on the scenes and influences i know the band members were apart of

Matt Metzler likes this.
  21. Kennedy

I never said anything you said was condescending buddy, I even mentioned you could have insight that we don’t have lol

teebs41 likes this.
  22. cwhit

your post didn't say that, i was just multiquoting them together haha

23. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I’d never listened to Pedro until like 2 weeks ago and only knew who they were because of Julien Baker.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  24. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I think the lesson to be learned here is that everyone should listen to Pedro The Lion (and subsequent work) because David Bazan is one of the best songwriters alive.

25. Kennedy