Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Smashing Pumpkins Band • Page 45

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 3, 2016.

1. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

My favorite band and favorite albums of all time so yes I endorse getting into SP at any time.

2. NitrateDawn

Regular

One thing that I think is great about discovering the band now is not having the baggage of having been a fan in the 90's and having that expectation for their newer work. I think people getting into them now have an easier time taking their post-'07 stuff on its own terms. At least that was my experience becoming a fan around '09 or so

3. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I always love to see stuff like this, I’m glad you’re enjoying them.

I find this time a year perfect for an album like Adore, it’s a more mellow album that always feels like autumn to me. So if you think you might like that then that album might be a good place to go next. You can’t go wrong with any of their 90’s output though.

4. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

...alternatively, if you are in the southern Hemisphere and it is feeling like spring/summer, might i suggest a fine Siamese Dream

Mary V and Rowan5215 like this.
  5. Mcrx

Regular

I thought Mary had posted here before and was referring to the poster above. lol

but yea, MC and SD and even Adore all hold the test of time. I'd argue to say that all of them would be fine for fall thought, I mean, "Disarm"...also, "Bodies" is kinda well, meloncholy, as well as the hippy trippy tracks on that duel album. ;)

Actually, I'm pretty sure I heard Monuments to an Elegy this time of year too...

Mary V likes this.
  6. NitrateDawn

Regular

Just discovered this podcast and I'm really enjoying it so far. Nice to hear people not be cynical and not rag on everything post-2000 as well ‎The Smashing Pumpkast on Apple Podcasts

I also just listened through all the singles again for the first time since they all came out (been trying not to overplay them before the album comes out) and I'm loving them a lot more than I did at first. With this trajectory the album will definitely be a grower but could be something really special. It's funny, I used to dream in high school about SP putting out another concept double album and I never stopped to think we're actually getting that haha. Great time to be a fan

ugman_2000 likes this.
  7. Horrorca

Trusted

Adore is such a perfect Autumn album (no pun intended)

Mcrx, ugman_2000 and manoverboard365 like this.
  8. NitrateDawn

Regular

Lots of big news here!! Some bullet points:

• They're working on a conceptual sequel to both Mellon Collie and Machina.
    • SaOSB Vol. 3 is about 75% done
    • The MCIS/Machina sequel will actually be released before SaOSB Vol. 3 and will have 33 songs
    • They'll be doing some sort of Mellon Collie themed tour for the 25th anniversary, but it won't be playing the album from front to back

Mcrx likes this.
  9. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Mcrx and NitrateDawn like this.
  10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

honestly it’s hard to care about a sequel without d’arcy involved

11. manoverboard365

Trusted

Did she even really contribute to MCIS though? I thought I read that Billy wrote and recorded all the bass parts.

12. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Im here for the tour, I could give a shit about the album honestly.

13. NitrateDawn

Regular

She didn't play on Machina though

14. NitrateDawn

Regular

I think MCIS is kind of the one album where that didn't happen, although Billy's said conflicting things over the years. I believe all the members played on that album

manoverboard365 likes this.
  15. manoverboard365

Trusted

I just hate it when bands say they're making a "sequel," cuz you know it'll never live up to the expectation.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It's just gross how Billy deleted D'Arcy from the narrative

Joe4th likes this.
  17. cherrywaves

Trusted

I thought it was Siamese Dream

18. Horrorca

Trusted

especially a sequel to such a monumental album

I’m staying the fuck away

that tour though...

19. phaynes12

upload_2020-10-22_19-52-44.png

the only album she didn't play on in full was siamese dream. she's also on adore and left the band after.

who gives a shit about a machina sequel lol, MCIS is what is grabbing the headlines

manoverboard365 likes this.
  20. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Machina 1+2/deluxe/completeeeeee

21. manoverboard365

Trusted

Haha I do! Have you heard machina 2? They released it for free right before the breakup but it's still not on any streaming services. Combining those songs with Machina 1 and its ranked behind MCIS as their best album, depending on my mood.

Mcrx likes this.
  22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Wait I'm confused - doesn't the article you included basically say that was the one she did play on?

23. phaynes12

the screengrab is from the wiki page for mellon collie lol

what are yall talking about

24. tomdelonge

Trusted

I don’t think BC is a very reliable source, but Butch Vig has also said Billy played bass on Gish and SD. To my ears, most of the bass on those records sounds like Billy.

But Jimmy has talked about D’arcy’s underappreciated influence on the band as a tastemaker. He’s said if she didn’t think the song was a keeper, they’d abandon it.

25. tomdelonge

Trusted