Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Smrtdeath Signs With Epitaph Records

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Smrtdeathhas signed with Epitaph Records.

Smrtdeath, the charismatic and controversial emo-rapper, has signed with indie powerhouse label Epitaph Records. Smrtdeath, born Mike Skwark, is a rising star of the emo-rap world, with over 20 million streams on singles like “Everything” and “Madman.” His distinctive vocal style and gender-bending glam-inspired image sets him apart from much of the rest of the sad-rap scene.
    “Signing to Epitaph is super exciting for me, many of my favorite past and current bands have signed there and it’s really cool to feel kind of validated by that world,” says Skwark. “They’ve given me the freedom to do whatever i want which is super rare and I love that for my creativity.”

Today, Smrtdeath shares his latest single, co-produced by Omega, Jordan Reyes, and Andi Inadomini in Los Angeles and mixed by the legendary Dave Pensado, “Back with Me” is a hook laden and 808-fueled emo-rap anthem.

“’Back with Me’ is a song about missing a relationship even though it was toxic,” explains Skwark. “It’s about longing for something familiar something to hold on to in a world that seems so strange and confusing even if the thing you’re holding onto is what’s sinking you.”

2. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

One of the worst live sets I have ever seen

jorbjorb and cricketandclover like this.
  3. btr

Trusted Supporter

Epitaph going through the whole Boyfriendz family, huh?

Chase Tremaine and tyramail like this.
  4. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

guess we're really just at the start of the emo-rap thing then?

5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I just don’t see this being lucrative for Epitaph but what do I know.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. BelieF

Regular

This ones a winner, safe hands.

7. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

There is actually a ton of money in this genre. Unfortunately.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  8. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I don’t doubt that, I guess I mostly mean who they specifically have signed recently. Last time Lil lotus was here he played to 250 people and I feel like that’s one of the bigger names they’ve signed. But maybe I’m out of touch haha

9. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Even if the live numbers aren't great, streaming is lucrative.

tyramail likes this.
  10. Is it pronounced..."smart death"?

11. -deleted-

-

I have a lot more fun saying sm(u)rtdeath.

12. GetUpAndrew and Anthony_Soprano like this.
  13. thisisasong

Can someone tell me why this says he’s controversial? Never heard of him until now.

14. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

It's a buzzword-y way to say he's incredibly fake edgy

thisisasong likes this.
  15. thisisasong

That sounds about right, pretty much exactly what I figured.