Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Smashing Pumpkins Band • Page 44

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 3, 2016.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I really liked the last Smashing Pumpkins record, but it feels like I was alone in being so positive on it.

I'm pretty hyped for this.

tomdelonge likes this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it's good bc it's basically a chavez album with billy singing. firmly matt sweeney riffs

3. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I hear nothing that reminds me of Chavez, especially in riffs..

4. phaynes12

from zwan?

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Ohhhhhhh jk

I thought this was in regards to the last SP record.

6. Mcrx

Regular

Lol I mean, that's kinda (kinda) where I am. I mean, I've listened to Zeitgeist and liked it, and I was in love with Monuments for a time, but never could get on board with Oceania really. And the last one was just ok.
    I mean, just ok to my taste. What else am I missing??

Mary Star of the Sea, right? I still have to listen to the album, but really liked that song.

As for the new stuff, well, I "like" them, but I don't love them. And I haven't yet bothered with the videos. I do like how Katie Cole is featured. I've been following her for awhile and have yet to really hear her contribution lol. She plays bass too, right? Is she even on any of the records tho? (I mean, prior to this current one)
    Anyway, I try not to comment really unless I feel more positively, but I was bored. Lol

7. Still catching up to their discography, I did actually like Zeigeist and Oceania and don't get the hate for those (yet?). Monuments on the other hand sounded like a bunch of first stage demos that Billy decided to get properly recorded and put together. I couldn't tell one part that was memorable.

Still have to hear the recent EP and the side projects I guess.

8. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

there are a lot of amazing unreleased/unrecorded zwan songs... "a new poetry," "down down down," "chrysanthemum," "glorious" etc. etc.

9. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i think oceania is actually pretty good but it still doesn't quite justify the existence of sp mk 2 for me. no album has yet (though there are always reliably a few jams per project)

10. tomdelonge

Trusted

Orla and Damien like this.
  11. tomdelonge

Trusted

Remember the Teargarden By Kaleidyscope???

coleslawed likes this.
  12. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

hopefully it's not controversial to say that zwan were a much better live band than the og pumpkins. most of those shows are total journeys. i treasured my glass house bootleg for years

Damien likes this.
  13. cherrywaves

Trusted

14. phaynes12

it's not crazy. sweeney is one of the more underrated guitarists around and they had fucking david pajo from slint on bass. band was loaded.

15. pbueddi

Trusted

NitrateDawn likes this.
  16. Mcrx

Regular

i watched the anime videos and new songs yesterday. Again, Wrath is another i'm not big on, but I loved the animation and Colour is growing on me.

17. NitrateDawn

Regular

airik625 likes this.
  18. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I think I may have posted it in here before, but I was plesantly surprised with the Billy Corgan solo album from 2005 when I first listened

19. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

It’s not his best work by a long stretch but I still enjoy that album. There’s some really great stuff on there.

20. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Just picked up Pisces Iscariot and Gish on vinyl to complete my run of the best Smashing Pumpkins albums. I now have Gish through to Machina.

Slowly completing my collection, I’d love for a Oceania repress at some point, that album seems to be going for so much these days.

Mcrx, NitrateDawn and MexicanGuitars like this.
  21. It’s never too late to get into Smashing Pumpkins, right?

Listened to some of Mellon Collie for the first time last night and was blown away

22. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

it's always a good time for classic Pumpkins

carve out some time for Siamese Dream, it's essentially a perfect album

Mcrx, Fill Your Lungs Up and Mary V like this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

24. NitrateDawn

Regular

Welcome, glad to have you! My favorite album of all time, and there's so much other great stuff from them to discover

Mary V likes this.
  25. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Oh wow, welcome. Definitely stick with the classic lineup before exploring the more recent stuff. Enjoy!

Mary V likes this.